Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No added fat here. I think it ruins the taste of wild meat. I guess I know how to make burgers on the grill, never had one fall apart.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Anjin
I'm picking up some great pointers here and flowing the thread closely, as I have never lived anywhere before where I had occasion to grind meat.

Any tips on methods to grind, an addition to the nature of the fat content? My brother is big on hand grinders, but I think that would pall pretty quickly. There are some nice powered ones at the outdoor shops like Cabela's or Midway, or at the source recommended by High Noon.

I''m thinking of just getting an meat grinder attachment for our heavy duty KitchenAid stand mixer . The KitchenAid brand accessories look like plastic and aren't apt to last, but the are a couple of aluminum or stainless attachments from other suppliers that should handle heavy work. Thoughts?

And regarding elk meat burgers falling apart, I now have one of those heavy cast iron Blackstone camping griddles, so there's no need for the typical grills where the burger can fall.

Another member [Owll?] brought a huge griddle to Armijo Springs this year to cook just bought everything, and it worked like a charm. It turned out that I never got to put mine to use. wink

Norm

Bought a Cabela's 1 hp grinder about 10 years ago. Expensive at the time, but it grinds 50 lbs of elk in about 15 minutes. It weighs 68 lbs. (A long time ago a machinist told me the best machines were the heaviest. He was right.) I make two passes, one in 10 mm and the next in either 7 mm for chili or 4 mm for burgers. Two grinds helps to spread the suet evenly also. I use between a 5 and 10% mixture, just buy a few pounds of frozen beef suet and mix it in while grinding. Also, a butcher told me not to trim off all the connective tissue, that it helps to bind the ground meat together. Seems to work well that way. I do trim all the elk fat off though. Hand grinders are worthless, especially with cartilage and silver skin. Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually have two deer and one elk to eat a year.

The meat is usually cut and wrapped by me or canned.

The shoulder blades and leg bones are boiled to with vegetables and spices to make broth 4 canning and cooking later. I can the broth alone also. I use no salt.......try buying that at the store!

The scraps and some other muscle groups are put in gallon freezer bags and I do not take this frozen meat to the butcher until February, that way I know it is only my meat getting processed. I buy pork butt at about 15% of the weight. I figure about 9 pounds per gallon freezer bag.

I buy pork butts at under 1.75 a pound.

It costs about 70 cents a pound for the butcher to grind, package and flash freeze the burger.

I most likely do about 75 to 100 pounds a year at most.

So at let's say $70 a year I cannot justify investing or monkeying around with grinding my own.

The trick is the butchers grinder can handle sinew etc and partially frozen product so it never gets truly thawed or warmed up when processed. It is absolutely delicious.

As Emeril Lagasse says " Pork Fat Rules!"

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/28/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread reminds me of when Lewis and Clark were on the west coast and literally dying to have some fat in their diet. Eating elk all the time was killing them, so when they would catch salmon, the fat was the first thing consumed. They would have ground it into their elk if possible, I am sure...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is perhaps the most perceptive post on the internet I have read.

Thanks NEMO

AWESOMENESS!

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/30/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Different folks, different strokes.
Do pure elk burger.
You can always add some beef or pork or what ever combo you want.
Experiment, keep track/ratio and see what you like for next years harvest.
If you make a whole batch and you don’t like it.... you’re SOL

Last edited by Dre; 11/02/18.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am in the leave it in larger cuts for freezing and grind as you need to camp. Partially thawed meat grinds better. Fat doesn't store well. Try to use Elk/Deer only whenever it will work for the recipe. If I add fat I like to add sirloin fat trimmings if the butcher will save some and for grilling some bacon ends but mostly just olive oil works for most cooking methods. Unlike Lewis and Cark there is plenty of fat in my diet already. I prefer grass fed beef to the really marbled cuts.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't use any.Fat is the first thing that t urns rancid in the freezer. Use a little olive oil when cooking

This with my wild game- musk ox excluded when I can get it gifted to me. That has enough natural fat in it. And it doesn't make the freezer anyway in the amounts I've gotten.

I have always found it ironic that the butchers charge for a waste product added to perfectly good game meat.

Last edited by las; 11/04/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I finished grinding my elk yesterday, 50 pounds,no fat. Grilled up some burger last evening and it stayed together nicely. As Mule Deer states, let it cook a little before you flip i.
It's been a long long time since I have eaten any beef.I eat mostly deer ,antelope, elk and maybe a little pork. To me, manyhow adding beef or pork fat to good venison is like adding water or coke cola to a good bourbon

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Most people likely have too much fat (good or bad) in their diet. And calories. There are exceptions.

Many moons ago I discovered eating freeze dried crud on a backpack hunt turned my legs to water after a couple days. I took to carrying a couple cubes of butter and adding a couple tablespoons to each sawdust meal. Flavor and fat content. Win -win.

On another occasion, I was working USFS trail crew, 10 on - 4 off.- Hard manual labor. We were eating OK, but come the 4 day weekend, Jim and I went moose hunting (we had been clearing trail after hours, for a week in addition to our 8 hour trail work day) 5 miles up this side valley.

Jim shot a moose first day, and on our second day, headed 10 miles out on foot to get horses (part of the deal for clearing the guide's trail) while I continued hunting. By noon I had rubber legs. which I then directed to the gut pile where I cut out a fist sized chunk of stomach fat, took it back to camp, broiled and ate it.

End of rubber legs.

The three major rules of extended heavy-duty backpacking are :

1. Take care of your feet

2. Sleep warm, (preferably dry also, but at least warm!)

3. Get enough calories. Usually not a problem for couch potatoe-ing..... smile noun into verb!

Assuming no injury, everything else on a 10 day to 2 week backpack trip is manageable, no matter how miserable it gets. Or get smart and buy, borrow, or steal horses.... smile

I have to admit tho, I tend to use butter more than olive oil when cooking, except when frying burrger from game animals. In that case, I mix olive oil into the meat, then fry it in butter..... smile. Grilling I use olive oil only, if anything.

Last edited by las; 11/05/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't use any.Fat is the first thing that t urns rancid in the freezer. Use a little olive oil when cooking

AMEN to never adding fat. if I'm gonna do burgers on the grill I'll add a little cheap breakfast sausage to make them stick together. they turn out amazing and my meat lasts a lot longer in the freezer.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Reminds me of the profound words of Bear Claw Chris Lapp, in Jeremiah Johnson:

“Can’t figure people down there, eating hog when they could feed on elk!”

Last edited by riverdog; 11/05/18.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I could never understand why anyone would contiminate good fresh wild meat with meat that was raised in cattle pens and fed chemicals.. the chemicals end up in the fat and ruins pure meat..

I also don't hang my meat up and let it rot for a week before I process it,, the fresher the better it tastes......Flame on..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We don't add fat to any of our burger meat - antelope, deer or elk. Would kind of defeat the purpose IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not at all sure there is a right or wrong way to do this.....simply a matter of what fits your likes.

I recently made 28 pounds of breakfast sausage by adding 15 % beef tallow. I then used a commercially available spice mix but at 1.5 times the recommended usage.....the stuff is great. It's going to make a lot of "burger" dishes. I especially like elk chili.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Don't laugh please. I use a handful of oatmeal in my burgers be it elk or deer to let the meat stay together and keep them juicy on the grill.

Works in meatloaf, too. So does grated carrot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oatmeal is a good binder for lean beef burger on the grill as well. Nothing wrong with that.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I make burgers with wild game same as I do with beef. Egg bread crumbs and garlic and onion salt and pepper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Azar
Oatmeal is a good binder for lean beef burger on the grill as well. Nothing wrong with that.

So is beef fat;)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm not at all sure there is a right or wrong way to do this.....simply a matter of what fits your likes.

Oh yes there is an absolute right way and wrong way to eat elk. The taste YOU prefer does not matter. Several of us have made that clear. If you don't eat it the way they like the taste then you are doing it wrong and committing sacrilege against a noble beast.

BTW, if you add sugar to ground cocoa, you are ruining the natural taste of chocolate and are a defective human being. mad Ditto if you ever put ANYTHING in coffee... laugh

FWIW re elk, the best I've ever tasted was a Roosevelt from Oregon that had 15% beef fat added. I think it just happened to be an exceptionally tasty elk. I've done 10% beef and about that much pork and up to 20% pork one time. It was all good. Like many, we prefer nothing added for ground elk or deer that goes into pastas, tacos, chili, etc. We usually estimate a scant 10% pork fat on the rest. Totally lean elk or deer makes the absolute BEST chili and I like to grind it a bit coarse for chili.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.