Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13217164 10/19/18
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My neighbor showed me the winch he mounted on the bottom side of the roll bar in the center of his cab. It looked like a winch Harbor Freight sells. He uses it to pull deer up into the bed. He tilts the bed and drags the deer up in it. He also has a 4500# Super winch on the front.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guessing we have 20+ of the 2500 lb winches from Harbor Freight at camp. 6 on the outdoor meat pole, 6 in the cooler and at least 9+ on 4 wheelers, Gators, Rangers, pickups, etc.. Some at least 10 years old and some bought this year. Have had minor problems with corrosion, batteries, etc... but considering the life they live (some outdoors all the time) they have done amazingly well. Never had a problem that could not be fixed and the oldest is still going strong. Have them mounted in the back of 4 pickups and we have a 6 foot wooden slide. Deer slide right up into the back. Same deal with Gators, etc.. Take them back to camp and pull them off the truck/UTV with the meatpole winches and when they are weighed, jaw bones pulled, rinsed out etc., they are then winched up in the cooler. Have you figured out we are a bunch of old guys yet? But they do work and if you watch, can be bought for $50 each.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Damn, y’all must have some huge whitetail if you need a winch to get it into the tilted bed of a UTV! I’m 70 yo and have never killed a whitetail I couldn’t load in a side by side.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jdollar, Assume you have had 3 back surgeries, 4 shoulder and 2 knee, like I have. If so, you have the right to belittle the way I load deer. Unless you have and until you do, you have no idea of what it takes for someone like me, so politely suggest you GFY!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jdollar
Damn, y’all must have some huge whitetail if you need a winch to get it into the tilted bed of a UTV! I’m 70 yo and have never killed a whitetail I couldn’t load in a side by side.

Sounds like you are the exception to the rule of men growing old: losing muscle mass, stamina, testosterone decreasing, etc.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

they are talking about whole deer ….not cut up ……...bob

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If I had a bigger machine than I do, I think the Warne Provantage 3500 or 4500 would get a hard look.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I'm 71 and have fused neck vertebra, arthritic shoulders and bad knees....I have learned to work smarter not harder. I use every advantage I can nowadays. I have a Rhino with a Superwinch 4500 on the front and a 2500 that I fit onto a welded bracket in the back of the roll cage and I can move it to another bracket on the front of my small trailer for loading elk.

Last edited by shootbrownelk; 10/26/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Superwinch 4500 with synthetic rope is the way to go for UTV's, I originally ran the Warn 3500 but it died on me about year or so after I bought the Rhino. Also, if you're going to run the synthetic rope I highly recommend using a hawse fairlead as well, it will save your rope from getting chaffed.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a Polaris ranger 1000, I’m trying to figure out how to mount a small winch for deer also,

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I'm 81 with a bad back and a screwed up shoulder and I'm not afraid that I use a Warn 3500 to pull a Deer or Pig up hill to my Pioneer. I also use a block and tackle to get them into the bed of it. I'm not to proud to admit the block and tackle really help and the winch really saves me from a uphill tug.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Guy I shoot with has a winch mounted to the front bed wall of his pickup. Tommy John Surgery and a bad rotator cuff, I can understand why. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Jdollar, Assume you have had 3 back surgeries, 4 shoulder and 2 knee, like I have. If so, you have the right to belittle the way I load deer. Unless you have and until you do, you have no idea of what it takes for someone like me, so politely suggest you GFY!

I wasn’t belittling anything. A gutted out whitetailaround here might weigh 125 lbs at most, probably less. A rope around his antlers and run around the roll cage gets his head and shoulders in the bed. The rest isn’t a chore after that. So, also politely, GFY TOO...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When you top 70, 125lb can be more than you can handle, especially if you have a bad shoulder, back, or something. If a winch makes it easier without danger of further hurting yourself, do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A $25 solution to get a deer in a UTV. They work fine when attached to the roll cage and then work to haul up the deer on a pole, tree , or tripod at home too if you don’t field dress/ gut it. Of course you can also spend a lot more for the electric version.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Spec...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1541816208&sr=8-1

Last edited by jdollar; 11/09/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are lots of different block and tackle hoists that will work. I have one of these old timer fence stretchers. I replaced the 1/2" rope years ago. This one is made to lock onto a wire. To use it for other purposes, I have a couple short chains for the hooks on both blocks. The big advantage with this one is that you can lock the rope. In the photo, you can see a tube on the top block. The running end comes out through it. To lock it, pull the rope away from the block to lift the tube and it locks the rope. To release it, pull the rope straight down which pulls the tube back to the release position.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wondered when someone was going to bring up multi roller pulleys? I am surprised that more people don't realize how easy it is to hoist a deer up using more than a single roller pulley. I carry a 2 and 3 roller small sailing pulley set in my pack and my deer go up into a tree away from the varmints so that I can cut them into pieces to pack them out. I never took physics in school and I don't know where all the weight goes, but it sure doesn't go into the rope that I'm pulling on.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're trading effort for distance. This is an oversimplification, but the more rollers you have, the more rope it takes to move them. A single pulley, like a snatch block for a winch, will use twice the rope of a straight pull but cut the load in half. A double pulley B&T, like the pic I posted, will require a lot more rope to move the block the same distance but with a corresponding reduction is effort. Each time you add a set of rollers, you add to the length of rope you pull through but reduce the effort even more.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Here my setup. Simple and cheap. Aluminum angle running lengthwise across back of bed. Boat winch.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rock Chuck, I always carry at least 50' of rope in my pack and that pulley set had a 12 point nicely up in a pine tree with only me pulling on it. Last year we had a pilot, an engineer, an emt and a plant manager at deer camp cutting meat and it was like an epiphany to every one of them when I showed them how easy it was to hoist up our four deer using multi roller pulleys.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.