Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Does anyone know of a gunsmith that is not scared of the BLR and can re-blue the action and barrel?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have you contacted Browning ? Glenrock Blue in Wyoming might be an option as well with a BLR

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What's to be scared of? When I worked in the Browning Arms Co. gunsmithing shop I reblued hundreds of them. Nothing different about them than any other BACO firearm, you must have heard some old wives tale. The reason I would suspect is that some so called "smiths" don't know how to re-assemble a BLR properly, the rack and pinion have to be timed properly in order for the rifle to function correctly.

Last edited by gunswizard; 09/17/18.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'll check Glenrock again but I was told they want disassembled actions of BLR's and I don't feel comfortable with disassembly and re-assembly of the BLR.
I can disassemble Winchester lever actions rifles and Marlin's,Henrys but since there are no videos I can find I won't try it.
Gunwizard I wish I knew what you know buddy.I bet the first one was a bugger but it sounds like you are either a gunsmith or close to it.
I can do a lot of a gun repairs but this is beyond me.
One person I asked said don't bother Browning as they were refused factory Bluing his at this time.
Someone's kid took it upon himself to try to hold my rifle while sitting on a concrete shooting table and he dropped it hitting the table side and then the ground.I was shooting another rifle and heard it drop.
I have never seen anyone clear out so fast.Dad and kids were gone before I got to take a good look at the rifle.
Thanks guys,I will contact Glenrock and Browning.

Last edited by DropShot; 09/17/18.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hey Gunwizard one person told me he had a local gunsmith disassemble and blue his and it came back as the best blue job ever but it would not shoot.
He missed a cog or two and the bolt end would not rotate into the lugs.The gunsmith tried many times and finally got it right and swore NEVER AGAIN!
How many have you done?
On a scale from 1-10 how hard was it?
Can you mark the pinions so as to put it back in the same way?

IC B2

D
DBC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by DropShot
Can you mark the pinions so as to put it back in the same way?

I've wondered the same for a long time. I haven't cracked mine open to have a look though.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
DBC I have thought of that but can't get a clear view of all places to mark.
Midwest Gunworks will work on it but man they are expensive.It will have to wait until next year and most likely I'll send it to them or someone else then.
Too many health problems right now but hopefully soon I'll be better.
Its an 87 BLR 358 win with metal receiver so its worth it and I have a few guns in my safe so I'll use a 300 win mag for elk/deer season this year.
Thanks Guys

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I am a graduate of the gunsmithing program at Trinidad State College and earned my Journeyman Gunsmith certification at Browning. During my tenure at Browning I worked on 100's of BLR's, there is a trick to reassembling them but it has been 36 yrs. since I worked at Browning and I have forgotten the re-assembly technique. Sometimes it took a few tries even for an experienced 'smith to get the timing right, they were not one of my favorite rifles to work on.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a 1980 made 308. Never had it apart. Don't plan to either. Looks like a Rolex fked a bank vault in there.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I agree Ringworm,kinda scary.
Gunwizard I envy you bud.I wanted to go to gunsmithing school but chose another vocation and now that I'm old I spend a lot of time wishing.

Have a great day guys.

IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I did some cold bluing with Blue Wonder and while you can spot blue some guns the Browning would not take it so I removed all the blue on the right side and polished the heck out of it and got it super smooth and Wonder Blued it.It looks pretty good and will wait until the spring of next year to send it to Midwest Gunsmithing.
Thanks guys

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.