Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
KNOWING they closed at 9:00 and were 20 minutes from the house. Told them I needed rear pads and rotors for a Chevy Tahoe with DUAL piston calipers. No problem they said, come right over they said...

Now why am I sitting here with the right rotors and SINGLE piston pads...

Guess I'll find out when they open up in the morning.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because AutoZone sucks and so do the idiots that work there.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Needed a driver's side headlight for a 92 Ford. Called O'Reilly, they ordered it. It's in the next day. Get to the counter, he brings it out, theres a friggin picture on the box with the passenger side headlight marked as contents in box. I spin it around and said look they even drew you a picture and you still got it wrong! 50 miles round trip, got to do it again the next day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there are 2 options, you have a 90% chance being given the wrong one.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
This has happened in nearly every industry. In an effort to maximize profits the wise management types have put out open calls to anyone with a pulse to fill the job. They don't bother attempting to see if such individual has ANY scope of the actual work or product being made/sold, they are more concerned with what restroom their will use, can they sue if people cannot remember what gender they are that day, or whatever, other bullshit is being upheld. It's the same reason why home improvement stores no longer have any older guys who know what the fack one needs from the most basic explanation as well as how to get it done with the tools available. In my union there exists a clause for the retirement package that once retired the individual will not work 'in the trade', well about two decades ago they amended that rule to include working in any capacity that includes the common materials of our trade. So retired Master Electricians who've been dealing with electrical issues for 40+ years are no longer allowed to stock shelves, answer questions, or be engaged in sales of any department of any store that sells electrical equipment, devices or hardware. This means that the guy with the most knowledge on fixing a simple issue with your fan, breaker, outlet, or spa pump works in the paint or garden department if he wants something to do for 24 hours a week. It is my understanding that ALL of the major trade unions have adopted these policies, and that is why you can no longer go to any home improvement store with a non-functioning part, and a story to walking out with the plan and parts to fix it.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
NAPA always does a better job getting parts correct for me. AutoZone can't do anything correct!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
NAPA always does a better job getting parts correct for me. AutoZone can't do anything correct!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
KNOWING they closed at 9:00 and were 20 minutes from the house. Told them I needed rear pads and rotors for a Chevy Tahoe with DUAL piston calipers. No problem they said, come right over they said...

I have found the way to consistently get poor service is purposefully show up at a business at closing time. YMMV

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

I have found the way to consistently get poor service is purposefully show up at a business at closing time. YMMV

Earliest I could get there, got home from working out of town, tore it down and went to get the needed parts.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Earliest I could get there, got home from working out of town, tore it down and went to get the needed parts.

Yeah, been there, done that. Just hate showing up at closing time because I know those guys are just trying to get out the door, same as me at work when it's time to go.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Yeah, been there, done that. Just hate showing up at closing time because I know those guys are just trying to get out the door, same as me at work when it's time to go.

It's a pain from the employees view perhaps, if they're only getting paid until closing. I certainly understand not wanting to work past when you're being paid.

But from a customer's standpoint, as a business if you don't want folks coming in at 9:50 when you close at 10:00................................................. then don't f'n advertise "open until 10:00".

Or have your employees close/lock the door 10 minutes before "closing", open it open, closed is closed. Plain English, right?

I get grumpy about that crap, and if they're open, service should be the same any time there's a person at the counter.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad

It's a pain from the employees view perhaps, if they're only getting paid until closing. I certainly understand not wanting to work past when you're being paid.

But from a customer's standpoint, as a business if you don't want folks coming in at 9:50 when you close at 10:00................................................. then don't f'n advertise "open until 10:00".

Or have your employees close/lock the door 10 minutes before "closing", open it open, closed is closed. Plain English, right?

I get grumpy about that crap, and if they're open, service should be the same any time there's a person at the counter.

Geno

Most advertise close at 10. Dont bring me 20 minutes worth of work 1 minute before we close. I get grumpy about that crap. If we close at 10, you should plan to be out by 10.

I purposefully don't go shopping at closing time because I tend to limit my [bleep].

Where do you work? I might want to come visit at closing time, just to chat. smile

Mostly though, any job that deals with the public sucks, because too much of the public is nothing more than [bleep], even at closing time.

But, as i said before, I expect the worst customer service at closing time, so I avoid it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

Most advertise close at 10. Dont bring me 20 minutes worth of work 1 minute before we close. I get grumpy about that crap.

I purposefully don't go shopping at closing time because I tend to limit my [bleep].

Depending on the circumstances, as the OP mentioned, it can't be avoided.

If someone brings you 20 minutes of work 1 minute before closing time and it is a bother, then advertise "we accept work until 20 minutes before closing" or similar.

If you're an employee, then you should work it out with your boss. If you're the boss, then perhaps if someone brings you work (as in wants to buy something, contribute to your gross accounts) then maybe one should be grateful for the business?

As I mentioned, Open 'till 10, written in plain English, to me means Open 'till 10.............................not 9:50..

I don't believe I'm an [bleep] for coming to shop/do business during "open" hours...................your opinion might differ...............oh well.

Geno

PS, I'm retired, so there is no closing time..................until the eyes close that is grin

PPS, I had one retail/customer service job in my life, right after HS............I found out within a few months that I'm not suited for it. shocked

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/19/18.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may not think you're an [bleep], but everyone in that store does. As long as you're happy with the quality of work you get at closing by people pissed to stay late, than have at it. I just choose not to. I'd rather be the guy waiting at the door for them to open. They don't like that either.

As someone who works 12hr days, I'd much rather be busy right off the bat than stay late for free. I try to remember that when I deal with others as well.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
...than stay late for free.

Am I the only one who is more than happy to stay late to help customers or projects get completed before I leave for the day..? I love helping people and getting their problems solved before I leave. What is this 'for free' sheit? If one is staying late they deserved to be paid, and luckily in this country we expect to earn 50% more for any hours over the scheduled 8 or shift for the day. I'm more than happy to help a customer who brings me a problem right before the end of shift for an extra two hours fixing something that they want completed that day. If the employer says no OT, then I politely tell the customer that while I would like to help them today, that I am not allowed to go over my allotted shift, and that I would take care of the problem the next day.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You may not think you're an [bleep], but everyone in that store does. As long as you're happy with the quality of work you get at closing by people pissed to stay late, than have at it. I just choose not to. I'd rather be the guy waiting at the door for them to open. They don't like that either.

As someone who works 12hr days, I'd much rather be busy right off the bat than stay late for free. I try to remember that when I deal with others as well.

Kodiak,

you should be paid for the time you work............not stay late for free.

And others should not stay late for free either.

But that's between them and their bosses. Not the customer's responsibility.

Customer can only go by the information given on the door............open 'till 10, again to me, means open 'till 10.

And the customer has every right to expect the same service then as at 9:00........................they may not get it but they have every right to expect it.

As the OP and I mentioned, sometimes the last minute deal can't be avoided easily, or it would be a major inconvenience to have to return in the morning, if it was at all possible. I live 15 miles outside of our "town", and 2 hrs from the bigger town. If I was up there for other stuff and stopped on the way home at 9:50 for parts to finish up a job the next day, I'd like to know that wasn't an issue at a store that says "Open 'till 10". Would be a 4 hr inconvenience if I have to go back the next day. Wouldn't be such a big deal if I lived down the street from the store I guess.

I do my best to have others think well of me, but sometimes if I'm following the rules as written, ( open 'till 10) and they don't like the rules (for whatever reason) I can't help what they think of me.

Geno

PS I was a bit upset the other day because I stopped at a bakery with a flashing neon "Open" sign in the window, which to me means "Open
". After making a U turn to get into their parking lot, pulling up directly in front of the window with the sign, getting out and trying the door, then realizing the paper hanging sign (NOT visible from the street) had been turned to closed I discovered I was SOL. Should i get back there again in the future (2 hr drive away) when they're open, I'll likely bring it to their attention. In a nice manner of course. Hopefully it was just an oversight.

In it is contentment

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am with the "Open" is "Open" side of this discussion. Pumped Ethyl in High School. (Remember full service gas stations?) Open till 10pm on Friday and Saturday nights. Have been at the pumps until 12 midnight in the pouring rain because I had a steady line of cars lining up at the pumps after everyone else was Closed. Was taught to not turn away paying customers.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some of you people sound like the party of eight who show up five minutes before closing time at a restaurant and order a full meal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I do Rock Auto. go on line, pick your part. done.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Damn the bad luck!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,220
Posts18,466,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.