Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Found an Interarms Mark X Mauser in 30-06 st a local gunshop. Asking price was $345 with a cheap Tasco scope in equally cheap mounts. Needless to say It's going to be coming home with me next week. Not worried about the scope or mounts I'll replace them soon. I don't know a lot about these rifles. The metal is a nicely polished deep blue and the stock is a nice but plain piece of walnut. Bluing is in excellent shape so is the bore
The stock has a few small dings nothing major. How did I do price wise.

Last edited by Fireboss; 10/19/18. Reason: Damn Auto correct
BP-B6

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You got s pretty good deal, I’ve owned them before. They are good rifles. Can the mounts, scope, and get some good mounts and a scope.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Fireboss,

Mark X's are essentially copies of FN Mauser commercial 98's. The actions usually (but not always) aren't as well-finished as FN's, but the metallurgy is fine, and the barrels usually shoot very well. Nice snag!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
MD,
what is your impression of the Zastava 98 labelled as M70?
I am eyeing one in 300 Win Mag for $350. At the price of a Ruger American is it worth a gamble as a user or maybe future build? As if I need another. lol.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grab it, and, if you don't like it, spin the barrel off and you have a nice Mauser action for another build!

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Exactly what I am thinking.

At $350, seems worth a gamble, but was unsure of the quality of metal and heat treat.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I Had one in a 30/06 and one in a more deluxe.375 H&H “express”. I currently own a “rebored” .35 Whelen. The express had the best finish of the 3, but all of them were accurate and reliable firearms. At $350, if the action and stock are in decent shape would be good bargain! I prefer the Mark X over some of the latest “3 lug wonders” whose actions are less smooth and “whippy” barrels are heat up a bit too fast to suit me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One of my most accurate rifles was a MarkX. It was chambered in .243 and I really liked it. The safety was a sharp annoying sob though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve seen 98 actions going for almost that much. At that price even if you throw a custom barrel on it, it’s a good deal.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I picked up a 375 mark x a while back and while it’s not pristine , the finish is good , it handles well for me , and puts 3 shots into one big tear with the right load . Feeds rounds left right upside down empty brass whatever , fast and slick as grease .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked for a Interarms Mark X Mauser for a few years hoping to do a build on, but never found one in the price range I was looking for. I think the cheapest I found was at a pawn shop in Arkansas about 10 years ago, and they wanted $500 for it, it was still new in the box though. I quit looking after a friend sold me a CZ24 he bought about 14 years ago, and then he shot it with corrosive ammo and never cleaned the barrel. I got it for $50 and he threw in a Mosin with it. Needless to say, they are both siting in a gun cabinet at my mother's house and not at my house in my gun safe. I think I see a future trip to go visit my mom and will bring a couple of guns back home with me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found they go for about the same as run-of-the-mill FNs on GB for the most part. Had a couple, including a Viscount with a trigger reminiscent of a Mosin-Nagant, and one of the nicer ones with the adjustable model. If I were in need of a Mauser, I'd consider them along with the others, based on condition, price, etc.

Some of the complete FN sporters and of course Brownings, have nicer stocks and such, but then every Mark X I've seen has a nice hinged floorplate, while FNs may have slide-off or crappy aluminum ones. My recently-acquired Husky FN has the slide-off, which I don't mind. It also had a crisp, but really heavy trigger, which now runs just under 4lbs with the help of a spring from a Wolffe 77/22 kit. The jury's still out on the beech stock.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the one I picked up here. Just a barreled action but after re-barreling it and getting a stock on it, it shoots lights out.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a interarms mark x in my safe. Its a 308 . Its a run of the mil with a wood stock. My dad gave it to me when he moved. Its accurate enough as I remember putting a scope on it and sighting it in for him twenty years ago. Its sort of heavy and built like a BRink sht house. Barrel is pretty thick. Action is not as smooth as I would hope. The wood stock feels good and fits nicely in my hand. I got other rifles I favor so this one will sit until I can
Figure out what to do with it. Dad used it as his deer stand rifle. I bet the rifle hasnt had 50 rounds through it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Barrelled actions were dumped on the Aussie market about 25 years ago in .375 H&H and .458 Winchester.

They clean up nice;ly but the Ramline stocks ours were housed in required some work. I broke 2 stocks in half during my .458 review.
With the range of replacement stocks available here in the US it would be a great buy at $350.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i picked up a mark x in 300 win mag for 260 bucks, I've already bought a 358 barrel blank, and I'll have my smith turn it into a 358 norma mag

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Mooshoo - I'll be watching for your follow-on post regarding your "break-in" of the .358 Norma! I always thought I wanted a .358 Norma, but haven't found a platform I really liked; your Mark X sounds like a great project. Good luck!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I built my semi custom on Zastava double-set-trigger action I bought new in-the-box. It was one of the last exported from Yugoslavia before the break up. It may be a urban legend, but I believe that they are made on FN Machinery, received as war reparations. I bought one in 308, to use the action to build a 7x57. It shot so well I kept it. I ended up trading it off after I bought a commercial FN 7x57. I wish I still had it. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bought one( Mark X) last week in 270 Win it was a Emdeko/ PO Ackley build rifle. EC Bishop walnut like new ,shoots nice MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found a NIB Mk X Mannlicher in 7x57 last week. Mine now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.