24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 10/22 TGT that I've hacked on quite a bit. Not shot it much lately, and last June I took it out gophering and was getting duds in Win PP and CCI. Well, dummy, I hadn't cleaned the firing pin since I'd field stripped it out of the box. So, it's all pretty now, I stoned the sides of the pin, put it away, shoot it a little. Haven't had a chance to hunt it again since then.
I am still not real happy with the strike marks on fired cases and I can feel some inconsistency in recoil, those tend to be group flyers...like the primer goop wasn't ignited firmly. Have any of you taken a stone to the firing pin tip, narrow it down a hair to concentrate the striking force a bit better?

Or, is this a hammer-spring kind of deal? The rifle is probably 20 years old.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'd make doubledamn sure the bolt is going completely into battery before screwing with the firing pin shape. There could be a ton of other things to check I am not thinking of, but of course a weak spring is always a possibility. I'm thinking that a gummed up extractor recess or something else might be keeping the bolt from closing just that last few thousandths of an inch, possibly keeping the hammer from striking the pin with all its might...just a thought, anyway. There's always the crazy stuff too...like checking to make sure the barrel wedge is tight. Ya never know.

There are some things you can do to a rimfire's firing pin to improve ignition, and I cannot find that information or I'd post a link. I believe it originated with Bill Calfee. It's something I'd be tempted to do but I'd get the rifle working right as designed and built before modifiying a thing.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Springs.

All of them.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PM coming

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Redneck had a good suggestion on firing pin travel, controlled by the pin slot. So I'm going to check what kind of protrusion I've got, if it's good then like Flave says, might be the hammer spring. As for crudness, I keep the bolt face and breech/extractor clean, clean, clean. Many Q tips have died.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update:

FINALLY had a chance to shoot, just quickly as I had some others to "sight in," and conditions were not perfect.

I buzzed out the limit-pin slot and put everything back together about a month ago. All I had time for was ten of each ":pet" ammo, CCI MiniMag HP and Win 42 PPs. There was some wind, variable. Pin strikes look a little better. No misfeeds or failures to extract. Groups were a little "wide" but the height variance was next to nothing, with everything landing in a half-inch horizontal stripe, no flyers to speak of. So that's encouraging. Hopefully will have another crack at shooting before we lose this nice bit of high-pressure sixties fall weather.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'd never begrudge a man who wants to do these things for himself but for there is an alternative solution for several different problems that bedevil some - not all - 10/22 bolts

http://www.ct-precision.com

These folks will not only fix the shape of your firing pin so it smacks your primers good but they'll tighten up your headspace - which on some 10/22s is excessive from the factory - and they'll put in a brand new extractor that actually holds the rim!

Worth every penny on the 10/22 bolt I sent them. Zero to hero.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those are all good fixes. I've already set back the barrel (and recut the slot), ground down the bolt face to 41 thousandths. Each was an improvement.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
People have also drilled the bolt and installed a pin crossways above the firing pin to keep it from "walking" up. I didn't check the link and haven't been to their site in years so I don't remember if ct-precision offers that or not.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I kind of wondered about that possibility of walking, but there's no evidence of that in the strike marks, I think the roll pin controls that and if it's of proper width, it's probably all good. So -- don't WIDEN the existing pin slot!

I sure hope I have a chance to really hunker down over that rifle in the next few days. I'd feel better knowing I'm good to go for next gopher season.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

N
N
I've reduced the width of 10/22 firing pins on a number of guns with good results. reducing the width without 'sharpening' the FP is important though.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bill Calfee's reccomended shape and strike.

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15043

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I had another shoot, really crawled the rifle, had good wind conditions. Wasn't a super-extended session, had other iron I wanted to warm up, but I liked the groups, their shape and size, with no misfeeds or hangfires and only one flyer.
Three different kinds of ammo, ten rounds each, Win 36s hp, CCI 36, Win PP 42s, no bore "conditioning." The last two shot to same POA, the 36 wins an inch below. Only one missed "head shot" at 50 yards, the rest were between the eyes.
Could see the shock wave all the way to the strike on paper so I was crawling well. I think I'm going to do one last little tweak to the pin tip as shown in dave284s suggested fix and NZs. Just a teeny bit. But thanks for the suggestions. they worked.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, winter came and would NOT go away, then spring chores took up all the weather windows. FINALLY got out for a shoot to see if the gunsmithing really worked or not.
First observation is, the pin strikes on fired cases look nice and sharp, well-defined depth, too.
Second, I shot my best group ever with this rifle using Win PP 42s from the red boxes. Last summer, I was having misfires and pronounced vertical stringing, which told me there was a problem to begin with. So, for five shots, at 50 yards I plugged a .242 with the only, and last, five PPs I had. I guess I need to go buy a couple more boxes.
My usual CCI Mini Mags now shoot normally again, in the rough 8s at 50 in round ten-shot groups.
So, if you start getting misfires and other weird juju, check your firing pin travel/function/depth. Might be you just need some solvent, or some strategic Dremel work and stoning is also on the agenda.
Again, thanks for the help. It's like having my shiny new rifle all over again.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What, only 20 years and it starts futzing up? What a piece of crap😜!

Good thread. Happy ending.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
259 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.