Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Tundra -SR5 - 4wd - 227,000 miles - 4.7 V8

***I know next to nothing about vehicles besides how to change a tire and the oil. So bear with me. Any response is appreciated.

Problem: The last 2 years I've had a vibration coming from the read end at slow speeds, especially going uphill. I took the vehicle in twice to the dealership and to a local mechanic shop, to no avail. I occasionally have a popping or clanking sound coming from the rear but it's usually the vibration/rallting sound. Finally took it to a different mechanic and he called me back instantly to say that my rubber bearing on my drive shaft was worn out and needed to be replaced. So $250.00 later and i'm back on the road. Oddly, the issue seemed ok for a couple of days and now it's back to doing basically the same thing. It seems to be a little better going up hill but turning at slow speeds and backing up is still causing a clanking and vibrating sound. I have had axle leaks in the past but those have been fixed. Any suggetions on what the issue could be? Thanks!!!!

GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great model and vehicle.

Worn U-joint?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you had the leaks fixed, was it filled with a limited-slip differential fluid? How long ago was that? Is the slip joint greased regularly?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like you had the hangar bearing replaced in the driveline. I’m sure the mechanic would have noticed if the u-joints were bad.
The next step would be to pull the rear differential and have the bearings, limited slip and clearances checked. Labor intensive and probably expensive, but that is probably where the problem lies.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd say carrier bearing. You can crawl under the truck and grab the driveline. If it moves up / down side to side........it shouldn't. If not that my next guess would be pinion bearing. But if the rear end isn't howling at highway speeds then no.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brayirish
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Tundra -SR5 - 4wd - 227,000 miles - 4.7 V8

***I know next to nothing about vehicles besides how to change a tire and the oil. So bear with me. Any response is appreciated.

Problem: The last 2 years I've had a vibration coming from the read end at slow speeds, especially going uphill. I took the vehicle in twice to the dealership and to a local mechanic shop, to no avail. I occasionally have a popping or clanking sound coming from the rear but it's usually the vibration/rallting sound. Finally took it to a different mechanic and he called me back instantly to say that my rubber bearing on my drive shaft was worn out and needed to be replaced. So $250.00 later and i'm back on the road. Oddly, the issue seemed ok for a couple of days and now it's back to doing basically the same thing. It seems to be a little better going up hill but turning at slow speeds and backing up is still causing a clanking and vibrating sound. I have had axle leaks in the past but those have been fixed. Any suggetions on what the issue could be? Thanks!!!!

I would look at the rear u-joint on the driveshaft first. Check for play, or rust powder around the bearing cups. If that's ok, then likely inside the differential. Possible limited slip clutches or the spider gears.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just sold mine with a new frame courtesy Toyota. I had a few guys look at it because their frames rotted out, and unfortunately they were out of the extended warranty. So bad frames could leave complete junk yard rear axles available. One guy had under 100K and the frame could not pass inspection.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My guess would be a u-joint. Last time I was feeling the "vibration" I looked and couldn't see a bad u-joint, but it felt like it to me so I pulled the driveshaft and started replacing all the u-joints and sure enough I found the culprit.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 32 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,716
Posts18,457,094
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.