Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
There's a place about 15 minutes from here that has Sporting Clay runs for $38 per 100 clays.

I've always thought shooting fake birds was stupid, but since I don't have any real birds, I may give it a try.

Anything I need to know going in? Does everybody shoot low brass 7 1/2 type stuff? What's a good score?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Any cheap low brass loads will do, I shoot whatever 100 round value pack is cheapest at Wally World . As far as score I can't tell you much, the boys and I just shoot for fun and to get out of momma's hair.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like to use smaller gauges or 1 oz loads around 1200 fps in that I found lighter recoil helps my score. I usually use a light Modified choke. Did league shoots with friends for a few years. It was a lot of fun. Have had friends catch the bug and shoot 20,000 rounds of ammo per year which gets expensive.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ZKight89
Any cheap low brass loads will do, I shoot whatever 100 round value pack is cheapest at Wally World . As far as score I can't tell you much, the boys and I just shoot for fun and to get out of momma's hair.

10-4

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good score I would say is greater than 75 or so. I would consider anything in the 90s a great score.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Try not to laugh at the dudes pulling carts full of fancy over and unders and changing chokes at every station. I like improved cylinder and have used skeet chokes enough not to feel under choked around here. Have fun it can be habit forming.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Try not to laugh at the dudes pulling carts full of fancy over and unders and changing chokes at every station. I like improved cylinder and have used skeet chokes enough not to feel under choked around here. Have fun it can be habit forming.

+1,000, I've shot Clay's everywhere from Florida up to Jersey and west to Oklahoma. There were these types at every course. However, we use our pumps and banged up auto loaders, carry our shells in a pack and sling our guns instead of renting a golf cart and barely ever tighten our poly chokes past Improved Cylinder. It is easily my favorite off season activity besides bass fishing. $38 for a 100 birds is pretty good price too, just paid $25 for 50 here in NC yesterday.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Remington Gun Club 7.5, 1oz along with the same in the Rio brand are you friend.

As far as score it will depend on the course set at the time. Some are hunter friendly and others for competition. You will know after a couple of rounds. Some places have both easy and hard stations, that are determined by where they place the stand in relationship to the trap.

Last edited by battue; 10/13/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Derrick Mein is one of those with the fancy gun and cart. I doubt if many would laugh at him when watching him shoot.

There are more than a few of him and her out there.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy chit....

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Deflave, my pal is a big time shooter and he loved the RIO 1 oz loads of 7 1/2 and maybe 8's they were something like 1255fps if I remember!! Have fun!! Hope you get back to Montana soon!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
There's a place about 15 minutes from here that has Sporting Clay runs for $38 per 100 clays.

I've always thought shooting fake birds was stupid, but since I don't have any real birds, I may give it a try.

Anything I need to know going in? Does everybody shoot low brass 7 1/2 type stuff? What's a good score?

Good God, First its Sporting Clays...... then you will want to go fishing in Shorts and Tank Top in a swamp! What has happened to the MT flash? Is FLA really that influential........

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i shoot 1 ounce loads of #8 shot. moatly remington gunclubs as i can get them the cheapest.

typically cyl and imp. cyl chokes with a light mod. in my pocket

if i were shooting a singke barrel id use either imp cyl or light mod and call it a day

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might want to look at the target presentation before selecting a choke, just a thought.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And a good thought it would be. That being said most of the great guns are choked tight. Many will tell you, ink balls breed confidence, chips doubt.

One of the main takeaways from that video is how short Derricks move is. It is quick like a snake strike. However, it all starts with his hold point. The rest of us usually ride the target trying to get it right. Like he said, "Trust it."

He also won last years National Championship.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All true battue, but we’re talking about a guy that’s never shot sporting clays and clearly has little to no shotgun trigger time. Remember, he thinks it’s stupid lol!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From his Montana posts I think he knows his way around a shotgun. If he likes SC, I think he will be above average fairly quickly.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by passport
Might want to look at the target presentation before selecting a choke, just a thought.....

I don't even know what that means.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by battue
Remington Gun Club 7.5, 1oz along with the same in the Rio brand are you friend.

As far as score it will depend on the course set at the time. Some are hunter friendly and others for competition. You will know after a couple of rounds. Some places have both easy and hard stations, that are determined by where they place the stand in relationship to the trap.

So it sounds like if you're just shooting to keep the rust off a guy would err on the side of a tighter choke?

I love competing and gaming games but I doubt see this being a sport I ever get into seriously. Just something for my son and I to do every other month or so.

We just plan on using our regular bird guns in 20 gauge.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,163 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.