-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know everyone knows Tikkas shoot well. I just got my first CTR, though, and thought I'd share a brief review of how it shot my first time out in case anyone is thinking of one.

I've had a couple of 308s over the years. Last month I sold my last one. It was set up for a target game (FTR) with a 30 inch barrel, no safety, etc. Since I moved four years ago I stopped shooting that game, I tried to sell it with the ammo and components, but ended up just selling the rifle. Since I had about 700 bullets, lots of Varget, brass, dies, etc., rather than try to sell all that, I thought the logical thing to do was buy another 308.

I saw a blued Tikka T3 CTR for sale on the classifieds for $625. I bought that. With the transfer fee and a Limbsaver, I am at $700 even for the riffle. That is $235 less than I can get a new T3x, so I was happy with the price.

I cleaned the gun carefully and installed dyna tek bore shield inside and out. I prepped the stock and sprayed it with Krylon fusion (a spray paint that goes well with plastic), then a little gold webbing, then some black webbing, then a clear coat. I hung the stock over a warm stove to let the paint cure for two days, then took it out for the first time last Thursday.

I shot once at the 50 yard target. I used the mil reticle to dial my correction and the second shot was in the orange dot. Once more for good measure, then I rotated the gun a few inches and quickly shot five at the 100 yard target to help cure the dyna tek.

Those five are by the top left dot. That is five fired fast. This is with 155 Nosler CC, varget, and Lapua I had loaded up for the old rifle. Then I cleaned the barrel and shot at the next dot. (Top row, second from left.)

The first shot went low to the four o'clock position, then five went in a group that went. 58 on centers. I then took of the scope to check how the mounts would return to zero and shot the next two low at six o'clock. Then I dialed the correction in, added a half mil to keep my groups separate, and shot the five right above the dot. I was shooting in a gusty crosswind and really think that horizontal spread is the wind. Then I shot another rifle to let the CTR barrel cool.

The next group, aimed at the the third dot on the top row, is a load for gophers. 110 Vmax over 8208. In the other 30 inch barrel I got 3240. This CTr 20 inch barrel gives me a little under 3000. The wind died down for a minute and I shot six quickly. Center to center is .34. Then I shot the same load but .3 more powder. The first three bullets almost went in the same hole. Then the wind picked up again. I was using the wind flag in the picture below. I had two flags out, but it was weird enough i ended up just watching the one at the target. The following three shots are to the right of the first three.

Then I tried 168 ELD M over Varget. (bottom row, far left I had only loaded four of these because I only had a limited number of unloaded brass. Two touching, then the other two touching. The wind was switching badly and I should have waited it out, but I didn't have time. The next group was .3 more varget. I was happy with speed, but not the groups. I need to retest these because I don't know what is the load and what is the wind.

I shot another Tikka to let this one cool again. The wind calmed some.I completely pulled the first shot low. (My excuse is this CTR has the trigger at one pound, eight ounces, lighter than the other Tikka I was alternately shooting.) These next shots are the 168 ELD with the 8208. The next five are to the right of the dot. The next load is to the right of the last dot and it is .3 more powder. The gun obviously likes this load, but it is a little slow so I will go back out later to try more powder since this is a moderate load.

For my first trip out I'm very happy with the rifle. I'd heard and read good things about CTRs, but to shoot like this the first time out makes me happy. The bolt is really slick and the steel mag is nice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cannot argue with that. Not at all...

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm cognizant of the advantages of other short action cartridges, but I'm still a sucker for a good 308. This weekend I put together some loads for a friend's Kimber Longmaster. LC77 Match brass, R 9 1/2, 41.5 gr. H4895 and 168 gr. Berger VLD's seated to feed well from the magazine. I have no idea how far they're jumping. After getting the zero set for 200 yards the last five went into 5/8 moa. I called it good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm cognizant of the advantages of other short action cartridges, but I'm still a sucker for a good 308.

Me too. Easy to load for and it flat out hammers game. I also have a Tikka CTR in 308.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 10/15/18.

Scott
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I never thought much of a 308 until I bought one. I turned my nose up whenever I heard a hunter say he was using a 308, but it flat out kills, it’s accurate as hell. It is easy on the shoulder, damn fun to shoot.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice paint job as well. Good shooting. The CTR is a wonderful all around gun. I'd tote the CTR around most all places I hunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,354 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.