Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Originally Posted by deflave
There's a place about 15 minutes from here that has Sporting Clay runs for $38 per 100 clays.

I've always thought shooting fake birds was stupid, but since I don't have any real birds, I may give it a try.

Anything I need to know going in? Does everybody shoot low brass 7 1/2 type stuff? What's a good score?

Good God, First its Sporting Clays...... then you will want to go fishing in Shorts and Tank Top in a swamp! What has happened to the MT flash? Is FLA really that influential........

When in Rome!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I like to use smaller gauges or 1 oz loads around 1200 fps in that I found lighter recoil helps my score. I usually use a light Modified choke. Did league shoots with friends for a few years. It was a lot of fun. Have had friends catch the bug and shoot 20,000 rounds of ammo per year which gets expensive.

Yowza!

Thanks for the info.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ZKight89
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Try not to laugh at the dudes pulling carts full of fancy over and unders and changing chokes at every station. I like improved cylinder and have used skeet chokes enough not to feel under choked around here. Have fun it can be habit forming.

+1,000, I've shot Clay's everywhere from Florida up to Jersey and west to Oklahoma. There were these types at every course. However, we use our pumps and banged up auto loaders, carry our shells in a pack and sling our guns instead of renting a golf cart and barely ever tighten our poly chokes past Improved Cylinder. It is easily my favorite off season activity besides bass fishing. $38 for a 100 birds is pretty good price too, just paid $25 for 50 here in NC yesterday.

Good to know. Thanks.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Deflave, my pal is a big time shooter and he loved the RIO 1 oz loads of 7 1/2 and maybe 8's they were something like 1255fps if I remember!! Have fun!! Hope you get back to Montana soon!!

I'll keep an eye out.

Probably wont' be back until retirement. 10ish years.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by passport
All true battue, but we’re talking about a guy that’s never shot sporting clays and clearly has little to no shotgun trigger time. Remember, he thinks it’s stupid lol!!

I've been fortunate to live in places that had lots of live targets.

Not many have.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deflave, my pal is a big time shooter and he loved the RIO 1 oz loads of 7 1/2 and maybe 8's they were something like 1255fps if I remember!! Have fun!! Hope you get back to Montana soon!!

I'll keep an eye out.

So you kept the single wide in havre city trailer park?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z

Not many have.

The most shooting I ever get to do in Florida is when Snipe season rolls around.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

So it sounds like if you're just shooting to keep the rust off a guy would err on the side of a tighter choke?

For myself,yes. Less room for error, but it should make one be more exact in their point. Others disagree and go for a larger pattern. Someone else said it, but we often miss by feet, but chokes only give us inches.

laissez les bons temps rouler
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S

I'll keep an eye out.

So you kept the single wide in havre city trailer park?

It a double.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ZKight89

Not many have.

The most shooting I ever get to do in Florida is when Snipe season rolls around.

I catch those in a burlap sack.

IC B3

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by battue

So it sounds like if you're just shooting to keep the rust off a guy would err on the side of a tighter choke?

For myself,yes. Less room for error, but it should make one be more exact in their point. Others disagree and go for a larger pattern. Someone else said it, but we often miss by feet, but chokes only give us inches.

I only hunt with a full so I'm thinking I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks for the info.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Might want to look at the target presentation before selecting a choke, just a thought.....

I don't even know what that means.

From an article on chokes:

"The other key factor is presentation. As we discussed, edge-on targets are much harder to break. A 35 yard edge-on crosser can be more of a challenge to both shooter and equipment than a 50 yard driven target. The visible area is considerably smaller and the face presented to the shot is the thickest and hardest. A target showing its full belly on the other hand exposes the thinnest part of the clay and will require fewer pellet strikes for a clean break.

Choke selection then is part art, part science and (hopefully) now a little less mystery."

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Bet you can't catch a bona fide Florida Mud Dove in a sack.....

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Might want to look at the target presentation before selecting a choke, just a thought.....

I don't even know what that means.

From an article on chokes:

"The other key factor is presentation. As we discussed, edge-on targets are much harder to break. A 35 yard edge-on crosser can be more of a challenge to both shooter and equipment than a 50 yard driven target. The visible area is considerably smaller and the face presented to the shot is the thickest and hardest. A target showing its full belly on the other hand exposes the thinnest part of the clay and will require fewer pellet strikes for a clean break.

Choke selection then is part art, part science and (hopefully) now a little less mystery."

You mean changing chokes in the field based on the angle of the clay/bird?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not on the angle of flight.

Based on the surface area of the clay exposed. Which could be at any flight angle. Go shoot, it will quickly be obvious.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Alright. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7.5's and a modified choke will work fine. No need to skullphuck it to death, as is the 'fire norm. Think 30-06, Leupold 3X9.....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I got hooked on it at the beginning of last year. I was trying it with my 870, but quickly figured out that wasn't going to do. I want to do well, I hate it when I suck at something. I found a really nice used Citori for a good price and bought it. Now we shoot a couple of times a week. Try it, you'll like it.

I bought some extended chokes that I can switch if I need to. I generally use a Skeet and an IC. If it's a longer trap shot, I'll take out the Skeet and put in a Mod. If it's shorter closer in stuff like Rabbits, I might take out the IC and put in a CYL. I'll also switch the barrels back and forth depending on how I'm going to shoot that station. It's almost like golf, you're not going to make a long drive with a 9 iron, or a short chip shot with a driver. If you want just a good all around choke, most of the guys that shoot an automatic use an IC.

When I first started, I was shooting in the teens (out of 50). Within a month or so, I was shooting in the 20's. Now I'm hanging in the 30's and I shot over 40 a couple of times. Yesterday, just playing around and practicing, I think I only missed about 8 or 10 out of 50.

A 20ga is fine. Some guys shoot a 28ga. I shoot a 12ga, so I can't comment of what type of shell to use. A guy at our club puts in a huge order together for us twice a year from RIO. I shoot #8, 1 1/8 oz., 1250 fps. for about $5.25 per box. I'll go through about 4000 rounds this year. Walmart sells Remington 100 round 12ga, #8, 1 1/8 oz., 1200 fps Value packs for about $20.00.

I shoot at a couple of clubs, and the going rate is about $15.00 for 50 birds. So $36.00 for 100 birds ain't bad.

I shot 5 stand last week for the first time. That's like a high speed version of sporting clays and it's fun as schit. It's a little harder because you have to keep your head screwed on tight and pay attention to what you're doing.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found that sporting clays is like playing a bunch of different golf courses and skeet is like playing the same one over and over. 5 Stand is somewhere in between. Trap is like going to the driving range.

I've probably shot more skeet than anything lately. It's kinda like a measuring stick of sorts. Sporting clays is fun as hell until you want to take it seriously.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I only hunt with a full so I'm thinking I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.