Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I had a volunteer blacktail spike buck this afternoon...shot was about 150 yds, on a flat spot on a mountain side....

Sure would like to report it performed perfect... but sadly I can't... We're talking 90 grain 6mm version.

The buck staggered around a bit.. the does with him, started heading uphill into the trees and vegetation.
He tried to follow and couldn't make it up the bank...so he staggered around a little more and then headed down hill, thru fallen trees and brush ( this was on old forest fire burn).. staggering all the way... this was one of these Oregon mountainsides that was easily at more than a 45 degree angle...

I cranked the scope power up from 4 to 10, as he staggered thru the thick brush and fallen trees, but was not able to get a clear shot...I did see several times of him having a bleeding hole just behind this left shoulder..

He finally went into a thick spot of undergrowth, and didn't leave.. he made it about 200 to 250 yds down the hillside....I looked thru the 12 power binocs, and couldn't see him move which that thick underbrush where he went.

I got the rifle and tried to head down the hillside toward where he went down... it was too steep and I could see breaking and ankle or leg is short order.. I watched the brush pile for about 30 minutes thru the binocs.. to no avail... if he would have gone further down hill, the brush thinned out enough I could have gotten another shot.. but that didn't happen...

Once I got out to near I 5, I finally got cell service...and called Sierra...it would have been 7 PM Missouri time. I told the customer service rep my experience with the product, the load and the caliber... 243...load 33 grains of 3031. He went on to tell me that the bullet is suppose to open up down to 1800 fps....but impact should have been a couple hundred FPS over that... and visual looking thru the scope on 10 power it was evident it was a good hit, in a critical place....

Sierra Rep, then told me the tip helped with opening up, but admitted that the bullet had a much tougher core than people think.... he said it was best used in something like a 240 Weatherby...My load was running about 2500 to 2550 fps out of my 22 inch barrel on my ADL/Rem...

I'm going to disassemble my ammo and spike the power charge up to give me more along the lines of 3000 to 3100 fps......Accuracy was there with my tests..... but testing it into local manzanita branch or two...say going thru 5 to 8 inches of wood... it never failed to penetrate, but the exit damage left something to be desired... more along the lines of just penciling thru... and on this blacktail, I am anticipating that is exactly what happened....

So if anyone is going to try out the Game Changer line, I'd recommend a good stiff load and MV...

Then their tech, tried to talk me into the old 85 grain HP... a bullet I've never been impressed with due to the amount of blood shot meat, I've experienced.....

That is my result of ONE....hence why I'll give it a try with faster velocity.... but none of this was mentioned when I spoke with Sierra BEFORE deer season....

anyone else planning on trying it, Best of Luck on your results...

nice bullet, but its going to be back to the Tried and Trued Ballistic Tips to me..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
So you didn’t go look for the deer?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

I'll second the question.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll 3rd it

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well, I had a volunteer blacktail spike buck this afternoon...shot was about 150 yds, on a flat spot on a mountain side....

Sure would like to report it performed perfect... but sadly I can't... We're talking 90 grain 6mm version.

The buck staggered around a bit.. the does with him, started heading uphill into the trees and vegetation.
He tried to follow and couldn't make it up the bank...so he staggered around a little more and then headed down hill, thru fallen trees and brush ( this was on old forest fire burn).. staggering all the way... this was one of these Oregon mountainsides that was easily at more than a 45 degree angle...

I cranked the scope power up from 4 to 10, as he staggered thru the thick brush and fallen trees, but was not able to get a clear shot...I did see several times of him having a bleeding hole just behind this left shoulder..

He finally went into a thick spot of undergrowth, and didn't leave.. he made it about 200 to 250 yds down the hillside....I looked thru the 12 power binocs, and couldn't see him move which that thick underbrush where he went.

I got the rifle and tried to head down the hillside toward where he went down... it was too steep and I could see breaking and ankle or leg is short order.. I watched the brush pile for about 30 minutes thru the binocs.. to no avail... if he would have gone further down hill, the brush thinned out enough I could have gotten another shot.. but that didn't happen...

Once I got out to near I 5, I finally got cell service...and called Sierra...it would have been 7 PM Missouri time. I told the customer service rep my experience with the product, the load and the caliber... 243...load 33 grains of 3031. He went on to tell me that the bullet is suppose to open up down to 1800 fps....but impact should have been a couple hundred FPS over that... and visual looking thru the scope on 10 power it was evident it was a good hit, in a critical place....

Sierra Rep, then told me the tip helped with opening up, but admitted that the bullet had a much tougher core than people think.... he said it was best used in something like a 240 Weatherby...My load was running about 2500 to 2550 fps out of my 22 inch barrel on my ADL/Rem...

I'm going to disassemble my ammo and spike the power charge up to give me more along the lines of 3000 to 3100 fps......Accuracy was there with my tests..... but testing it into local manzanita branch or two...say going thru 5 to 8 inches of wood... it never failed to penetrate, but the exit damage left something to be desired... more along the lines of just penciling thru... and on this blacktail, I am anticipating that is exactly what happened....

So if anyone is going to try out the Game Changer line, I'd recommend a good stiff load and MV...

Then their tech, tried to talk me into the old 85 grain HP... a bullet I've never been impressed with due to the amount of blood shot meat, I've experienced.....

That is my result of ONE....hence why I'll give it a try with faster velocity.... but none of this was mentioned when I spoke with Sierra BEFORE deer season....

nice bullet, but its going to be back to the Tried and Trued Ballistic Tips to me..

Note the time guys. He had to get back into cell service as Sierra is only open til 8.............

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

So you didn't look for the deer because the hillside was too steep yet decided to shoot him there, aren't exactly sure where you hit, and called the bullet maker to complain without even looking for the deer? WTH?

Is this for real?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
.....holliieee phhuukkk.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tzone

Wondering here too...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That sums it up pretty well.

Originally Posted by joshf303
.....holliieee phhuukkk.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is one of the most confusing and downright weird posts I've read on here in a while...

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm hoping he'll get some help and be up on the hill at dawn to recover the buck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Inquiring minds want to know.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's hard to make an an assessment on poor bullet performance on an animal that wasn't recovered.You don't know exactly where the bullet hit,or what happened once the bullet entered the animal.Almost sounds like the deer was hit in the gut to me and they can travel a good ways sometimes.You should have looked for it a little harder.I shot a buck on a hillside once at 200yds.I was using a 7mag.The deer looked broadside and I hit the deer right behind the shoulder.I noticed through my scope as the rifle recoiled,the deer kinda stretched out when the bullet hit him.It killed him right there.When I got to him,I hit the deer perfectly behind the shoulder,but the bullet didn't exit.What the hell?I found the bullet when I was skinning the deer,it was right under the hide of the offside hindquarter.The bullet performed perfectly,but the hillside played tricks with it in this case.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by baldhunter
It's hard to make an an assessment on poor bullet performance on an animal that wasn't recovered.You don't know exactly where the bullet hit,or what happened once the bullet entered the animal.Almost sounds like the deer was hit in the gut to me and they can travel a good ways sometimes.You should have looked for it a little harder.I shot a buck on a hillside once at 200yds.I was using a 7mag.The deer looked broadside and I hit the deer right behind the shoulder.I noticed through my scope as the rifle recoiled,the deer kinda stretched out when the bullet hit him.It killed him right there.When I got to him,I hit the deer perfectly behind the shoulder,but the bullet didn't exit.What the hell?I found the bullet when I was skinning the deer,it was right under the hide of the offside hindquarter.The bullet performed perfectly,but the hillside played tricks with it in this case.

Agree but what the Sierra tech told him was puzzling. Did they really design a 6mm bullet that won't work with the 243 Win?

Scott
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The bullet ain't the problem here fellas....

This stuff ain't that hard...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Did you aim for the little white spots?

This is gonna be a classic.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
V
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
V
How can it be afternoon out there already?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Odd post??? And not to pile on but unless I'm missing something and he has a special tag like a disabled tag or something I don't think you are allowed to shoot blacktail bucks unless they have at least one forked antler.

The regs read: "One buck deer having not less than a forked antler" So if this was a spike its not a legal buck?????

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All it’s missing is a yellow avalanche and a winch.

Originally Posted by Higbean
This is gonna be a classic.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

John,

Friends don't let friends shoot Sierra bullets.....just sayin. 'wink"

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 55 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.