-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What do you do with those Mohawk? Edible?

LOL
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What do you do with those Mohawk? Edible?

Yes sir I clean and quarter all I shoot. They are very edible. Just like pork you get at the grocery store except much leaner. At my house we call it Organic Free Range Pork. It is funny, the same people that would turn their nose up if I told them it was feral hog rave about how great it is. I just keep my mouth shut and keep cooking.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
This upstate NY 8-pt's ticket was punched by my B-I-L Joe and his 99 x 7mm-08 on Sunday evening, at 150+ yards across a ravine, he waited more than an hour for this buck to stand up and stretch his legs. It's was a smart old-timer, maybe 6+ years, that's been watching us run around the woods after him for a long time. (crumby picture, but great deer and and rifle combo, worth sharing).

It's special for me because the rifle was a gift for a guy who "never had much use for 99s",... until one showed up in his favorite caliber!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 11/20/18.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Savage 99C in 284 Win. Leupold 3-9 Scope. 140 gr BT. Bang flop at 100 yards. 10 point and first buck.

[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great first buck! Congrats to both of you.

Your (RAS) scope and Lightfoot mount on 30-30 1899 barrel band nailed doe last Saturday and on Sunday used 99R in 250-3ooo for spike buck. Freezer full opening weekend.

Bruce
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Got to WV camp just after dark Friday, first time it's snowed before deer opener in 47 years. Took several runs to get up the hill.The snow was melting and we had rivers running down the ruts we call a driveway. Didnt see any deer at camp for 2 days, till 99guy showed up for sight in. While "shootin" the breeze, a nice 8 pointer walked across the field in front of the trailer. Got settled in my stand a few minutes befoe 7 Monday morning. At 7:10 a shot went off so close it scared the jeebers out of me. At 7:15 there was another shot, so I figured the neighbor got that nice 8. At 7:26 I saw that rack slowly bobbing above the hay, walking straight at me. I could see he was limping on one rear leg. At about 60 yards I put the peep of the 22HP right under his chin, on his neck. Bang flop! The neighbor had hit him in the right rear knee. The neighbor showed up an hour or so later and asked if he could see where he hit him? He had 4 pieces of bone he found in the snow where he hit it. He shook hands, took some pics, and congratulated me for being a better shot. I'm having trouble with my photo host and can't post pics. If I can't get it fixed I'll send them to someone to post them for me.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads Joe that little Rifle just keeps getting better!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice shooting! Glad the neighbor was good about it, guy who puts it on the ground for good is the one who should get the deer.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks John, that shot was for you. I used the peep because he was so close and some of my friends were teasing me that I didn't know how to use irons. Thanks Rory, I was glad he didn't want to argue also. It really wasn't close, he never would have caught up with it. It was a wound the deer would have survived. The first thing he said was he knew it wasn't a fatal wound.He took some pics with the deer to show his guys what he missed. A few years ago I let one of his guys keep a small scraggly 8 that I chest shot. Found pieces of lung hanging on the fence where it rubbed trying to jump over. The young guy said the deer was standing still, wobbling, when he shot. Then he said something funny. He said, I know you killed him, but I put him down, can I keep him. I already had a bigger 4 point, so I said sure, keep him.

This gives me 3 parts of the slam. All I need is one with a 303, leaning towards the 1899B. I'm hunting the MD opener, but it's shotgun only where we are. Then I'm getting my knee replaced. We have a late buck season in January, in my county, which is a rifle county. So, I'm hoping I'll be able to get out for that. If not, next year.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Think it works again.
[Linked Image]

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story. There are still some good guys around. It could have turned quite ugly. I vaguely remember something similar getting ugly when I was a teenager. It involved some people I only knew slightly.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you hold right on him Joe or make a "Kentucky Windage" adjustment based on how it shot Saturday?

You can hunt a long time in WV before you see another buck that big. That is about as big a WV mountain buck as you will see.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
Did you hold right on him Joe or make a "Kentucky Windage" adjustment based on how it shot Saturday?

You can hunt a long time in WV before you see another buck that big. That is about as big a WV mountain buck as you will see.

I put the bead right on the side of his neck,under his chin, looking at me, so about 2" to the left of point of impact, yes Kentucky Windage.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely played my friend....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This fella showed up ten minutes after I got in the stand. The 99F fits me just right and the 300 savage worked as advertised.
I had mostly spikes on camera so was very happy with this one. Then my hunting buddy with a Winchester 88 shoots an even bigger one out of the same stand the next morning. Maybe they are attracted to lever actions.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13308541#Post13308541[/img]

Last edited by Blairich; 11/26/18.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice one, he looks like he has a pretty good size neck on him, congrats.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thats a real nice Buck! Congrads!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Took a little walk this evening. Old faithful went along. 1957 99f in 300 topped with that Leupold M8 6x and of course 180 grain silvertip ammo. This gun loves it but deer don't. 60 yard shot, 70 yard track job and I had him.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Perfect Jim.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

EG .308 Win topped with a Zeiss 3X9. Both deer VERY close.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 29 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.