24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got back yesterday from a short weekender to Taos NM. Used my Southwest points and the little wifey and I flew into Albuquerque, rented an SUV with our National points, and drove to Taos (2.5 hours) and checked into the Hampton Inn with our Hilton Honors Points. he he he (yes I'm cheap!) Anyway, next day, we drove up to Valle Vidal and the Rio Costillo and Comanche Creek (pocket water) to scout it out for a camping and a fly fishing destination for retirement time wasting. Beautiful country is all I can say. We both loved it. Plentiful creek side primitive campsites, first come first serve. Bonus water was the Rio Grande running south out of Taos. I recently bought a few NM and CO fly fishing books and will be planning more trips in the future. It is about a 9.5 hour drive from Oklahoma City to Rio Costillo. Not bad, seeing it was an 8 hour trip to drive from Taos to Albuquerque and fly via Dallas to OKC.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great!!!

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Glad to see you had an enjoyable trip.

Are you planning to go north and then west from OKC to drive there?

That is some pretty country to be sure.
Sad to say now that when I was a kid fishing Rio Costilla we caught as many cutthroats as we did anything, now they are "rare"
You now apparently have Northern Pike in the mainstream Rio (and any side stream they choose) which is new and I am not sure is a good thing, but it is what it is now.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember fishing in the Jemez Mts especially Rio de las Vacas, Cebolla creek and the Jemez river and the East fork of the Jemez river. Learned to fly fish in this area NW of Albuquerque. Lot of good memories.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best fly fishing in all of NM is in the quality water below the dam of Navajo Reservoir. It’s only about 55 miles south of Durango, CO and about 15 miles north of Aztec, NM. You’ll be ruined if you ever get to fish there. Huge Rainbows & Browns everywhere!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I plan to visit many of the Northern NM streams. Going to drive through Woodward, the panhandle and on over west. Will be camping.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to live in NM and miss it. A beautiful state it is.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wow you drove right past my house and there is some great trout fishing in the area.If you liked the Comanche try the middle fork of the Ponil near Cimmeron campground..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Costillacreek

One of my most memorable trips I took was with my BIL to Shuree ponds.

Last edited by Prwlr; 02/11/19.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My favourite type of fishing is pocket water just like those streams. Got an old bamboo flyrod my grandpa used that needs to get out again and that kind of water will be perfect for it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Best fly fishing in all of NM is in the quality water below the dam of Navajo Reservoir.

San Juan:

I can say I've fished it a few times, and caught some big trout on tiny flies. None of them had much in the way of lips though. Well exercised fish. One can wander about and hear 4 or 5 languages spoken in a matter of minutes. I lean toward more of a wilderness experience.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Best fly fishing in all of NM is in the quality water below the dam of Navajo Reservoir.

San Juan:

I can say I've fished it a few times, and caught some big trout on tiny flies. None of them had much in the way of lips though. Well exercised fish. One can wander about and hear 4 or 5 languages spoken in a matter of minutes. I lean toward more of a wilderness experience.

I hear you. Back in the mid 90's Spiney Mountain Reservoir was a paradise to fish here in CO. But then it became like fishing in a bowl of Cheerios with a few power boats to evade. The "Dream Stream" below that was great also until it was "discovered" and literally bus loads of fisherman were brought in. One of the last days I fished it was during what was locally called the "humpy hatch" you could catch 30-40 fish a day on a size 16 humpy. Then a couple of bus loads of guides and fisherman showed up and lined the banks for about a 1/4 of a mile all short line nymph fishing right next to one another.

I find much more fun in small streams fishing for browns, brookies and cuts. When I do take to lake fishing it's usually for warm water fish much less crowded and warm water fish aren't to finicky.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Costillacreek
Wow you drove right past my house and there is some great trout fishing in the area.If you liked the Comanche try the middle fork of the Ponil near Cimmeron campground..

What month is the earliest one could start fly fishing in your area? (ie. snow and ice melt issues)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can fish the San Juan year round, and it much less crowded in the winter. And they have camping at the Navajo Dam State Park. Although we always stay at Abe's Motel there.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son and family live near Madrid NM. We are avid Michigan trout fisherman, 3rd and 4th generation. I would love to wet a line on my next fly in to NM. Would I need a guide or drift boat to fish the San Juan? I have a Hyde and Fish Camp in NW Michigan.
I would be happy to trade a Fall Salmon float for a NM float on the San Juan. When is a good time to fish the tail water? I am retired and live to fish.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
OrangeOkie,I will be fishing here by me in maybe 3 weeks after Ice off but the public water above me on the Costilla sometime in April.The Rio Grande by Taos is fishing good and the San Jaun is good now also.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
300Savage

RE: San Juan fishing. I have been a guide in Alaska but it can still take me up to three days to get the fishing sorted out. A few times I have just walked up to the water and started catching fish but usually not. Born and Bred on the San Juan is a good guide service and Tim Chavez the owner is who you should go with if available, this can shorten the learning curve significantly and you can get a chance to see all the good pools in a day.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 300Savage
My son and family live near Madrid NM. We are avid Michigan trout fisherman, 3rd and 4th generation. I would love to wet a line on my next fly in to NM. Would I need a guide or drift boat to fish the San Juan? I have a Hyde and Fish Camp in NW Michigan.
I would be happy to trade a Fall Salmon float for a NM float on the San Juan. When is a good time to fish the tail water? I am retired and live to fish.

I am from NM. and I fish the San Juan.
For your first trip, I would Hire Andy KIM.
http://www.fly-fish.com/
He is the absolute best guide there.
I will take my wife, and daughter up there one day, and will hand them over to Andy.
I do not have a vested interest in him other than I met him when he was sleeping in his car, and guaranteeing 12 fish a day, or it was free. He delivered in spades.
You can easily get skunked up there, but with Andy you will catch 20-30 fish a day.

Last edited by LeeC; 08/11/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.