Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I found myself in the market for a lightweight, general purpose hunting rifle. After some positive experiences with Winchester M70 Featherweights, I decided to build one into such a rifle. The donor action is a late 90’s Classic Stainless Featherweight chambered in .308 Winchester. I managed to find a used McMillan Edge stock with a blind magazine inlet and sporter barrel channel to house the action.

The first step was to cut the stock to my correct LOP, chip out the old bedding (acraglass) and begin bedding the barrel channel and recoil lug. I also chose to fill the checkering on the stock

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All was well until I went to remove the action from the bedding. I had used some cut off action screws as locating pins to keep the action positioned properly in the stock while the bedding compound cured. While I remembered to wax the locating pins, i neglected to wax the inside of the pillars and didn’t think about the threads on the pins creating a mechanical lock with the inside of the pillar. Doh.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The cute little factory pillar decided to part ways with the lightweight edge filled McMillan.

Fortunately, I had a much more skookum Badger Ordnance pillar in the parts bin and set to work “inletting” the stock with the hand held Bridgeport.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I mixed up some Marine Tex with a handful of microballoons, installed the pillar and placed the action back in the stock for another attempt. When the time came to pull the action out I was left with...

[Linked Image]

Success! A nicely bedded recoil lug, solid pillar install and the magazine box actually ended up getting bedded in nicely too. A much needed redemption for the previous days negligence.

With the stock now back in a functional state, I turned to the cosmetics. I finished up the barrel channel reduction and free floated it to the tiny “shank” of the featherweight barrel. I also finished filling the checkering and the recessed area around the front action screw escutcheon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the body work complete, I hit the stock with a coat of woodland brown duracoat followed by matte black and snow grey specks.

[Linked Image]

After finishing the stock, I turned to the metalwork. The factory barrel was cut back to 20”, factory aluminum trigger guard sanded flat, NECG action screw heads ground flat, and everything refinished. I blasted the parts with 80 grit garnet, greased heavily with moly grease and buffed them out with 0000 steel wool. The factory trigger guard got the same treatment but I opted to leave the flats polished to a 400 grit finish.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I finished the rifle with an orange kick-eez “trap” recoil pad and a Leupold vx3-i 2.5-8x36 in talley lightweight mounts. The rifle is 6.66 pounds as pictured unloaded.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's an awesome build! Congrats on such a handy rifle and work as well.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice work.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks beretzs. Some final detail photos:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice! How's it shoot for you?

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Pretty good so far. I’ve only put 15 rounds through it but I’m liking it. I forgot to adjust the trigger so it was a little heavier than I prefer but it was shooting around a minute off of my tripod and pig saddle. Hoping to get it a little tighter with a trigger adjustment, some load development and a little more trigger time on my end.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jackalope,

That Rifle really scares me.

If I put one of those together... I think My days of buying and building would be over.

Right Weight, Good Caliber, Beautiful Rifle===> What to do after that?

Thanks for posting the pictures on Your build.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Great job, however a little scary. I'd add or subtract an ounce to get away from the 6.66 weight number.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice. Did the bolt pick up some color from the Moly? Only thing I do differently is use steel filings instead of micro balloons for anything around the recoil lug but shouldn't make any difference on the pillar as it shouldn't be a point of recoil contact. Did you use epoxy or Bondo for the checkering?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well done!

I've got a stable of 6.5s that would just love a little 308 to play with.

Beautiful gun. Thanks for sharing.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Jackalope,

That Rifle really scares me.

If I put one of those together... I think My days of buying and building would be over.

Right Weight, Good Caliber, Beautiful Rifle===> What to do after that?

Thanks for posting the pictures on Your build.

Jerry

It definitely feels right. Not sure I really “need” anything else either! Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by stevevan1
Great job, however a little scary. I'd add or subtract an ounce to get away from the 6.66 weight number.

I’m hoping to appease the spirits by filling some tags with it.

Originally Posted by Tejano
Very nice. Did the bolt pick up some color from the Moly? Only thing I do differently is use steel filings instead of micro balloons for anything around the recoil lug but shouldn't make any difference on the pillar as it shouldn't be a point of recoil contact. Did you use epoxy or Bondo for the checkering?

It seemed to darken it a little bit. I used epoxy to do the filling. Touched up the small spots with evercoat rage filler.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jackalope-

That turned out quite nicely - good work!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice work. Now you need to go put it on a fencepost and take some pictures of it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great photos and write up on a really nice looking rifle build. Well done and good luck with it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done. The attention to detail is excellent. Could you please explain why you removed the checkering - was it purely for aesthetic reasons?

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/20/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Both aesthetic and tactile. I just prefer a smooth stock altogether.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackalope
Both aesthetic and tactile. I just prefer a smooth stock altogether.

Fair enough. Let us know how it performs.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
6.66 pounds, i.e., "The Demon"! grin

Nice work!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.