Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll be hunting with a Beretta Silver Sable II O/U in 9.3x74R, shooting Norma 286 gr. Oryx, and the scope is a S&B Stratos 1.5-8x42. Have been working on getting this combo ready for hunting for a few months now, all the work is done. But I just missed having it ready for this year. So I have something nice to look forward to next season.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
338-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Truck trouble cut my hunt frim 5 days t 201/2 and hose were further cut back by my desire to help daughter #1 get her first elk and mulie. Got in my range for elk but closed another 100 and they were in the trees. had to leave before they came back out at dusk because Daughter #1 was 7-1/2 months prego and last time we were on that hill my hunting buddy got tanglefoot in the sage in th dark, badly spraining his ankle. Did not want to risk that with Daughter #1.

So, didn't get to use either of the rifles I took. Ruger MKII in .300WM and .338WM, both with skeleton stocks. No biggie, the freezers are full of antelope.

Hard t tell which rifles I'll take next year, but the loads are ready so the bullet choices are easy:

120g Swift A-Frame

7mm
140g AccuBond
140g North Fork HP (prototype)
160g North Fork SS

150g Nosler Ballistic Tip
168g Barnes TTSX
175g Barnes LRX
180g North Fork SS

225g Nosler AccuBond

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll be using a NULA .284, most likely a 160 gr Accubond, and planning either a Schmidt Bender Summit 2.5-10, or Klassic 3-12.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
How do I know, I haven't killed an elk this year yet...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Probably the same rifle that has worked for the past several years, Sako Deluxe 300 WBY Magnum with Swarovski Z-6 3-18X50 BRH scope...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I’ll just be happy to make it to "next year"!

Yep, me too! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Ben and Bob, let's not hear any more moaning. You are both comparative youths compared to me!

While I've figured out what to take for my late December NM private land hunt the year, it is fun to anticipate what would be best for next as well.

This year will be a 30-06 LH Model 70 that I actually bought on the 'Fire a few years ago from a fine guy in Farmington, NM. It has a 6X Leupold and I will use 180 gr Federal Nosler Partitions or Federal 2000 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw cartridges I feel very comfortable with 30-06s and have several.

I will also bring (and may shoot) a 300 WSM LH model 70 Custom Shop beauty with match grade barrel. It has a 3x9 Cabela's Meopta sight. Also similar Federal 180 gr ammo.

The outfitter says to expect 200 yard shots at this time of year, as the herds know all about hunters.

For next, year, my hunting partner, a lifelong NM fellow, and I hope to draw in one of the public land NM areas he has hunted before, so conditions and time of year will be different. I am toying with bringing my .348 Winchester Model 71 with peep sight for that one, since the opportunities will hopefully be closer. If that is the case, I may shoot reloads as I have found some good brass and bullets.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I draw a tag, it will probably be a 338-06.
9.3x64 or 300 H&H get honorable mention.

Arcus Venator
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ll stick with Shrapnel’s choice and take my Mark V Fibermark .300 Weatherby with Kahles Helia C 2.5-10x50 shooting 168 gr TTSX handloads. Why monkey with success!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yesterday, while straightening up my gun safe, I took out my MkV .300 Weatherby, which hasn't been used for several years- last time was 5 years ago, on a successful bull elk hunt. Since, I have been 'guiding' my sons on their elk hunts, just going along to drive, spot, gut, skin, etc. etc.

Next year, it's my turn again, with enough points built up to draw in the unit I want. With a stable of very accurate, adequate elk rifles in the safe, like a .30-06, .280, .270 WSM, and my .300, a choice of what to use can be (is) bewildering at times.
Anyway- today was a windless, sunny day, so I decided to go to the range with my neglected .300 Wby. and some of my 165 gr. Barnes TSX handloads. After a fouler, I began with what was a string of sub-MOA groups with my Wby. Sure, it makes more noise, has more recoil, and at 8.5# all up, a bit heavier than my other rifles, but shooting my old MkV brought back memories of past successful hunts with her, in CO, WY, Africa, and even Mongolia for a Gobi Ibex.

Nowadays, she wears a Mcmillan Edge stock which is glass bedded and free floated, barrel recrowned sometime in the past, Talley mounts and rings, and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope. If/when I draw again here in CO, I think the .300 will once again go hunting!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If health allows, I will take the same one as I did this year. Sako A7 30-06, Leupold 3x9, handloads with 165 Accubonds running about 2750-2800.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This levergun worked on this bull last week and dozens of times before.
I think it will be up to the task long after my body has failed me.

[Linked Image]

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice.....Congrats! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Anjin

Ben and Bob, let's not hear any more moaning. You are both comparative youths compared to me!

While I've figured out what to take for my late December NM private land hunt the year, it is fun to anticipate what would be best for next as well.

This year will be a 30-06 LH Model 70 that I actually bought on the 'Fire a few years ago from a fine guy in Farmington, NM. It has a 6X Leupold and I will use 180 gr Federal Nosler Partitions or Federal 2000 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw cartridges I feel very comfortable with 30-06s and have several.

I will also bring (and may shoot) a 300 WSM LH model 70 Custom Shop beauty with match grade barrel. It has a 3x9 Cabela's Meopta sight. Also similar Federal 180 gr ammo.

The outfitter says to expect 200 yard shots at this time of year, as the herds know all about hunters.

For next, year, my hunting partner, a lifelong NM fellow, and I hope to draw in one of the public land NM areas he has hunted before, so conditions and time of year will be different. I am toying with bringing my .348 Winchester Model 71 with peep sight for that one, since the opportunities will hopefully be closer. If that is the case, I may shoot reloads as I have found some good brass and bullets.

Norm

Sounds good Norm! Would really like to see you connect with the 71!!!! 😊 I had a great hunt this year for a cow! Freezer is full and that was the goal!! I’m really hoping for an opportunity for one of my flintlocks. We’ll see what transpires.

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Norm

That 2000 gr Bear Claw must pack a hell of a wallop on both ends! What twist do you have to stabilize it? laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
[quote=mudhen]

Norm

That 2000 gr Bear Claw must pack a hell of a wallop on both ends! What twist do you have to stabilize it? laugh

I was wondering which is longer - the bullet or the barrel?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If my shooting is as bad as my typing with my glasses off, I suppose I don't need to worry about recoil. The Bear Claw bullets are individually in fact only 200 grains. blush

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As it turned out, the LH Model 70 .300 WSM with Nosler partitions worked fine on Saturday.

In fact, the distance would have been well within my capabilities with open sights at only about 100 yards, so I'm thinking more and more about bringing the Model 71 lever action next year. It is a 1941 last production year pre-WW2 vintage, naturally in .348 Win. Not much more weight than a scoped bolt action, at least to me.

Norm

Norman Solberg
F
F
I will be bringing back my trusty Sako A7 with Vortex 4-12x44 in 7mm-08 with 4 Years and 4 elk under its belt. Been a great combo for me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I toted an old knight mk-85 muzzleloader this year for my first ever elk hunt. Couldn't get one in quite under my 200yd limit. If im allowed a rifle next time i'll carry my sharps or my M70 375 H&H.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.