Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
good to see that old humpback browning or Remington in that boat still kicking up there. Good stuff. enjoy the show. Would love to come experience up there one day

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Chip, I watch your show whenever its on as I spent 4 years in your country and am somewhat familiar with the area and the villages.

It makes the show more interesting to have a connection with the area and to know I probably know sme of the same people you do.

Good luck and keep on keepin on.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chip, finally saw the lost seal show last night. Glad to know the behind the scenes on that.

Appreciate your sharing all the info when you have time. Makes for better viewing IMHO.

Great job with the wife, kids and grandkids, keep up the good work. If everyone treated family as well, sharing, educating etc... the world would be a better place.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Like some of the people on the show. Great scenery. A few of the people just try way too hard...too much acting

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Chip for answering my questions. Saw the show last night and your Daughter (Carol?) is one heck of a shot. Love the way everybody in your family relates to each other and it always looks like they are having fun. Didn't know you could start a fire off a snowmobile engine.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well ain't this a hell of a development? LBZ bashing abated! laugh Never seen anyone that can shut the campfire down that quick!

Chip, good to see you here, and yes, I enjoy your family and show. You folks sure work hard at it up there. I spent just one year in Alaska but mostly drank beer and ate pizza. When I wasn't doing that I hunted and fished, but it's hard to compete with pizza and beer when you're 19 years old.

Question; why not move the sights rather than let Sue aim off to one side and high? I thought that was plain silly.

Carry on.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched the show last night and couldn't stop laughing at Sue Aiken, struggling for food and water at her new place on the Chena. She can't be more than 10-20 miles from Fairbanks but acts like she's living on the Kurupa in the Brooks Range. And those stupid damn hats........................lol.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I watched the show last night and couldn't stop laughing at Sue Aiken, struggling for food and water at her new place on the Chena. She can't be more than 10-20 miles from Fairbanks but acts like she's living on the Kurupa in the Brooks Range. And those stupid damn hats........................lol.

That’s “reality” tv for ya.

Same for the Kilchers. If we don’t kill a moose we’ll starve to death.

Just go to the fuggin Safeway/Carr’s store. It’s 5 miles away on a paved road.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

That’s “reality” tv for ya.

Same for the Kilchers. If we don’t kill a moose we’ll starve to death.

Just go to the fuggin Safeway/Carr’s store. It’s 5 miles away on a paved road.
I will say this, it doesn't look to me that Sue Aiken will starve to death any time soon. For someone that struggles to get food, she sure is a "healthy" female specimen. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Well, ok.

Don't have cable/dish, and would not watch that crap if I did.

No offense to any one that likes that crap! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What ever is comming outta Sue's mouth, comes from her mind..........and I assume its the same for the others.

Were never told what to do or say, but it is odd when someone asks the question and answers it.......LOL!
Were constantly talking to the camera guys. Were lucky in our segment to have each other to talk to, so we dont look so Loco.

I , too do not watch the show, I have no TV, and I was there, anyways LOL!!

Im glad ya like it, even if you dont. If I wanted ''fans'', theres always facebook..........

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lord no, not facebook.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Seal question.

The meat always looks really bloody and dark. So dark it looks like what we would toss as bloodshot from a deer.

How strong flavored is it and is it just always like that, it can't be the whole seal is blood shot?

Not sure I could stomach some of that stuff, looks like it would taste different than Kolaches, LOL, but I sure hope I get the chance to try different stuff like that once in my life.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
'''Just say ''No'' to Facebook....LOL!!

.....instagram, twitter and myspace are all for the birds....

There are several types and sizes of Seals out there.

Seals have a TON of blood in them, and its VERY dark reddish black, full of iron that hold the oxygen they dive deeply with.
When its dried, we call it ''Black Meat'' and rightly so.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This one looks like a shotgun and harpoon were used.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Seal blood is very thick and tacky and can sorta be used like glue.
http://vid53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/DSCN3810_zpsr2odjqpf.mp4
Eating Seals are like eating a Beefsteak, in texture, but like King Salmon in taste. Very rich in fats, oils and proteins, with iron and vitamin C in quantity too
Seal oil has almost no flavor, just a hint of the ocean, until it ages, and then it only gets worse....

Last edited by Caribou; 10/31/18.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good Show..You Sure Are Living The Good Life..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I watched an episode tonight in which Eric Salitan, the kid from Wiseman, killed a caribou with a rifle within sight of the Dalton Highway. I’m curious why he gets a pass on the five mile restriction the rest of us have to observe.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought I saw the pipeline....... and we dont really interact with other on the cast. The crews are sorta super secret soviet about such..

Were tracked by SPOT/GPS, cameras/gopro's keep rolling and journals are kept by several people at once.
'Sue Proofing'' so we dont sue them or have a land use dispute or get lost, and the fact/law checkers are constantly asking us [bleep].........LOL!
We dont have those troubles, maybe some others do.
Ill say, when the wife ran the ol' SAKO through the gas tank trying to close the gap on a Fox for a shot with the .22lr that go's along trapping, the Gopro that flew off her ski was what caught the action (I missed it , I was 200 yards away, looking a trap) and the camera guy gave a crap enough to assist her and didnt get the crash on his camera. I just looked up when the engines stopped and wondered why they were standing there.....
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Caribou; 11/02/18.

Big Stick
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, "locals" are exempt from the 5 mile rule on the pipeline north of the Yukon.

From the Federal Subsistence Regs:

● The Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area,
which consists of those portions of Units 20, 24, 25, and 26 extending five miles from each side of the Dalton Highway from the Yukon River to Prudhoe Bay, is closed to the use of motorized vehicles, except aircraft and boats, and to licensed highway vehicles, snowmobiles, and firearms except as provided below. The use of snowmobiles is authorized only for the subsistence taking of wildlife by residents living within the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. The use of licensed highway vehicles is limited only to designated roads within the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. The use of firearms within the Dalton Highway Corridor for subsistence taking of wildlife is authorized only for the residents of Alatna, Allakaket, Anaktuvuk Pass, Bettles, Evansville,
Stevens Village, and residents living within the Dalton
Highway Corridor Management Area.

Jeff

Last edited by akjeff; 11/02/18.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff,

Thanks. I’m on the slope and didn’t have a copy of the regs handy to look up the rules.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're quite welcome Mart. I dug into this years ago, on one of my first work trips based out of Coldfoot. Got to talking to a few locals who were moose hunting with rifles and asked how? Federal Subsistence trumps the ADF&G "5 mile Corridoor" firearm restriction. Part of it bugs me, but on the other hand, if it were legal for everyone, the number of fatal accidents on the Dalton would be staggering. Heavy 18 wheelers hauling azz, and slow/stopped road hunting retards by the hundreds(or more), would be a recipe for disaster. Some of the bowhunters I see every year are bad enough as it is.

Jeff

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.