Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm heading out on a pheasant hunt in a couple of weeks and a few of the areas I'm thinking of trying require non-toxic shot. What shells do you guys like for roosters with non-toxic shot? I have both a 12ga and a 20ga, but would prefer to shoot the 20ga as I shoot it better.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd suggest the Kent Bismuth loads. I've been shooting bismuth for around 20 years now, and it works very well not just on upland birds but waterfowl and turkeys.

The recent Kent loads apparently have shot sized more to British standards than American, so would pick a shot size larger than you're used to using in lead. This isn't because bismuth doesn't kill well--in my experience there's no difference in killing power between lead and bismuth. Bismuth pellets are slightly lighter, but there are also more in an ounce of shot, so patterns are denser.

But British #6 shot is about the same size as American #7, so if you like using #6 lead shot on pheasants, you'd probably want to Kent's #5 bismuth loads, or even #4.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would second MD's recommend. And Kent has Bismouth for the 20.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you decide to go steel, I'd run #2 in a 12 gauge.

Kent Faststeel 20 gauge, #3, 7/8 ounce is the best load for the smaller gun.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had excellent luck with #4 steel on pheasants 30 years ago, while hunting a small river (really a creek) in central Montana, where it was common to jump both roosters and mallards. There weren't any commonly available non-toxics back then, so steel was it. I mostly used 3" 20-gauge ammo, and it knocked the snot out of both pheasants and ducks--but only out to about 30-35 yards. Beyond that killing power dropped off rapidly. Luckily, due to abundant cover along the winding creek, most shots were within that range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you guys for the suggestions!

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bought some Kent Bismuth. They aren't giving it away. 😳

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why most people around here shoot steel. #2 or bigger this time of year.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For the 12 ga I would use an ounce and a quarter of steel #2 going a nominal 1375-1450 fps and not look back. It is my primary duck load which I have been using for decades for both birds. It will do anything I can do with lead #5 and at least 98% of what lead #4 can do.

Steel #3 will do about 90% of what 2s will do but that missing 10% is on going away birds at 30+ yards which can be a pretty large number of birds at times.

For the 20 ga I would have to recommend something other than steel. Pellet count and velocity is just not there for me. I have used pretty much everything available and all but the long discontinued Federal tungsten/polymer and tungsten/iron loads worked better than steel. The Federal loads were short on payload which was my dislike for them. If you have to use steel I would go with Kent Fasteel in #3 or #2 or about any make of #2 steel with an ounce of shot. Either way, I would hope the dog is good at tracking and retrieving as one can see a fair number of cripples if conditions work against you.

I've used Kent, Winchester, Bismuth Cartridge Co., and reloads using bismuth shot successfully. As mentioned, it can run a bit small so I prefer #4 in this shot type as I am not a fan of #6 lead shot for most pheasant hunting.

Heavy Shot has worked well for me in the past as has the various tungsten/polymer loads like Kent Matrix. Federal's Heavy weight turkey loads have been very effective, I ran 19 roosters for 23 shells once I figured out the proper lead. They are pretty slow and I was hitting crossers a little too far back requiring a follow up shot. I would also use a rather open choke as they pattern tight and use #7 shot in a very heavy payload. The pellets have no trouble with penetration due to their weight so don't let that throw you.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pointer
Bought some Kent Bismuth. They aren't giving it away. 😳

That is for sure. Might have to try a box or two.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use 12g Black Cloud #4's or Kent FasSteel #4's. With the BC's you want to let the bird get a bit further away or you will turn it to burger though!
When I can find it, I have been using Kent Tungsten Matrix in my 20g. Would really like to try the Kent Bismuth loads but it is very hard to find in my area.
I stocked up on BC a couple of years ago when I found it on sale for roughly the same price as Winchester steel non-toxic loads. I also do a bunch of water-fowling, to be honest, I prefer to use non-toxic for pheasants due to them being found near wetlands and sloughs, at least around SE Alberta.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's awfully easy to just run steel #2 in 1 1/4 ounce loads for the entirety of duck and pheasant season. A #2 steel will penetrate a pheasant on a going away butt shot even to 45 yards.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kent Bismuth #5s worked well on roosters and a duck!! No more than I shoot in a year, I'll be more than happy to buy a couple boxes of these where non-toxic shot is needed. Just wish they made a 3" version...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bringing back an old topic . . . .

Anyone have any experience with the Hevi-Shot products - specifically Hevi-X or Hevi-Metal?

My understanding is that the shot size for Hevi-X is commensurate with the same size pellet in lead. For Hevi-Metal which is a 'duplex load', the shot size indicated on the box is the size of the STEEL shot, with the Hevi-Shot component being 2 shot sizes smaller - i.e. Steel 4s, Hevi-Shot 6s.

Been thinking about trying a box of Hevi-X and Hevi-Metal. Having been a fan of a 12ga, 2 3/4", 1 1/4oz load of #5 lead for years, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around 2 3/4" or 3" #4 Hevi-X and a 2 3/4" or 3" #2 Steel/#4 Hevi Shot load.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have not used Hevi-X but I have used one of two boxes of Hevi-Metal I was given on mallards while field hunting. IAs noted, it is a combination of the two shot types which I feel incorporates the worst of both shot types. I killed birds but no better than with a single shot type. They weren't any worse either but, knowing the composition, I was very careful to pick my shots so I did not overly stress the weakest link of the shell. They are not something I would spend money on.

My experience with the other than steel non-toxics has been that they are not needed for 12 ga unless there are extenuating circumstances. An ounce and an eighth or quarter of steel #2 at roughly 1400 fps has done everything I needed when hunting pheasants. #3 steel is not far behind but I have found it lacking a little on going away shots at moderate to longer range. Too many birds were retrieved still alive and I didn't appreciate digging pellets out of the meat. It is a large reason I upped my shot size choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Woodmaster,

Thanks for the comments. I'll more than likely shy away from the Heavy-Metal. However, I may still try a few rounds of Hevi-X. One of the guys I'm heading to SD with bought a box of 12ga, 3", 1 1/4oz, #4s and a box of 3" #4 20ga loads and offered to let me try a few. Other than that I'll stick to #2 or #3 steel.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tend to use Bismuth or "soft" Ballistic Products ITX on pheasants, where necessary, because they don't break teeth like steel, or other really hard shot. But have killed enough roosters with #3 and #4 steel to know it kills really well, even in 20-gauge loads, out to 40 yards or so. Which is about as far as most pheasant hunters kill roosters.....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kill greater Canadas and ducks over decoys with 1 1/4 oz of Bismuth #4 in front of 90 grains of FFG, also shot pheasants with it as well but often back the charge off to 1oz and 75 grains.
The top gun is used with brass cases, bottom is my muzzle loader of course!
[Linked Image]
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10/20/18.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.