I once again agree with saddle sore.

I add pork butts. $1.20 a pound or so... about 12%

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I add 20% to our deer. Beef or pork is fine with us. That's the way we like burger. I add a little more pork sausage for our breakfast sausage. Last year about the time we were grinding Kroger had Boston butts for .99 a pound. We did 50/50 deer and butt for breakfast sausage. We really liked that too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't laugh please. I use a handful of oatmeal in my burgers be it elk or deer to let the meat stay together and keep them juicy on the grill.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I do 50/50 for all our wild game.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We just grind up the elk and cook it in coconut oil. Don't knock it. We do it with black bear, too. People that firmly disliked bear previously said it was the best wild game they ever tasted. Give it a try before you bbq me. :-)

The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have this before, but elk burgers (and deer and antelope) without fat will hold together nicely if you just let them cook a little before flipping them. The protein in lean meat binds well IF you let it, but most people who cook burgers flip them too often, apparently because that makes them believe their actively "cooking."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use 50/50 pork trim. Do 2/3 elk 1/3 pork trim. 50/50 trim is really cheap.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think to just buy fat to add.....

You are most likely getting older fat to begin with

And more cost per pound.

Versus fresh pork butt.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/25/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
I use 50/50 pork trim. Do 2/3 elk 1/3 pork trim. 50/50 trim is really cheap.

Isn't the whole point of eating elk is that it is lean? If i wanted a greasy burger I would buy Costco beef burger.

1/3 pork trim is artery clogging.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have this before, but elk burgers (and deer and antelope) without fat will hold together nicely if you just let them cook a little before flipping them. The protein in lean meat binds well IF you let it, but most people who cook burgers flip them too often, apparently because that makes them believe their actively "cooking."

grin

Yeah, if you not flipping'em a dozen times, you not "cooking"...

DF

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It is not greasy. We eat mostly wild game. Deer, Elk, Antelope, and Feral Pigs. When my Daughter went to College and had to eat Beef Hamburger it made her sick. Every time she came home she took back all the Deer and Elk Hamb she could. If we go somewhere for a Potluck I cant eat the Meatballs, Spagetti Etc. Cause it's to Greasy. Been doing it This way for 48 yrs. And my Dad before that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pork Butt Nutrition
BY ERICA KANNALL • OCT. 03, 2017
Pork butt, also known as Boston butt, actually comes from the shoulder of a pig, not its rear end. You can roast, barbecue, or shred this cut of meat to make pulled pork. Although it contains beneficial vitamins, minerals and protein, pork butt is also high in calories and fat. You'll want to eat this marbled meat in moderation to avoid health complications.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm picking up some great pointers here and flowing the thread closely, as I have never lived anywhere before where I had occasion to grind meat.

Any tips on methods to grind, an addition to the nature of the fat content? My brother is big on hand grinders, but I think that would pall pretty quickly. There are some nice powered ones at the outdoor shops like Cabela's or Midway, or at the source recommended by High Noon.

I''m thinking of just getting an meat grinder attachment for our heavy duty KitchenAid stand mixer . The KitchenAid brand accessories look like plastic and aren't apt to last, but the are a couple of aluminum or stainless attachments from other suppliers that should handle heavy work. Thoughts?

And regarding elk meat burgers falling apart, I now have one of those heavy cast iron Blackstone camping griddles, so there's no need for the typical grills where the burger can fall.

Another member [Owll?] brought a huge griddle to Armijo Springs this year to cook just bought everything, and it worked like a charm. It turned out that I never got to put mine to use. wink

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by callnum
Pork Butt Nutrition
BY ERICA KANNALL • OCT. 03, 2017
Pork butt, also known as Boston butt, actually comes from the shoulder of a pig, not its rear end. You can roast, barbecue, or shred this cut of meat to make pulled pork. Although it contains beneficial vitamins, minerals and protein, pork butt is also high in calories and fat. You'll want to eat this marbled meat in moderation to avoid health complications.

I'm not implying anything good or bad but I swear I've heard nearly that identical description to describe SPAM.
(I'm a fan of SPAM but it does not fit my dietary restrictions.)

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
My rule for grinding game meat is 10% beef fat for burgers and 30% pork fat for sausage.

Makes no sense to me to put pork, pork fat, or bacon in hamburger meat.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I guess I like my elk to taste, well, like elk.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Anjin,

We went to heavy-duty grinder about a dozen years ago. We used a hand-grinder for a long time, but we basically live on game meat and grinding 100-150 pounds of burger a year got time-consuming. Tried smaller electric grinders, and burned them out within a year or two.

We cook fatless elk (and deer, antelope, etc.) burgers on "open" griddles all the time, and have no problem with parts of them falling through. Just let the downside really brown, instead of simply turning tan.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I add in 5-10 % pork shoulder to my elk hamburger...pefect

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, deer or buffalo either, Wifey adds olive oil with her spices, seasonings and such when she's slapping out a pile of patties for the grill, they're always plenty juicy and never dry.

BTW, for all you that cook, I was informed the only REAL garlic salt was Lawrys with the green cap.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anjin, I have been using our Kitchen Aid grinder with the adaptive parts as you described. I have had the fortune of bringing home 19 elk over elk years and still use the same setup to grind up scraps into burger. I wouldn't consider adding pork fat to burger - I want to taste elk meat. Now when making brats, breakfast sausage and smoked salami, that is a different story.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.