-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have 4 currently, 2 solid brown, and 2 white dogs with brown spots, like a shorthair. old dog is 14, next male is 7, a 2yr old female and a 1.5yr female. if the water is not solid ice i cant keep them out of it, they retreive out of the missouri almost daily, tremendous point and back to them, come in the house at night and eat popcorn,,,,

old dog has tracked wounded deer and elk for guys number of times, male dogs are 55-60 lbs females are 46-51 lbs depends on how much running we have been doing, allready pointed many sharpies and huns and retreived a bunch of waterfowl this last weekend,,,

i cant say enough good things about them

Attached Images
20180928_091330_resized.jpg (51.56 KB, 20 downloads)
20180928_093954_resized.jpg (57.95 KB, 17 downloads)
Last edited by 300stw; 10/01/18.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've always thought GWP's were cool looking dogs.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A question, are the GWP and drahthaars the same dog? I see both names around and wondered

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duckster
A question, are the GWP and drahthaars the same dog? I see both names around and wondered

Yes, but the name depends on the pedigree

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The answer is yes (and a qualified no.) Originally the German and English/American names for the same dog. In the US you can find Deutsch Drahthaars (DD) and they work to maintain a different breeding standard. The GWP may be bred to win shows and not be the best at its original use of hunting. The DD is bred for hunting abilities. I am sure this is the same type of standards variation we find in horse breeds, dog breeds, etc. I had a German Shorthair but my next will likely be a Deutsch Drahthaar. From what I have read the disposition as well as hunting ability is better in the DD line. There just aren't as many choices in the US. Either GWP or DD are a better all-around dog for me that just about any other.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Dang lots pics of young GWP. As i write this i'm starring at my 14 1/2 year old GWP. This will be her first year that she wont be in the field.
Her hearing is gone and eyes are starting to go. Even last year in the woods she was wondering off, was hard to get to come back to me..

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Been blessed with three of them. First one adopted my gal pal on our first date. Didn’t let anyone near her except me. Loved her nephews and niece. Very touching stories from them about him. He was a cat killing SOB and great hunter of birds . Hated grizzly bears too. The second and third one were litter mates. Wonderful boys, one died at two years from cancer, the other loved us until he had to go at fourteen.
These are family dogs period, do not belong in a kennel. Will give their life for you if needed. My gal pal became my wife and those two had a very special relationship. You did not get out of your pickup at the farm with him around her.
God bless those fuzzy boys.
Now we have a standard schnauzer that’s a very wonderful boy. Hims learning the world but don’t try anything with her, he’s protective....

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by frank500
Been blessed with three of them. First one adopted my gal pal on our first date. Didn’t let anyone near her except me. Loved her nephews and niece. Very touching stories from them about him. He was a cat killing SOB and great hunter of birds . Hated grizzly bears too. The second and third one were litter mates. Wonderful boys, one died at two years from cancer, the other loved us until he had to go at fourteen.
These are family dogs period, do not belong in a kennel. Will give their life for you if needed. My gal pal became my wife and those two had a very special relationship. You did not get out of your pickup at the farm with him around her.
God bless those fuzzy boys.
Now we have a standard schnauzer that’s a very wonderful boy. Hims learning the world but don’t try anything with her, he’s protective....

Many dogs are a great judge of character!

That dog picked your wilfe -- awesome! smile

John

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
For those who own them, at what age did you start them swimming? Ours is only 9 weeks old and I'm afraid the water temps may get too cold before she is old enough to swim (Central NC location). I took her to the lake and she would get in up to her chest but not any further and I didn't want to push the issue at such an early age.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 10/02/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got mine in January, he's a draht though. I didn't start him swimming here till May/June. I did a bunch of field work, exposure to birds and gunfire stuff all spring though. And of course, obedience work. He loves the water now.

This one is about 80 pounds. Most of the ones we train with are 70-80.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RAS
Last year I decided to get my bird dog, a German wirehair pointer. Plan was to get a male first from proven hunters, train him up, and then get a female and do the same. Besides being great bird dogs, they can swim like fish with their web feet, and hardly shed at all. The wire coat really protects them from the northern Michigan brush. So far, my male has been excellent. Obeys commands, holds point, and mostly brings back the bird. Has a nose like a blood hound. All at 1.5 years old. The seven month female goes to school next month, but I have been working with her already.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A neighbor has 4. Really energetic dogs. He thought about getting a Lab for ducks, but his 4 year old male retrieves them well whether in water or not so hasn't seen a need.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.