Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
The past 2yrs pack rats or field mice have gotten in to my truck while hunting my favorite spot, or camping in other locales, as evidenced by chewed up paper towels and holes in a bag of trail mix. Other than a small mess, thankfully no chewed up wires or other damage has been incurred. I've since been removing all food from the cab, but I noticed chewed up tissues on my last camping trip so the little bastards are still attracted and getting in. I searched the google machine but have read mixed reviews about various solutions - dryer sheets, peppermint oil etc. Dryer sheets seem to get a thumbs up, but there is no common consensus on them or anything else. Has anyone used dryer sheets, peppermint or other remedies successfully to keep critters out? Any advice is much appreciated.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a .17 caliber rifle myself. Ricochets being what they are and all.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sticky traps on the floorboard when it is sitting overnight. Don't forget to remove in the morning when you are getting in .

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My kid used peppermint oil on cotton balls stashed strategically around his engine bay. No more chewed wires.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by jeeper
sticky traps on the floorboard when it is sitting overnight. Don't forget to remove in the morning when you are getting in .

Thanks, I'd prefer to deter them from being attracted to/ getting in to the cab.

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
My kid used peppermint oil on cotton balls stashed strategically around his engine bay. No more chewed wires.

FC

Thanks, I think I may try a combo of this and dryer sheets stuffed in strategic locations.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A friend of mine that lives outside of town here (where the packrats are a plague of destruction) uses Irish Spring soap. Leaves chunks in and around his vehicles and hasn't had a problem since.

Last edited by MERWIN; 10/16/18. Reason: typo
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mennon green aftershave, sprinkle a bit around, and leave the bottle open, ......they'll all disappear!

It was a old trapper told me this, specified it had to be the green aftershave, .....tried myself and have passed it on to others, .....always worked, ...don't know why!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Fuggin mice are all over around here.I buy some stuff at Fleet&Farm called Jaguar.It comes in a 5 gallon bucket of small packets with a red grain in it.That stuff kills mice,chipmunks,red squirrels.You have to make sure you only use it out side as when those little bastards die they really can stink a house up.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a marmot chew up some wires on the truck which resulted in an 18 mile hike out. In my sheds I put moth balls around to discourage the varmints, seems to help. The nastiest air freshener you can find was also recommended, those Christmas tree things. There has to be something that doesn't smell bad that should help maybe camphor oil?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by MERWIN
A friend of mine that lives outside of town here (where the packrats are a plague of destruction) uses Irish Spring soap. Leaves chunks in and around his vehicles and hasn't had a problem since.

I came across that recommendation during my search of the interweb for a solution.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I'm going to use some of them on my upcoming hunting trip and see what works.

Last edited by Driftboater; 10/16/18.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sure brings up a memory. I figured that if I parked my truck up at the cabin that I could drive my little car up there every weekend to go bow hunting. Not good because the mice put acorns into every recess they could find including the headliner. Pretty noisy turning a corner.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder if soaking cotton balls or splashing Hoppes #9 around or in the truck would work. Either way your truck would then smell wonderful!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MERWIN

^^^^ This
I buy the bulk pack of bars and cut them up in 1" squares. Works great around the house and garage.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We put dryer sheets inside the air filter box in our ATV's to repel mice. Last year I bought some things at the hardware store that looked like desiccant bags and smelled like peppermint. They worked too but after a while the bags break down and the filler spill out & I had to shop-vac it out.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

sumbitches.......

sticky pads to dispose of carcass............

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Well I strategically placed bounce dryer sheets in my truck and camper and did not have any pack or field mice issues throughout hunting season. Thanks for all of the suggestions/ recommendations.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Irish Spring Soap bars

Open the packages spread out as required

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They'd tear up truck wiring, build nests, get into feed, steal sockets and small tools.

Built this long box around a 120 Belisle. Works and other critters like cats can not reach in accidentally setting off the trap.

[Linked Image]

The hinged end door has a mouse hole like the one at the other end, only covered in hardware mesh. Also has a hook and eye to hold it shut. Pack rat comes in through the far end travels length of box to get the bait, it can also see out the end by the trap (covered with the hardware mesh).

[Linked Image]

Stabilized the arms of the trap with zip ties going around screws so the pack rats could not push and pull the trap around while eating the bait.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Squirrels did so much damage to the vehicle of one of my son's friends that the insurance company totalled it. He used to have a peace treaty with the ones living near the house on his 15 acres, but now it's war.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Irish spring soap works!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.