-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Our group of 5 hunters (4 Texas and 1 Colorado) trekked to the Boars Nest hog hunting preserve in southern Oklahoma last Saturday for fun, pork, and sport. The taker of the largest hog won the prize which is the honor of making the base report on the forum of his choice. Any other hunters or forum members can and will always add their two bits to the thread.

Fred's big brown 300 pound boar with a lever gun won and he chose to post on Leverguns.com. Rather than try to copy all the story and many pix over here, I am just supplying this link :

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72379

If you think you would like taking hogs with hounds up close and personal more than taking them over a feeder at 100 yards, you might find this interesting.

BTW, if there are any other Boars Nest hunters here , please say so.
Enjoy!

Last edited by crshelton; 10/13/18. Reason: correction

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The story was good but unless you join their forum you cannot view the pictures. Just FYI

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice rifle !

Last edited by ol_mike; 10/14/18.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I asked the webmaster about this and was told that it was because of how Fred loaded the pix onto the Leverguns.com site web server.

I am told that my comment pix are visible to non members. Could you see the two of my .405 double rifle?
My comment pix I always use a photo site that converts the JPEG to be forum compatible and then I can post those pix on any web site. My boar and Beretta double.:
[Linked Image]

The term "pen" is not used by the hunters as it is a wooded, hilly, rocky pasture cut up by small creeks, two tracks, and game trails.
Most shots are less than 50 yards and are rarely standing broadside. The sow below is an exception as I was till hunting one morning and came upon her feeding about 50 yards downhill . This is my largest feral hog so far and bigger than any boar I have taken:
[Linked Image]

PS I paid Mo double for work on this hog - it made a LOT of sausage.

Last edited by crshelton; 10/14/18. Reason: Update

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Put and take hunting. Lots of places further south that offer low fence feral hogs.
Nice hogs and no judgement on your chosen hunt, but plenty of free ranging hogs to be taken all over the south.
They should taste great.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wytex,
You are correct about lots of hogs and places to hunt them. I shot two open range hogs on the YO Schreiner Ranch earlier this summer, along with an Axis doe. My game processor is located just 5 miles from my farm and they put on hog hunts with dogs too! My last hunting lease was only 20 miles away in Hunt county and there were deer and hogs- my grandson was the reason for being on that lease and he shot some hogs and does there, But he has grown up and I grew tired of maintaining corn feeders and property that I do not own.

So I now spend the lease $$ on hunting exotics (I need no more deer antlers) on other folks properties, preferably where they guide, collect game, clean game and pop it into my freezer. As you seem to know, Texas has many such ranches and during Thanksgiving week, we will hunt three of them for big bucks (grandson) , Axis doe for family meat, and hogs for fun and pork and may squeeze in a day of fishing at Rockport.

One point of interest on my big red sow- landowner told me than she and her sister had lived in his trophy boar pasture for 5 years and were rarely seen by hunters. They and other sows had raised many litters in that time. Who knows where those hogs came from? And you could see that my black boar with splitting hairs and evil eye had not come from any farm in recent generations, if at all. Since my freezers are full, I passed that meat on to another hunter who is running short of breakfast sausage.

Next, a friend will be passing through later this month and we may go back to the Boars Nest just for a day of sport. We will both be shooting .405 doubles and enjoying it.
BTW, other hunting buddies and I have booked a bear hunt next May in Wyoming- looking forward to that for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crshelton
IThis is my largest feral hog so far and bigger than any boar I have taken:
[Linked Image]

PS I paid Mo double for work on this hog - it made a LOT of sausage.

Sounds like a great time, and that is one big hog!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing like a bunch of old lazy fugks gatherin' for a "hunt" on 115 fenced acres coming to the forums and proclaiming they hunted.................TFF!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Exactly!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.