Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a new daypack/scout pack
Lightest possible but with a rigid frame. Just big enough to carry the essentials extra knife, few snacks, a little water and an extra jacket kind of load.
But want it to have a shelf I can strap a quarter or backstraps to for first load out where ill grab my big frame pack.
Have an older badlands with an arched frame that holds main panel of pack away from my back that I LOVE but is a heavy empty and lacks the shelf feature.

Last edited by 65Jeffrey; 10/20/18.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I used a Badlands 2200 for many years, two years ago an Eberlestock Mainframe with a small bag strapped to it. Ultimately they just weren't for me/my frame. I'm 5'10" about 165 - 170 lbs.

This year I switched to a Mystery Ranch Pintler. Awesome pack. I've used it this year so far for quite a bit of meat hauling. I probably won't bring my frame pack (the Eberlestock) again, the Pintler hauled meat better than the frame pack did. Something like the Mystery Ranch Mule is even smaller than the Pintler as a minimalist daypack option.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll check into those mystery ranch, thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Black Diamond or Mountain Hardwear.

Sierra Trading, Gear Exchange, Moosejaw, etc....great prices and sales.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
any particular models?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mystery ranch...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seek outside. I like my unaweep.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sounds like you’re describing the Mystery Ranch Pop-up- 18 or 28 liters, it’s a “daypack” that morphs into a hauler. Have trained with mine most of the summer with loads 35-75 lbs, very good concept that they executed very well

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have you considered hunting with your pack frame and attaching the other stuff in a small duffle or day pack? I did that 15 years ago and I'm thinking of going back to it, at least in semi open country where the shots are longer and the occasional squeak isn't going to scare game. Sometimes I used a CamelBak "non-bottle", a bladder with an insulated sleeve and tabs for attaching to something else, no shoulder harness, but most times I'd use a Badlands Reactor as my "bag" on the pack frame.

Back in the timber it is still hard to beat the old Badlands 2200. It doesn't stick up above my head and snag on trees 'n' stuff I'm going under the way the pack frame does.

The new 2200s seem to come with a meat shelf, soft, but well attached, that can be lashed to the pack once loaded. For deer, with my older 2200, I gut / skin / quarter, load the quarters in small custom meat sacks which I hang from tree limbs to cool and air while I work on the rest of the carcass, then load them all into a single elk quarter bag to keep them sort of contained, and lash that to the pack for the haul out. Works so well it's almost cheating.

I'm thinking about replacing my old 2200 with a newer one since they've added some features. Also looking at the Clutch .. replacement for the old 2800.

Yes, these are heavier packs, feel heavy held at arms length, but they fit me so well the weight disappears when I put them on .. more like a piece of clothing than a day pack.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kuiu Venture 2300 is a great pack

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mtwarden
sounds like you’re describing the Mystery Ranch Pop-up- 18 or 28 liters, it’s a “daypack” that morphs into a hauler. Have trained with mine most of the summer with loads 35-75 lbs, very good concept that they executed very well

I'm quite happy with my Pop-Up 28!

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Seek outside packs are lightweight and have frame extensions that can be added when the load gets heavy.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
look at the 1700 and 1800 daypacks from stone glacier.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I have been using a Pop-up 28 myself and am really impressed with its capabilities.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is my wife's 2300 Kuiu Venture

So far its been a great day pack but doesn't have much room for a spotter in a zippered spot.

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pop up looks promising, gotta find a retailer where i can try one on now!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That looks nice, think you could get 4 quarters from a whitetail into/on it?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noKnees
That looks nice, think you could get 4 quarters from a whitetail into/on it?

Tough to get 4 whitetail quarters in/on ANY ***day pack***...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
? Works ok with my Badlands 2200. All 4 quarters, backstraps, etc.

Here be dragons ...
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by T_O_M
? Works ok with my Badlands 2200. All 4 quarters, backstraps, etc.

That's what I am using too. It works well, but the badlands is a heavy tank, plus mine is getting pretty beat up

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am a Kifaru slut, but there's nothing wrong with Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Exo and the others.

Personally, I like my main pack for a daypack too. Recently for me that would by a Kifaru Reckoning with the duplex frame. I just cinch all the straps tight to suck everything in, and it all compresses to about the size of any other daypack.
I too usually try to get a load of meat out on the first trip out instead of going back to camp empty to get a pack more suited to carrying meat.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by BluMtn

I have been using a Pop-up 28 myself and am really impressed with its capabilities.

Thanks for this tip fellas I’m gonna check this out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pop-up and the Mule both look really good to me....think I'm leaning more towards the Mule. Interesting.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's a seriously smart design.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the OP. Not to denigrate any opinions provided by others in this thread, you would be hard pressed to find one to meet your needs that is much better than Seek Outside.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I frequently use my seek outside pack without the main bag. I just use the talon bag and the top lid and they carry everything I need for a day hunt in the cold and rain (rain gear, puffy, game bags etc). Then when I shoot a deer I cut him up, put him in game bags, use the lid and talon to hold the game bags onto the frame, and carry him out all at once. So basically a day pack where you can carry 150 pounds if need be. Patrick

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Also I'll add that I recently used a Stone Glacier minimalist pack the same way, and it worked well too. It was more compact as a daypack but it did not carry a heavy load (1/4 of a BIG elk) nearly as well as the Seek Outside has in the past. Patrick

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Packs with nice high frame height may be a pain in the neck (quite literally) when you're trying to spot for game from prone, and can just generally be in the way when trying to bust brush - even if the pack is cinched down on the frame. The really nice thing about the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up pack is the frame is out of the way until it's time to pack out game. Additionally, the Pop-Up does not interfere with drawing a bow, fwiw.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bout like boots or clothes, everyone is built a little different likes different things etc... I’d try as many as I could before I dropped the coin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the idea of the pop up. I currently use an X2 and have hauled a couple elk with it But it's heavy as a hunting pack and only decent with 60 lb of meat in it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was out with my Popup yesterday, didn’t get to harvest anything, but did find myself in a lot of dense timber- with a full frame pack would have been a a pita (while making more noise too). I have ~ 20 lbs in it with extra clothing, emergency shelter bits, food and water, etc and couldn’t really tell I even had anything on my back - very comfy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The pop up 28 is a viable option. I did a half a mule deer
Ana a spike elk solo with it so far pictures in the link below. No idea how to place them in a thread.
Pop up working

Last edited by 175rltw; 10/26/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The SO Evolution (possibly the Revolution, as well?) has removable frame extensions. I have the extensions out for general use, and carry them with me and can install them in a couple of minutes for meat hauling.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I love my Seek Outside Peregine. It cinches down to a nice size for a day pack and can haul more than you can carry comfortably. The peregrine is also great for a three to four day backpack. The ability to seperate the pack from the frame and carry a load in between them is golden.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Shape of the frame , and how clean it is has a lot to do with catching on brush. A lot of attachments, or straps loose all over and ya you will catch on stuff

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my KUIU icon pro. The 1850 bag is the one I use the most. It is about perfect for what you’re describing. I’ve done multiple day trips with the 3200 bag, but it is was tight. I’d say the 3200 would be good for cold weather day hunting or one or two early season nights. I bought a 5200 bag off the classifieds here and it is the real deal for going several nights.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stone Glacier Krux EVO frame with Access, Serac, or Approach bag. From 3-3.5 lbs. and can haul upwards of 150 lbs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Ana a spike elk solo with it so far pictures in the link below. No idea how to place them in a thread.
Pop up working

Would the Pop Up 28 be a daypack you want to use as an EDC for work and commuting?

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd also recommend one of the stone glacier packs, I've been very happy with mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m using it for everything other than an overnight backpacking hunt now. It doesn’t smell like a new car anymore but I don’t mind. It’s really highly functional.

So yes I carrry it everyday and have used it as a carry on 3 times. The bag may or not work for you for EDC but the frame hasn’t been a negative at any point in that role.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Badlands 2200 in "Earth" is on sale at Midway for $165

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Check out the Seek Outside Peregrine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Pop up working

Would the Pop Up 28 be a daypack you want to use as an EDC for work and commuting?

I'd say no- too heavy, too bulky with the frame and larger hip belt for a commuting bag- I've looked mine over and couldn't find a way to separate the pack- the load shelf is sewn to the frame and the bag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bag comes off the frame. I sewed myself a straight up alice style bag for mine with an integral load sling that I like but I need longer compression straps on. I absolutely understand the sentiment that it’s too bulky with the frame, but I haven’t been bothered. And It doesn’t get a second glance by tsa or boarding agents

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bag comes off the frame. I sewed myself a straight up alice style bag for mine with an integral load sling that I like but I need longer compression straps on. I absolutely understand the sentiment that it’s too bulky with the frame, but I haven’t been bothered. And It doesn’t get a second glance by tsa or boarding agents

you're right, I see now that the load shelf can be removed from the frame- unfortunately you still have no shoulder straps and the load shelf is now hanging off the bag

I wonder if it's possible to rig up some light shoulder straps? maybe the load shelf could hooked to the bag and serve as a beaver tail of sorts?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The frame and harness / belt only weigh 3lb4oz. I’ve had mine since the week they became available- and I haven’t used my sweet pea since- but even that pack might be more than you want to deal with as an edc/commuting- but it was my favorite. Now I’m happy with this enough to have used it all time- I don’t know. But for the guys wondering. The frame and all only weighs 3lb4oz and provides some real capability over anything else I’ve seen that’s a daypack.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tkinak
The Badlands 2200 in "Earth" is on sale at Midway for $165

Been looking at this on Midway for a week now. Anyone have any experience with it? Negatives?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am a Kifaru slut, but there's nothing wrong with Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Exo and the others.

Personally, I like my main pack for a daypack too. Recently for me that would by a Kifaru Reckoning with the duplex frame. I just cinch all the straps tight to suck everything in, and it all compresses to about the size of any other daypack.
I too usually try to get a load of meat out on the first trip out instead of going back to camp empty to get a pack more suited to carrying meat.

Agreed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The frame and harness / belt only weigh 3lb4oz. I’ve had mine since the week they became available- and I haven’t used my sweet pea since- but even that pack might be more than you want to deal with as an edc/commuting- but it was my favorite. Now I’m happy with this enough to have used it all time- I don’t know. But for the guys wondering. The frame and all only weighs 3lb4oz and provides some real capability over anything else I’ve seen that’s a daypack.

I’m ordering the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28. I just don’t see anything on the market that approaches this kind of versatility with this much comfort and durability.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 12/03/18.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Agreed.
Double agree and my Kifaru is closer to 20yrs old than 10. Just wish I had occasion to use it more...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I’m ordering the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28. I just don’t see anything on the market that approaches this kind of versatility with this much comfort and durability.

Yeah. It was time to replace my Badlands 2200. I was looking at the replacement for the 2800. This timely discussion of the Mystery Ranch Pop Up packs lead to a bit of research. I chose the Pop Up 18 though the 28 may be a better choice. Both look like good setups .. one thing I'm going to like is the ability to carry the pad I sit on coyote calling between the bag and frame rather than swinging and bouncing loose hung off my other packs by a caribiner. It's sitting in the corner waiting for me to have enough time to move my regular day to day wandering gear to it.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wondering if anyone has used Outdoorsman packs?

[video:flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=361&v=BnEjxxelwI0[/video]

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd recommend Stone Glacier as some have before.

I have four of their packs and really like them. Obviously! smile

Good people with good customer service too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been very happy with my Eberlestock Mainframe with a couple batwings zipped on. Almost infinite flexibility and a frame that you can carry serious weight with. The Buttbucket for your bow or scabbard for your rifle are excellent also.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have and like very much my Eberlestock X2. Almost purpose built zipper pockets for spotting scope and tripod, aluminum frame, great fit (though I’m 5’9”, it likely wouldn’t fit someone with a longer torso). It’s large enough, but it is not cumbersome when moving through brush. It is also capable of packing out an elk quarter, which is a big deal to me. No more wasted trips back to the truck to get the larger pack frame.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nearly all mine are Eberlestock, and their having a 20% off sale on their F1 Mainframe right now which is nice for someone with a tall upper torso.

Link

Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.