Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Maryland DNR have designated Flatheads a invasive species. Fisherman are encouraged to not release them back. Watched several YouTube’s where folks are catching 30”+ flatheads in numbers below the Conowingo dam off the Susquehanna. This is roughly 15-20 minutes from my house and want to really go after them. Seems like live lining white perch is the method of choice. Curious how these things cook up? I don’t know what I would do if I brought home 10 of these beasts. Figured I could fillet them out and vacuum seal them and give it away to co-workers at the hospital.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bleed them good and they're quite tasty. Could also brine over night and wash thoroughly then fry in cornmeal/flour seasoned to taste, yummy.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They are very good eating. Cut out the little bit of red meat and the rest of the fillets are white and firm. Fine flavor. I like to soak them in saltwater for a day or two before I freeze them, then give them 2-4 hours in milk before I roll strips in seasoned cornmeal & fry. Sounds like a good opportunity to put some good eating in the freezer. Enjoy!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
look at some videos on fillet big cat fish . I fillet from ribs back to tail MUST MUST remove RED meat along outsides of fillets . it is fat turns grey when fried and has all the nasty . river cats have less fat than lake cats . next cut ribs off slice between every 2 or 3 ribs you get a piece kinda like a lamb chop .last the stomach can be 1/2 " or more thick , its tougher or firmer I try to skin the silver off gut side and use the meat in gumbo or chowder will stay together not flake like fillets

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You guys only fry these monsters? Anyone grill them over charcoal?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can't quite understand Flathead being listed as an invasive species. IMHO the flathead is the best of the catfish. He's a gamer that will bust a spinnerbait in the spring when you're bass fishing and make you think you've hooked a record size bass. Best eating of all the catfish.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That’s very exciting to hear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0MHBGslpRc

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
woodson they are so good fried when I get a big one The wife calls daughters and before I have it cleaned I have about 25 people planing a fish fry . I have been wanting to smoke some or grill on ceder planks just dont have any left
Mogc ; the flathead is an apex predator , they eat all other catfish / sunfish /bream .they can destroy an ecosystem and it can take 20 or more years for the flatheads to be cannibalizing enough of their young before other fish can make a comeback , we dont catch bullheads or mud cats like we use too Like you said flatheads ain't nothin but good eating

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looks like I need to get the old fry daddy out of the garage that’s been there 10 years....

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try blackening it. I do mine outside in a cast iron skillet to keep from smoking up the house.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree they are the best eating of all the catfish! Don't leave the belly meat or the cheeks because it's the best of all!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well they ain't crappie or walleye, but done right they're good enough. As mentioned above, cut the red strip out and trim the fat off the top and bottom of the fillets. Then slice them into chicken tenderloin size pieces. I soak them in light / medium saltwater in the fridge overnight and rewash. I dunk them in 2/3 egg : 1/3 milk mixed. Then shake them in a bag full of crushed saltine crackers before a swim in 375* peanut oil. I like them drowned in ketchup after on the dinner plate. Yeehaw

Last edited by Barney_Fife; 10/16/18.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by xverminator
I agree they are the best eating of all the catfish! Don't leave the belly meat or the cheeks because it's the best of all!

X-VERMINATOR

This^^^ I have watched people filet them and leave both behind. I would take the belly and cheeks over the side meat anyday.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Flathead catfish are very good to eat. Best of the catfish. As others have said skin the belly and keep it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not being an experienced catfisherman I once landed a really nice flathead (didn't know what the hell it was) from my kayak. It was a tremendous battle. The fish was about 30" and bit on a black plastic lizard. It came out from under a tree about midday like a torpedo. Created a friggin wake!

The fish was so ugly with it's black and brown splotchy skin, I thought it was sick! Threw it back...

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dan Chamberlain,

BIG MISTAKE on your part!!! = I'm an ex-commercial trotliner/set-hooks guy & paid both my GF & my college expenses from peddling catfish. = I ran the lines & April sold the fish out of the back of my old International Scout, either still alive or dressed to order.
(All these years later, I still don't know if the customers liked our catfish better than looking at lovely April in crop top & short-shorts but she was very successful at selling our fish.)

MY FAVORITE is the little "single servers" (under 3# live weight & cooked whole, after being dressed), simply dredged in yellow cornmeal with salt/pepper, fried until flaking & served with fried potatoes.

NOTE: Catfish are EASY to undercook or overcook. = WATCH them in the skillet carefully.

just my OPINION, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The belly on a flathead is the best part.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Also the breast bones and the heads on the ones ten pounds and under.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm with you, the littler ones are the great ones to eat.
Others can have all the big ones they get

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have smoked many of them. My wife also grilled them. She put the fillets in butter, onions, red & green peppers, salt and whatever over a grill. Seshwan sauce too. Very good. I dont go for them anymore cause they mostly bite at night.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here in Texas the flathead is the very top of the eating list. They can only be kept if over 18" in length and you can only keep 5 per day. They are considered a game fish so you cannot sell them. I used to keep a trotline out 24/7 for them but got old and lazy. Not unusual to catch a 25-45 lb fish and that will dress out several lbs of good eating but till you get some practice you will earn every ounce.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Here in Texas the flathead is the very top of the eating list. They can only be kept if over 18" in length and you can only keep 5 per day. They are considered a game fish so you cannot sell them. I used to keep a trotline out 24/7 for them but got old and lazy. Not unusual to catch a 25-45 lb fish and that will dress out several lbs of good eating but till you get some practice you will earn every ounce.

Nailed it. FINE eating. We fish for them every year. Caught a 76# one 2 years ago that was fantastic eating. I share all the Blue Cats and Channel cats but the FlatHeads come home with us..

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The best tasting catfish bar none. You can eat the bellies of the flathead. Awesome tasting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 49 invisible), 2,174 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.