-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an Australian ridgeback who wants to kill all the rabbits and squirrels in the yard. How do I stop her?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's in the breed's nature to a large extent so you will have a bit of a battle as it will be an on going process to some degree.

I've had the best luck and most consistent success using an electronic collar. Set the dog up to chase the animal and then shock it on the highest continuous setting until the dog ceases to chase. DO NOT say a word, let the dog think the quarry is causing the pain rather than you. If you say a thing the dog will realize you are causing the pain and then only commit the desired act when you are present. Continue to do the excessive until the dog ignores the animal.

Hopefully, the shock will be enough to deter the dog, some dogs are hard headed enough they will run through the shock. They are pretty much incorrigible and are almost impossible to stop chasing/killing things. My old wirehair was that way parade skunks, raccoons, and porcupines. I was able to break him of everything else but not them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Electric collar is your friend. It will allow you to stop almost anything if you can watch and use it properly.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
collar and "leave it" command

not easy to break

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years back I went out quail hunting with a neighbor. Dog went on point, neighbor waded in, and a cottontail headed down the fence row. Poor dog got a horrible thrashing. Five steps later a dozen quail broke out.

1Minute
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I have an Australian ridgeback who wants to kill all the rabbits and squirrels in the yard. How do I stop her?
Gosh I don't see a problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neither do I. Miss Lilli the ratter was hard wired to chase and kill anything that ran away from her, that's what she was bred for. I think trying to stop such a primal urge would've left her neurotic. Better she chew rabbits than furniture. Usually the rabbits would escape her yard before she could catch them. Never ran out of yard bunnies. They'd reproduce like - rabbits.

Squirrels were different, trees were a handy escape. One day after a chase and much barking Lilli retreated to the deck. Perry the squirrel apparently had enough and climbed out on a branch overhanging the deck just out of her reach and gave the little dog holy hell. Hilarious to watch, one frustrated little dog. After that Lilli pretty much ignored Perry if he was off the ground.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
All our weims were like that to begin with. Once they figured they could t catch them, they paid them no mind.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fubarguy

Shoot it.

Buy a new dog.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bunny hugger.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don’t,dogs breed to kill [bleep] will usually kill [bleep] whenever given a chance.

Or do what Clark suggest.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.