Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Kevin T
I have 5 WM bags and use the Terra most.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
Recommend a WM bag for a woman camping. Nothing too extreme.

My wife uses the Alpinlite and loves it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a SummerLite and it covers 80-90% of what I need a three season bag to do.

I like it a lot.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
C
I love my Sequoia. It’s been with me on several hunts and always kept me warm and cozy. I simply leave it unzipped for venting in temps above 25 degrees or so. Light and packable. Expensive yes but worth every penny.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad
Got my first WM bag in 1992. Between my wife and I we've had 7 total, and currently have 3. That's about as good an endorsement as I can give.

WM temp ratings are as accurate as any temp rating can be (there are so many variables that go into how individuals react to temps - which can change daily - its tough to be dogmatic).

Shells? Which one? They make something like three different ones. I've had all three, they're all great. All ours currently (an Alpinlite, Versalite, and Ultralite) have their lightest shell material. no issues. I've also had a Dryloft, original Goretex, and Microfiber shells. Full on Goretex is no longer available (for good reason). Hard to go wrong with Microfiber.

I always buy from Hermit's Hut as they offer free overfill... something I've always gotten.

https://hermitshut.com/collections/western-mountaineering/free-overfill

Also, would add, a -10F bag is really a bit too much for most fall hunting. It's a common mistake to get "too much bag" when starting out. Were I you, I'd get one with a temp rating between 5-15*F... as large a bag as you're considering it's a small matter to layer clothes in the bag.

Get the Sequoia model...

On the overfill? Is that something WM does at their factory or does Hermit's Hut? Just wondering what the process would be.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Western does the overfill at the time of mfg.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Brad, thanks for the info.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

I've had overfill in every bag I've bought since 1983, back when Marmot still made their stuff in the USA. They offered overfill as an option. When I switched to Western Mountaineering in 1992, I just continued the practice of ordering with overfill.

Here's what WM says about overfill:

Overfill adds additional fill to your bag. This increases the warmth of the bag by 3 to 5 degrees. It will improve warmth for active sleepers since moving during sleep can shift down. Overfill also improves loft duration. During extended use down becomes clumped with moisture, dirt, and oils. Overfill prevents this by adding more fluff.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Back when Marmot was in Grand Junction, Colorado where it started.

Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

I've had overfill in every bag I've bought since 1983, back when Marmot still made their stuff in the USA. They offered overfill as an option. When I switched to Western Mountaineering in 1992, I just continued the practice of ordering with overfill.

Here's what WM says about overfill:

Overfill adds additional fill to your bag. This increases the warmth of the bag by 3 to 5 degrees. It will improve warmth for active sleepers since moving during sleep can shift down. Overfill also improves loft duration. During extended use down becomes clumped with moisture, dirt, and oils. Overfill prevents this by adding more fluff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Yup. I still have some 1980's Marmot gear from Grand Junction...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We have 4 WM bags and 1 Feathered Friends. All are very true to temperature and quality is second to none.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Bean,

Marmot started in California, then moved to GJ for the cheaper labor and (of course) the sweet deal GJ gave them. When Marmot was bought out, the new company said they weren't liable to the agreement, closed down the manufacturing part (that's what was located in GJ) and began the outsourcing to Asia.

I have never bought a Marmot item since.

Feel the same way about Osprey, too.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Owl
Holy bat guano Batman.... These ain't cheap !

[Linked Image]

Yeah. I try to buy American whenever I can, but WM prices have hit the Over-The-Top level. I bought an Antelope w/overfill and Gore-Tex shell in the early 90's and loved it. By my mid 40's I had "outgrown" it blush The bag was already a bit tight for me at 6-1 and 185, but another 10 lbs in middle age made the bag too tight.

I messed around with Big Agnes and other bags for a while, tried a friends Kuiu bag and liked it. When the Kuiu 0 degree bag come up on sale a couple years ago I bought it. I'm liking it. It may not be quite in the same league as WM, but it's very much a quality bag and -literally--half the cost of the WM bag I was considering.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They’re nice, I have a long versalite I bought used. Great sleeping bag.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an Antelope and Megalite, Alpinlite for my wife. The Antelope has the early gen microfiber shell (newer version is smaller denier ie lighter) that breathes well but is very water resistant. I tested it after sealing the seams by weighing before and after then leaving it outside in a light rain for an hour and half, long enough for water to pool in the depressions. Brought it in, wiped off excess water with a towel and the wt. gain was maybe an ounce and I couldn't find any wetness inside the bag and the loft appeared to be as before soaking. Unless you plan on bivying in wet weather without any cover for the bag I'd stay away from the Goretex. Regardless of marketing IMO it doesn't "breathe" as well as they say and may actually trap perspiration inside the bag in frigid temps.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SBTCO
I have an Antelope and Megalite, Alpinlite for my wife. The Antelope has the early gen microfiber shell (newer version is smaller denier ie lighter) that breathes well but is very water resistant. I tested it after sealing the seams by weighing before and after then leaving it outside in a light rain for an hour and half, long enough for water to pool in the depressions. Brought it in, wiped off excess water with a towel and the wt. gain was maybe an ounce and I couldn't find any wetness inside the bag and the loft appeared to be as before soaking. Unless you plan on bivying in wet weather without any cover for the bag I'd stay away from the Goretex. Regardless of marketing IMO it doesn't "breathe" as well as they say and may actually trap perspiration inside the bag in frigid temps.

Yes, my early Gore-Tex Antelope did just that. It was great for January backcountry ski trips, not as good for wet stretches of weather archery hunting in September.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kodiak with overfill. Love the extra shoulder room (67 inches in long).

I also have a Feathered Friends Ibis with overfill. 64 inches is a bit snug around the shoulders, but I still use the crap out of it, often unzipped as a quilt.

Lots to like about both brands. I'd buy either again if the bag fit my needs and my shoulders. Both of these have been with me 20 years plus.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I also had the Antelope, with GWS(?) Gore Water Stop? A little too tight in the shoulders and also felt that at times it seemed the bag was holding moisture in. Just seemed to have a clammy feeling to it.

Went to the Kodiak,,,,,no GWS and love that bag.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,302
Posts18,449,071
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.