Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Impressive shooting for sure. Never knew it got dead calm in your part of the world.

But the big question is have you got a leather cheekpiece designed for the EH1 yet?

I know it would shoot better.....

smile

I need about 40 hours in a day instead of 24....;)

Pat, why don’t you make a short mag cartridge carrier while you’re at it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You mean like this one? Put together for, and by, yours truly....;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great shooting Pat!! Just curious. You ever run a dedicated copper solvent after the butch’s just to see if anything might be left? I know that a few years ago the butch’s solvent changed and it has been said to be less of a copper cleaner now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Great shooting Pat!! Just curious. You ever run a dedicated copper solvent after the butch’s just to see if anything might be left? I know that a few years ago the butch’s solvent changed and it has been said to be less of a copper cleaner now.

I always look after I'm done with my Hawkeye bore scope...this barrel is 100% copper free right now. Barrels vary, some will build a trace, while still shooting great, others will be completely clean. I've found after the throats start getting some wear and tear, the lands will have an orange peel look,(rough)and they will build copper, and carbon there. I can still get it out with a good scrubbing with a bronze brush.

I'm not real big on cleaning very often. It the rifle is shooting good, I'll run it, and not worry too much about it. I did a test one time with one of my comp .308's. I cleaned it, shot three five shot groups, then didn't clean it for over 1,000 rounds, then before cleaning it, fired three more five shot groups. All six groups looked the same. That was a Krieger 1-11.25" 5R. It still shot good after 8,000+ rounds. I think there's been a lot of barrels wrecked by cleaning too often..

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Scenarshooter, please continue posting your results with your 6.5 PRC, as i am following closely my GAP 6.5 should be here in a couple of days, your doing a lot of home work for me. Thank You RIO7

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RIO7, how did you spec your new rig?
I’ve had my 6.5 GAP for a bit now and remains big fan.

Per usual, Pat, thanks for the posts and insights! I gave my 4S a 25 round cleaning and is still going strong.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue, my creed is on the way. But still no word on the PRC. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get it...

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 805

I always look after I'm done with my Hawkeye bore scope...this barrel is 100% copper free right now. Barrels vary, some will build a trace, while still shooting great, others will be completely clean. I've found after the throats start getting some wear and tear, the lands will have an orange peel look,(rough)and they will build copper, and carbon there. I can still get it out with a good scrubbing with a bronze brush.

I'm not real big on cleaning very often. It the rifle is shooting good, I'll run it, and not worry too much about it. I did a test one time with one of my comp .308's. I cleaned it, shot three five shot groups, then didn't clean it for over 1,000 rounds, then before cleaning it, fired three more five shot groups. All six groups looked the same. That was a Krieger 1-11.25" 5R. It still shot good after 8,000+ rounds. I think there's been a lot of barrels wrecked by cleaning too often..

Good shooting !!
I have been guilty of cleaning barrels too often no doubt.
37 degrees, I would like some of that!

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the update Pat.
I'm really liking the look of this cartridge.
My Kimber Montana 300 WSM is sitting in the safe, and it has 6.5 PRC written all over it since this should be a simple rebarrel with no magazine or rail mods needed.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

After a complete barrel scrub, I had to see if I had any issues with a clean/cold bore shot....

The rifle is ready for fall!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just like that!

Is that a prototype or will those ever be in production?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just like that!

Check our website sometime this winter....it's in the works.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[ I think there's been a lot of barrels wrecked by cleaning too often..

Agreed.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just like that!

Check our website sometime this winter....it's in the works.

Good to hear. Nobody currently makes one, despite the popularity of short mags.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cope Long cut "straight" would tightn that up a smidgesky, especially with the yellow .50c off wrapper. Fine printing!

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If my memory serves me correctly i'll try and give what I know.

George Gardner of GAP developed the 6.5 SAUM 4s it was designed to be the ultimate short action cartridge as well as offer optimal ballistics for the PRS series which has a velocity cap of 3200ft/sec I believe. Part of the design philosophy was to run long barrels with slow powders(H1000) to get the velocity rather than wringing the performance out by high pressures which ultimately attributes to excellent barrel life in proportion to the performance delivered. The one caveat of the 4s is currently hornady is the only brass available (some form brass from 7 saum norma brass and ect...)

The 6.5 PRC to my understanding was a Hornady/Ruger project that George of GAP helped work on. it too is aimed at the PRS market and is built with similar design principles of the 4s but uses the RCM (ruger compact magnum) as it's parent case rather than the SAUM. The 4s has slightly more capacity over the RCM.

For general purposes there so similar you could likely flip a coin and choose one. The big difference that I see is the RCM is backed by Ruger and Hornady so it could potentially go further in the market just due to the backing of such a giants. don't get me wrong the 4s has it's followers but most who run the 4s have to coin to spring for the best. the PRC could bring a new crowd into the ever growing sport especially when off the shelf guns like Ruger RPR hit the market.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
precision223,

From what I understand, Ruger hasn't had anything to do with the 6.5 PRC. If they did, they'd probably be chambering it in a rifle by now. Their website doesn't list any rifles 6.5 PRC, and I haven't seen any announcements about one--and I get a pile of e-mails about recent Ruger doings. That doesn't mean Ruger won't chamber the 6.5 PRC, but if they'd been part of it's development it would seem logical to announce rifles at the same time Hornady announced factory ammunition.

Sauer announced factory 6.5 PRC's a while ago, but so far they apparently haven't appeared. I was on a list to receive one in August for an article on the cartridge, but the USA folks warned it might not happen then. So I made sure of having a rifle by getting one of mine rebarreled--and am glad I did, since the Sauer didn't show up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

Pat, would you mind measuring the c.o.a.l. with that 139gr Scenar for me? I don't have a way of measuring to the ogive.

Thanks, Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by precision223
If my memory serves me correctly i'll try and give what I know.

George Gardner of GAP developed the 6.5 SAUM 4s it was designed to be the ultimate short action cartridge as well as offer optimal ballistics for the PRS series which has a velocity cap of 3200ft/sec I believe. Part of the design philosophy was to run long barrels with slow powders(H1000) to get the velocity rather than wringing the performance out by high pressures which ultimately attributes to excellent barrel life in proportion to the performance delivered. The one caveat of the 4s is currently hornady is the only brass available (some form brass from 7 saum norma brass and ect...)

The 6.5 PRC to my understanding was a Hornady/Ruger project that George of GAP helped work on. it too is aimed at the PRS market and is built with similar design principles of the 4s but uses the RCM (ruger compact magnum) as it's parent case rather than the SAUM. The 4s has slightly more capacity over the RCM.

For general purposes there so similar you could likely flip a coin and choose one. The big difference that I see is the RCM is backed by Ruger and Hornady so it could potentially go further in the market just due to the backing of such a giants. don't get me wrong the 4s has it's followers but most who run the 4s have to coin to spring for the best. the PRC could bring a new crowd into the ever growing sport especially when off the shelf guns like Ruger RPR hit the market.

George actually posts on here from time to time, so might chime in. Scenarshooter was also involved in the 6.5 Gap 4S, he could probably tell a few stories after hunting season. smile

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pat

Which do you prefer? grin 6.5GAP4S or 6.5PRC?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7
[Linked Image]

Pat, would you mind measuring the c.o.a.l. with that 139gr Scenar for me? I don't have a way of measuring to the ogive.

Thanks, Rio7

I'm not Pat, but I think this will help. 2.885 COAL Or it could be real close.
Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 46 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.