Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Guys:

I just got off the phone with Dick Davis at McMillan (he sounds great!), and he clarified for me the issue of fill weights for McMillan hunting stocks.

The straight skinny is as follows:

McMillan hunting stocks come in three fill weights, and three fill weights only:

1] Magnum fill (for magnum calibers)

2] Standard fill (will weigh 2 to 2.25 pounds)

3] EDGE technology.

That's it. Bottom line.

"Light as possible for caliber" gets standard fill.

"KS" or "kevlar" fill gets standard fill.

Magnum, standard, EDGE. Them's the choices.

The shopping cart here has been modified accordingly.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is EXTREMELY helpful. Thank You!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So can edge fill be put it a non-edge stock?

That sure makes it simple, I wonder if the mcmillan folks laughed at everyone calling and asking for ks fill, weatherby fill, sniper fill, etc or did they change how they are doing it?

I always wondered where these fill names came from since I never saw reference to all of them on the website.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think is is very unfortunate that McMillan is taking this stance, and am afraid that they are quickly losing the lead in the market. They still make a fantastic product, but there are a whole bunch of up and comers that are also making great stuff, with better designs, and lighter weights.

I miss the days of being able to get a 28oz Mtn Rifle stock. It is unfortunate that McMillan is now forcing customers to choose either a heavy-ish hunting stock, or a light-ish hunting stock, with nothing in between.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I was told by a nice gal at McMillan that the magnum fill is more for big magnums like 375HH, 458 etc.

I don't want my 300 stock coming back like a brick. Does this mean it won't get the standard fill, and instead will receive the magnum fill?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CAS - BINGO.
Bansner and Manners are looking better.....
Course they always have for me. I guess all my stewing over fill was just that, mental gymnastics.........
Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a MR pattern on a nice 280AI that weighed (IIRC) 40oz. It was a TANK. Sold the whole rifle. I believe it was a magnum fill.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Rick--
In a stock of the same configuration except for fill, how much difference in weight is there between a standard and magnum fill?

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

Easy on the Bansners.......... They aren't in the same league as either Mcmillan or Manners, quality wise, IME.

I have my first Manners Model 70 stock due to show up shortly. Had Mcmillan offered a suitable style for the Model 70, I never would have strayed. Unfortunately thier "Supergrade" pattern (the only real alternative for a sporter weight model 70) is grossly outdated. I wish that they would at a minimum, dupe the late production Supergrade stock, if not design a new one from scratch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If that is a change from how they have done things I can see that it would make life simpler for them but it sure limits the customers options and flexibility that they had before. That was Mcmillans niche in my opinion.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Understand Charlie. "I" just have never had those issues with the Bansners but have no doubt that they can/do exist.
Heck I'm easy I like the CDL and SPS stocks..... Guess you can label me the "normal" guy that Remington targets.....

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh and I haven't had the experience (read that volume) of the Bansners either...

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So can edge fill be put it a non-edge stock?

Nope. EDGE fill is available in EDGE stocks only.

This is absolutely not an issue with me. McMillan still makes the best stocks, hands down, with the most options.

EDGE stocks are the best stocks on the market, if you ask me.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick, you ever feel like a school teacher?... (grin)

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What??!!

I thought virtually all their stock patterns were available in the EDGE technology (ultra light 21-23 oz).

If I'm reading McMillan's sight correctly, they only list three (3) EDGE stocks:

Hunters EDGE
EDGE Benchrest
EDGE HBR

Please don't tell me I can't get a Remington Mountain Rifle, CZ AHR, or Winchester Supergrade in the EDGE???

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
They make a great stock but if you are looking for a lightweight stock and its not for a remington you have no choice but to look elsewhere.

I have one McMillan on order through Rick but the next two went elsewhere because McMillan didn't make a lighter stock for my action.

I don't blame McMillan, with a 4 month backlog, they seem to have all the business they can handle. I wish I could get the stock I want with the McMillan quality but I can't so I will see how Banser and MPI are and go from there.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am pretty sure they offer all of their stocks with the edge technology.......Blake

People sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MPI are complete schitt.... Save your money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CAS
MPI are complete schitt.... Save your money.

I've heard that often and from more than one source. Which is why it surprised me that Waffen. Hein prefers the MPI stock for their Palouse Trophy series.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A picture is worth 1000 words. MPI quality, in a nutshell......

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.