I've tried 'em and hate'em. Custom molded inserts are the way to go. IMHO

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
What is a good set for use at the range
Is R22 enough?

What are you looking to spend? And is it only for the range?

Regardless, I suggest always using plugs and muffs. It’s easy to turn the volume up on the muffs to hear through the plugs, and the muffs will shut off or auto regulate the gunshot down. The Surefire Sonic Defenders with removable flange are excellent for this.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the reply
My hearing is pretty bad already from half a lifetime shooting without protection and working in construction
Mostly I shoot on a makeshift range in the bush with friends ir in a situation where a couple of us may be hunting together
I was thinking of these
https://www.earplugstore.com/bilsom-impact-sport.html
But will spend more if necessary

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Those should do fine. The sound quality probably won’t be excellent, but they’ll work.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ear Plugs with an NRR 33 work great for me.

Ear muffs don't jive with my rifle stocks.

With my 460 S&W it's plugs & muffs.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply
My hearing is pretty bad already from half a lifetime shooting without protection and working in construction
Mostly I shoot on a makeshift range in the bush with friends ir in a situation where a couple of us may be hunting together
I was thinking of these

I have a set of those or maybe an earlier model.They work fine. If at a range (used them at Frontsite in a 4 day defensive handgun class) I also use ear plugs.You can hear range commands and carry on some conversation. Plugs alone don't block the impact from the muzzle blast from the bones around your ear. Plugs and muffs will do the job. In general those are thin enough not to interfere too much with the rifle stock.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
...I also use ear plugs.You can hear range commands and carry on some conversation. Plugs alone don't block the impact from the muzzle blast from the bones around your ear. Plugs and muffs will do the job.

This At the range.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
plugs and muffs (Walker Electric) Great when shooting at the range under a roof where EVERYONE (including me) has a muzzle brake.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is no industry standard for noise reduction ratings in the earmuff industry, each manufacturer comes up with their own rating. One of the best muffs I have a set of electronic muffs that only have rating of 22 but actually work better for me than a couple of pair that are rated at 30.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm happy to spend a bit more if it is worthwhile, does the sound quality vary much between the 50 dollar level and say $100 level?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thanks for the reply
I was thinking of these

Those work fine for me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Thanks for the reply
I was thinking of these

Those work fine for me.

Those are the ones I have also, they are great IMO.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a set of Howard Leight on sale for $49.99 at Cabela's and I'm very satisfied with them. Didn't see any reason to spend more.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the Howard Leight muffs you have linked over in the ear plugs. I turn the volume up and can hear conversations, footsteps, etc just fine but have good protection from gunshot sounds.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Howard Leight muffs for hunting though I like plugs under high end regular muffs on the range. Too late smart about hearing protection because no, that high pitched whine in my ears isn't the neighbor kid with the leaf blower. The feature that I like about the Howard Leight muffs that doesn't get mentioned very often is that speaker jack in the lower part of one of the ear cups. Deer hunting where I go is hours of keeping still and it can get kind of boring after long days afield. I've left lots of my hearing out at the range, so I don't hear that well to begin with, but I still see pretty well and to do that I've got to stay awake and alert. Packing along a little transistor radio to plug into that speaker jack keeps me entertained and the muffs will muffle the shot if it happens.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for the reply
I was thinking of these

I just was reading reviews and Q&As.... Someone asked if they'll block out a nagging wife? Answer was, Impossible!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Castle rock,

I have Howard Leight and Caldwell electronic muffs, and they worked great. I got them on-sale at Natchez shooters supply for $35 to $40. The NRR was listed as 22 or 23. Besides shooting I have used them for woodcutting and construction... fast forward about7 years and I needed new ones.

I bought two pair of Walkers as replacements (they were approx. $45 at sportsman's) last year and took them back to the store... The electronic shutoff was not as fast as the above brands and I would get a little of the shot noise prior to shut-off.

Natchez shows howard leight model "impact pro electronic earmuff" (nathez's number; F10HQR01902) that claim a NRR of 30. They are much bulkier than the Leight models that have a NRR of 22 though and therefore may be a bother at the range.

Jerry

The earplug superstore link referenced above is within a couple of dollars of Natchez; BUT after looking at their $20+ shipping think I'll go with Natchez.

https://www.earplugstore.com/howard-leight-impact-pro-hunting-earmuffs.html

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 10/11/18. Reason: to show a link

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I just was reading reviews and Q&As.... Someone asked if they'll block out a nagging wife? Answer was, Impossible!

Too funny!

My father in law turns his hearing aids off, Say's it works fine.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 10/11/18.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Too funny!

My father in law turns his hearing aids off, Say's it works fine.

Jerry

My step dad does the same!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 72 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.