Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Sorry about the spelling but was looking at a trim double rifle in 9.3X74 and wondering if anyone has any info or experience with this brand of double.

Thanks,

Lefty

Last edited by leftycarbon; 09/23/18.
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Knew both the Painter bros in Austin that were the Importers back in the late 70’s early 80’s. One is still around. We sold a few back then. They were very nice guns in those days. All we sold where shotguns.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have never fired one, but held a very nice sleek 450-400 at Champlins, JJ loves them and will stand rock solid behind them, I nearly bought that rifle not even needing it on that alone.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have two of them, one is a set with 20ga barrels. I like the Chapuis rifles. For me they handle and point very well and mine are well regulated. They also have scope mounts which I consider a huge plus. The fit and finish on Chapuis firearms is generally very good and they hold their value. They still make them and you see them for sale periodically. In Europe they are well regarded.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Chapuis are very well made doubles.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
You have a PM

Lefty

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They are good rifles. There is the base UGEX, and the upgraded RGEX. A UGEX in good condition sells for $4,500-$5,500.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have owned three Chapuis doubles over the years. My current is a single trigger ejector RGEX in 9.3x74r. I have owned a few other doubles in 9.3x74r and other smaller calibers. All my Chapuis doubles have shot well with all of the factory 286 grain factory loads that I have tried. I cannot say the same for two of the other doubles I have owned. My current gun shoots better than I can off sticks. I have had four shot groups under 1 3/4 inches at 100 yards. It is the first double I've owned that shoots to the same poi off sand bags, free hand and sticks

Fit and finish are great for their price range. They have been the most nicely finished guns I've owned. As doubles go, they are affordable, but the fit and finish won't match a $35,000 rifle.

With my first one, when I started shooting doubles, I tried to shoot them like a bolt gun and had what I thought were terrible regulation issues. Turned out I had operator error problems. After I learned good technique, my regulation problem disappeared. I have shot whitetails with mine. It's effective but a bit more than needed.

NEGATIVES
I have heard of some regulation problems with Chapuis doubles where the gun needed to be reregulated, but have no personal experience with that.
The only negatives for me are that the comb is a bit low for scope use and you can get a nasty cheek bruise if you shoot a couple boxes of ammo in an afternoon. I've added a soft rubber cheekpiece pad. They are light and handy, so an afternoon of shooting can be lively. I now stop at 40 rounds. If you practice multiple repeat shots, I try to do three sets (6 shots) in rapid succession, the barrels get pretty hot to the hand.
I enjoy mine.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I just reread my post. The 1 3/4 groups were 50 yards, not 100. I'm not that steady any more. Was shooting a number of rifles today, could barely get 1 1/2 groups off sand bags at one hundred yards with my 22 250 and 257
It sucks to get old.

Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I owned a Rigby double that would shoot slightly better than that for 6 shots (3 from each barrel) at 50 yards.
That is the proof right there, so you really are just wasting ammo firing off more rounds. A double is generally speaking, a sub 100 yards rifle and 50 yards is a good stalking range for them. Once an accuracy point is established you are ok to just sit there with it in your lap and sneak admiring glances in between watching for game.

One can never convey in words how a double balances. They are art and craftsmanship in one and even a cheap one takes considerable thought and engineering.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.