Print Thread
Hop To
#13181226 10/05/18
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Just a heads up for those of you headed west in the next few weeks. Much of CO has fire bans in place. There are two stages. Stage I and Stage II. Stage I basically means no camp fires (unless in a designated campground fire pit, rock fire rings are not acceptable), no charcoal grills (UL listed propane is OK), and all stoves, chainsaws, ATV's need spark arrestors. Stage II is Stage I plus no chainsaws unless accompanied by fire extinguisher and pointed shovel, no wood or charcoal stoves - even with a spark arrestor, no welding (probably not an issue.) Some stage II's prohibit recreational shooting (I've never seen hunting banned). If it's stage II in your area verify what it includes, it may mean outdoor ranges are closed, and you can't take a few sighter shots at your elevation. Please look the restrictions up for your area as the rules are not always consistent and my thoughts here are summarized. The authorities here take these violations very seriously as the potential for mass fire related damage is high.

Where we are are going the county is under stage II restrictions and Forest Service land is under stage I restrictions. I spoke with the FS this morning and they said even with the predicted rain and snow, they do not anticipate removing the stage I restrictions. There are two active fires burning in our area, and until those are out, the agent said, they bans will likely remain. Again this means no campfires. I guarantee that rangers will be out patrolling for campfires. Guaranteed. Campfire is more of a social thing, so probably not overly crucial to camp, the wood stove restriction though could be a huge issue.

If you're in Stage II area, you can't use a wood or charcoal stove in your tent. That could really change things for some people, especially since the weather is predicting snow.

Best thing to do is call the Forest Service or BLM or County Sheriff in your area (for whatever land you are camping on). Web info. hasn't been reliable as they change the rules, sometimes daily. Get the name, date, time, etc. of the person you talked to and note what they said.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up Mountain10mm.

There currently is a fire ban in the county where I am going to hunt elk un public land. Hopefully, the predicted rains and/or snows will put the current fires out.

There is no fire ban where I am going to hunt bear on my private property.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho removed the stage 1 restriction across most of the south a few weeks ago.

We had a couple major fires started by exploding targets this summer. A few idiots are going to get them banned entirely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here in SW Colorado we have been getting rain for several days. Raining right now. Forecast is for rain thru Tuesday. Has for sure cooled off here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was reading the stage I fire ban info for our area (Meeker, CO) and I read it that no wood fires, including wood tent stoves, are allowed. This could make for a cold trip. It is supposed to rain / snow all week.

WHAT IS ALLOWED
• Campfires within designated fire grates in developed campgrounds (i.e., a metal, in-ground containment structure
• Stoves fuel by liquid petroleum or gas
• Operating or using any internal engine, such as chainsaws and OHV’s, must have a spark arrestor device.
• Safely enjoying your public lands
WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED
• No fires of any type, including charcoal, outside of developed areas
• No fire pans and or fires in rock campfire rings
• The personal use of ALL fireworks are prohibited during fire restrictions.
• No smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or in a barren area free of vegetation
• No welding or acetylene/other torch except within an area that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials at least ten feet on all sides of equipment.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I still wouldn't be surprised if most NF's cancel the fire ban by Oct 13. Because of the economics of hunting, wouldn't be surprised if most counties in elk country cancel their bans too.

My parents live on top of the Uncompahgre Plateau from May-Oct/Nov. Dad said this morning they have received two inches of moisture the past 5 weeks, and the rest of this week it's supposed to rain/snow......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mountain10mm

It sounds like we will be hunting in close proximity based on the description of two fires burning near by, but they are getting quite a bit of moisture up there the last few days and lots of moisture predicted for the next 3 days. I can only hope the moisture motivates them to lift the bans or I won’t be camping away from the road as I won’t be able to use my Ti wood stove in the tent and there’s temps in the single digits for lows forecasted in the coming weeks. Hope things change.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Propane heater as a backup option?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The fire ban in our area 23 / 24 was lifted today after several days of rain and snow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like the NF fire restrictions all are gone: http://nifc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d5337383e1184026b5efb02132391535

Good riddance.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep. Now in some areas you need to worry about road closures and deep snow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They rescinded a bunch of counties from fire restrictions last night!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
797 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.