Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
When I started sporting clays, the most common choke used was Modified. Several years later screw in chokes became more available and people began swapping out chokes. Several years after that the trend was back toward fixed chokes, generally Improved Modified in fixed barrel guns and IM/Full or Full/Full, at least for the better shooters.

The theory is, (generally speaking) the center of the pattern is the same regardless of choking and if you put the center of the pattern on the clay, choke doesn't matter. Years back Bruce Buck discussed this in his "Ask the Technoid" column in one of th shotgun magazines and online.

Tighter chokes will break just as many targets up close as more open ones as well as provide a denser core at the longer ranges. Not having to concern one's self with choke choice means one can spend more mental energy making the shot than wondering if the "right" choke is being used. Until one realizes this, more open chokes are preferred as it gives the shooter more confidence in making the shot- whether deserved or not. If you are used to shooting a Full choke, use that and don't give it further thought. Just concentrate on the bird and shoot when things look right.

As for shells, most anything one can buy in 7 1/2 or 8 will be as good as the shooter if not better. I highly doubt anyone here is good enough to notice a difference in the shells used and even if one is in the upper 1%, their shooting ability will offset any deficiency in she'll quality to a large percentage. Premium loads will do more to soothe the shooter's mind than actually improve their ability. I'll shoot them to get the hulls for reloading but won't but won't worry if I have to settle for inexpensive Federal, Winchester, or Remington 100 packs or similar quality shells for all but FITASC, Super Sporting, or Compak where the ranges tend to be greater. Even then, it is more to ease my mind as I am not in the upper crust of shooters.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to try to shoot a round once a month but lately two or three times a year's about it. I usually shoot a 12 gauge 1100 and gone from changing chokes at different stations to shooting everything with IC. I use 8s for most of it and 7&1/2s for the longer shots. My scores are about the same as when I was changing chokes. 70s with a 12, high 60s with a 20 and around 60 with a 28. Nothing great.

I like it better than skeet and a lot better than trap. $38 per 100 isn't a bad price.

It's a lot easier than doves.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
When I started sporting clays, the most common choke used was Modified. Several years later screw in chokes became more available and people began swapping out chokes. Several years after that the trend was back toward fixed chokes, generally Improved Modified in fixed barrel guns and IM/Full or Full/Full, at least for the better shooters.

The theory is, (generally speaking) the center of the pattern is the same regardless of choking and if you put the center of the pattern on the clay, choke doesn't matter. Years back Bruce Buck discussed this in his "Ask the Technoid" column in one of th shotgun magazines and online.

Tighter chokes will break just as many targets up close as more open ones as well as provide a denser core at the longer ranges. Not having to concern one's self with choke choice means one can spend more mental energy making the shot than wondering if the "right" choke is being used. Until one realizes this, more open chokes are preferred as it gives the shooter more confidence in making the shot- whether deserved or not. If you are used to shooting a Full choke, use that and don't give it further thought. Just concentrate on the bird and shoot when things look right.

As for shells, most anything one can buy in 7 1/2 or 8 will be as good as the shooter if not better. I highly doubt anyone here is good enough to notice a difference in the shells used and even if one is in the upper 1%, their shooting ability will offset any deficiency in she'll quality to a large percentage. Premium loads will do more to soothe the shooter's mind than actually improve their ability. I'll shoot them to get the hulls for reloading but won't but won't worry if I have to settle for inexpensive Federal, Winchester, or Remington 100 packs or similar quality shells for all but FITASC, Super Sporting, or Compak where the ranges tend to be greater. Even then, it is more to ease my mind as I am not in the upper crust of shooters.

Thanks woodmaster. Agree with you on the choke philosophy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I used to try to shoot a round once a month but lately two or three times a year's about it. I usually shoot a 12 gauge 1100 and gone from changing chokes at different stations to shooting everything with IC. I use 8s for most of it and 7&1/2s for the longer shots. My scores are about the same as when I was changing chokes. 70s with a 12, high 60s with a 20 and around 60 with a 28. Nothing great.

I like it better than skeet and a lot better than trap. $38 per 100 isn't a bad price.

It's a lot easier than doves.

Thanks, 43.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by battue

So it sounds like if you're just shooting to keep the rust off a guy would err on the side of a tighter choke?

For myself,yes. Less room for error, but it should make one be more exact in their point. Others disagree and go for a larger pattern. Someone else said it, but we often miss by feet, but chokes only give us inches.

I only hunt with a full so I'm thinking I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]

Damn I'm good.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flave, as far as guns go, use what ya got. Ammo, the cheapest stuff works fine as everything is relatively short range. A good score is 80 or better. I've shot trap for 40 years but the best I've ever done at sporting is 32. Don't obsess on the score. Have a great time. Blast away.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fubarguy
the cheapest stuff works fine as everything is relatively short range. A good score is 80 or better. I've shot trap for 40 years but the best I've ever done at sporting is 32. Don't obsess on the score. Have a great time. Blast away.

Not so sure about everything being relatively short range. 35 yards may be average, but it is an average.

laissez les bons temps rouler
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Flave, as far as guns go, use what ya got. Ammo, the cheapest stuff works fine as everything is relatively short range. A good score is 80 or better. I've shot trap for 40 years but the best I've ever done at sporting is 32. Don't obsess on the score. Have a great time. Blast away.

Will do. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Will do. Thanks.

How do you like Florida so far?
Still warm here, up north is starting to see snow.
When the gulf water cools a bit, grab your tackle and go!'

Deer season is almost upon us and feral hogs are everywhere.
Go get em!

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
We like it fine fubar.

Don't see myself hunting in Florida but you never know. I may if the opportunity arrises.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We like it fine fubar.

Don't see myself hunting in Florida but you never know. I may if the opportunity arrises.

Go after them big-azzed Boa snakes they got in the swamps... That'll get yer adrenaline goin' a tad.. laugh

Just me - but I tried sporting clays twice.. Won't go back.. IMVHO, a total waste of time/money.. And then there's the snobs at the round that pooh-poo anything other than what THEY shoot.. FWIW, I shot fixed-choke O/U SKBs and hit maybe 50%..

Enough... But I hope you have a great time and find friendly folks there..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I need a boat to go after those. Until my old house sells my boat budget is fugked.

Going to shoot a round of this today. It is reservation only.

Sounds fancy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The nearest sporting clay range to me is reservation only- not because it is fancy but due to the course not being used every day and the need to load machines, replace batteries, and sometimes to ensure a trapper is available. Needless to say, the coarse is pretty bare bones as a "fancy" one would have all that covered every day.

In any event, have fun and enjoy being out shooting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Theres a range not far from me that is open six days week. Trap, skeet, and 5 stand

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Ok, that was an awful showing but I actually had a lot of fun. I had two spots reserved but my son told me he ain't paying $40 to shoot fake birds. He's such an ass hole. Next time I'll invite Local Dirt.

[Linked Image]

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I used my Franchi Affinity in 20 gauge. A box of 100 shells was $21 at Wal-Mart. So under $75 for the whole thing. I don't think that's too bad really. Especially if you're just doing it casually.

I'll definitely be going back.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
The nearest sporting clay range to me is reservation only- not because it is fancy but due to the course not being used every day and the need to load machines, replace batteries, and sometimes to ensure a trapper is available. Needless to say, the coarse is pretty bare bones as a "fancy" one would have all that covered every day.

In any event, have fun and enjoy being out shooting.

This place has skeet and trap and SC but they only do sporting clays on the weekends, Tuesday evening and Thursday all day. It was just blind luck that I could go this Thursday. I called Wednesday and got a 1p slot but nobody showed up so I was able to shoot with just the caddy or guide or WTF they call him. I was thankful for that because I didn't know what I was doing at all.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He would usually be referred to as the trapper. But Cody will probably be best.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're gonna get hooked on it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by battue
He would usually be referred to as the trapper. But Cody will probably be best.

Battue! You came up out on the range!

He tells me "target number two is going to be a battue." I said, "WTF is a battue?" LMAO.

Poor 'flave.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.