Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any of you fellas playing? Pretty dang fun, need to step up my riggin a little though...

What's the 'fire shooting? Rigs? Ammo?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have anything fancy. Just an old Glenfield bolt action that's hell on squirrels. I did shoot a whistle pig at 97 paces with it many years ago. It likes CCI Stingers.

As a sidenote, I caught a groundhog out in the middle of a freshly plowed field one time. I'd say he was about 250 yards out. I put him all the way in the bottom of the scope and let one fly. Short by a good 10 feet, and he was off and running. I kept lobbing rounds in on him and chased him all the way to the field's edge. I got one pretty close, as he really kicked in the afterburners, as best as a woodchuck can. I was laughing so hard I could barely hold the gun up. He stopped at the edge of the field and looked back, trying to figure out what this source of consternation was coming from. I held about 15 feet over him and shot the last round. He decided it was safer to just get the heck out of Dodge and went down a hole. Man that was fun!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lucky is the man whose rifle likes Stingers. They are killer-dillers. Been a long time since I shot a chuck with a .22, but the last two were with Stingers; one head shot, one heart, both DRT. Only LR I trust on body shots for chucks. All the .22 tests I've read of late show they combine decent penetration with good expansion. Accuracy is a matter of luck.

Velociters have been more accurate in my current rifles, and the tests put them near the top on penetration with good expansion, but the published velocities are a bit optimistic. Have yet to use them on game. The Winchester equivalents look good on paper, but my guns don't like them, and I've had several misfires, so what's left go in the pistol plinker pile.

What fresh Hell is this?
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What was the deal with Stingers? I thought there were some rifles you weren't supposed to shoot them in, IIRC.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nevermind, it's a 10/22 thing.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My first gun was a Remington 511. I still have it, and it shoots as good today as it did 60 years ago. I also have a pair of 10-22's, one with a heavy barrel, the other just a run-of-the-mill one. I also have a very old Winchester 1906 that I drag out and shoot every now and then, along with a couple of 22 pistols. I shoot a lot of different 22 shells........Federal, Winchester, Remington, and have shot Singers and Mini-Mags. To be honest, for what I do with a 22, I can't tell a lot of difference in any of the ammo.

I use a 22 mostly for pest control around the farm, but have killed a couple of coyotes with one. As far as I'm concerned, a good old Long Rifle Hollow Point is the only 22 ammo I'd ever need for the kind of use I have for one.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 16bore
Any of you fellas playing? Pretty dang fun, need to step up my riggin a little though...

What's the 'fire shooting? Rigs? Ammo?

A poster, who's name I don't recall, has been talking about using his .22 rimfire at 440 yards. Keep watching, he'll probable show up.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah....I've seen it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ruger 77/22, Nikon 3-9 rimfire scope, shooting Remington hollow-point “Golden Bullets”.....from the bench at 100 yrds., on a calm day, 1 1/2” to 2” - 5 shot groups. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a stock 10/22 stainless that I just tried a half dozen brands of ammo in. It shoots the 36 grain Mini Mags well. I put one of those Weaver Grand Slam tactical 3.5 to 10 from Natchez on it in some Burris XTR signature rings that take up to 40 MOA inserts. IIRC I have 25 moa in them. My 50 yard zero is only 3 clicks from bottom but I can click out to 300 yards now. Not hunting accuracy, but I can keep them on a paper plate at 200 yards if there is no wind. At 300 I am all over the butcher paper. I've only done it 3 times now, but it is a lot of fun. The Rings were expensive enough with the rail, if I were to start again, I would probably just use a swfa fixed six for all of its adjustment range. I have two nice wind flags that rotate and show speed, Etc. It is amazing to watch what a tiny shift in the breeze does to those little bullets way out there. I will do some more experimenting with it, but have really just been using it to play with while the big guns cool down at the range.

Last edited by IDMilton; 09/28/18.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B3

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
200-225 yards seems to be about 270 Win 500 yard drift, so it's a good place to play. IMHO.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Stingers will not even chamber,in a good rifle. Hint.

As to Dastardly Distance Rimfires,it's easily arranged,especially in 22LR. Pardon the Anschutz 54 1717D HB Hummer at the bottom. I'm fairly certain,that copious erector travel,conjoined with copious inclination,is the ONLY way that such dots can get connected and simply put...the more the merrier. 40 Mils of available erector travel,is a nice place to be and as a "rule",it typically takes 75 MOA of inclination upon a concentric platform,to yield same,on the other side of a 50yd zero.

[Linked Image]

A guy can drive Krunchenticker LR Rimfires in 17 Hummer(Garrow).

[Linked Image]

As well as 17 Whizzum (JARD or Franklin). Straight blowback makes me nervous in both Hummer and Whizzum and I'll happily take locking lugs over same.

[Linked Image]

Often intellesting,to mix various Rimfire Rifles/Chamberingss and their platforms up. 22LR,17 Hummer,22WMR,Hummer and 17 Whizzum here.

[Linked Image]

Big Vudoos(top) are easy to shoot well,especially when wearing a Stainless 2-ounce Shilen trigger and 10x MQ...though only 70MOA inclination,which is a bummer.

[Linked Image]

Leetle Vudoo's are farrrrrr more handy and Utilitarian by literal design and it's nice to have an ULTRA Accurate 22LR,that just "happens" to be ULTRA ruggedly reliable. I've fhuqking flogged on this sonofabitch(8000rds+) and never fretted "weather" or "conditions". The Herd of Anschutzeses while fhuqking squarely splendid,simply cain't begin to hang in like conditions.

[Linked Image]

Very,very,VERY fhuqking FEW folks have even a first inkling,of what a Skookum Rimfire can do 5,6 and 7 football fields away...which never ain't not funny to hear. It cain't be fathomed,until it's experienced and it's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Hint.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been down the 10/22, 20MOA rail, SWFA road....probably do it again.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Bite the bullet, go Voodoo.

AIAX Chassis, NF 3.5-15x F1

[Linked Image]

2x 10 rounds groups at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oof......I'll take the ten 10/22's, thems big $$$

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My niece's son and I sunk some of my model boats in the stock tank from about 200 yards. We were using a Remington 514 single shot and a Marlin Model 25 with various Federal, Winchester, and Remington 40 gr round nose bullets from bulk packs. What they will formally do at that range I can't say but once the holdover was determined, it wasn't too difficult to lob bullets close to the ships.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd like a 10/22 chambered in 5.7X28

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you don't wanna spend Vudoo money, I totally get it.

I do however have to point out, that I do not think there is a remote chance of having more fun at the range for cheaper.

It's just damn incredible to stretch a modular, CRF .22lr out to what most would consider insane distances and then add up how much the ammo cost vs. how many times you tripped the trigger.

Will you make a bunch of first round hits at 440? No. But you certainly will start to see wind patterns and make corrections based on the feel of the wind on your cheek vs. the back of your neck and question yourself "did that really just happen?" as your hit count goes up and the lightbulb gets turned on.

Can you do this with a Savage or 10-22? Maybe, but I've got a hunch the answer is no.

I've certainly seen 10-22's do things they aint supposed to do, just not at stupid distances, so feel free to prove me wrong.

In my opinion, premium barrels and superior ignition give the Vudoo and Anschutz an edge in ES/SD that the others do not possess.

I'm looking forward to Tikka getting their schidt together on the T1x quite honestly, and I sure hope they knock that one out of the damn park as it looks like a great little set up that's starting to get it's own aftermarket and is certainly at a good price point.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higbean

I'm looking forward to Tikka getting their schidt together on the T1x quite honestly, and I sure hope they knock that one out of the damn park as it looks like a great little set up that's starting to get it's own aftermarket and is certainly at a good price point.

I'm waiting too. Bought and paid for last January. Maybe it will be an unexpected Christmas present...

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Higbean is correct. The Voodoo does things that nothing other than a Anschutz single shot BR can do. We’ve got several tricked out $1,500 10/22’s, CZ Tacticals, etc. While they all can and do produce good groups, they also sometimes don’t. One simply KNOWS a miss is your fault with the Voodoo. Best of all they don’t need $20 a box Lapua Ten X to shoot like that either. $4 a box SK is ridiculous.

You don’t have to spend $3k on the gun and mount a NF on top. $1,700 for the action, $300 for a stock, and $300 for a SWFA is a STEAL for what you’re getting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.