Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by roundoak
A lot of deer camps in Northern Wisconsin have closed, including the one my Grandad and his sons owned since the 1930s. The main reason is the deer herd has been significantly reduced by hard winters, state and federal forestry practices, wolves and bears.

Very true words ROundoak. I was in Price co this weekend and see that the deer numbers are looking up. My son Chas and I walked a good 3 miles Saturday grouse hunting. To our amazement my son went on a 2 mile walk , shot at a grouse and saw 4 deer. In the 3 mile walk we came across 2 buck rubs and a scrape. People find this hard to believe but that is a vast improvement from a few yrs ago . The state wont cut a single tree in the Flambeau River State Forest but the county is cutting everything and the deer numbers have improved despite having snow on most of the ground on April 25 this year. Although it is not fair to just blame the bear , wolves and hard winters . You forgot poachers too. Here is my deer camp that had 8 guys in it in 1989. Now it is down to Chas and I. West side of Price co. Wis. is tough country but I like it. We also catch fish there too. I bought the 7 ac. with 300' South Fork Flambeau River frontage for $3,000. When I told my dad he threw a fit till he saw the land. [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by ihookem; 10/28/18.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good looking camp and that river frontage is definitely a plus.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ihookem, that place is great, so glad you’ve got it!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great place you have hook!

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
K O O L camp there Ihook.

Clearcuts ‘seem’ damning to hunting AT FIRST but the REgrowth and NEW growth where it was NOT before is heaven for deer.
It depends on locale and the areas.natural vegetation but in a couple of years the amount of natural food AND cover will host and hide (protect)
deer & other wildlife.

Stay with it and WATCH. Good Luck to you & your family.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A lot of deer camps in Northern Wisconsin have closed, including the one my Grandad and his sons owned since the 1930s. The main reason is the deer herd has been significantly reduced by hard winters, state and federal forestry practices, wolves and bears.

Sad to hear about the deer herd in WI. Here in LA, we had very few deer in the 60's I was told. I was just a little whippersnapper at the time. But I remember daddy and papaw telling about the introducing some Wisconsin "blue deer" around here. Every time someone would kill a deer with a grayish coat and a nice rack, people would go on and on about it being one of those "blue deer" from Wisconsin. Very sad now to hear the deer herd is struggling. Probably wouldn't want any of our little ol' deer from here these days, but I would be willing to send some back to y'all if you want them. Right now we have plenty it seems.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jwall
K O O L camp there Ihook.

Clearcuts ‘seem’ damning to hunting AT FIRST but the REgrowth and NEW growth where it was NOT before is heaven for deer.
It depends on locale and the areas.natural vegetation but in a couple of years the amount of natural food AND cover will host and hide (protect)
deer & other wildlife.

Stay with it and WATCH. Good Luck to you & your family.

Jerry

We also hunt the clear cuts in northern WI. However, the country is quite a bit different than where iHookem hunts. We are NW WI, sand country. The cuts regrow in red pine and scrubby oak. Not a lot for acorns as far as I can tell. But, the cuts grow up in waist high grasses and tag alder/dog wood type brush before the red pines get big enough to matter much.

But IHookem is right. Most of the logging is done county specific. The state lays off the logging on their land as do most of the timber companies by us because they’re not ready to cut...too young. And of course on the National forest it’s a miracle if something gets logged.

I’m not sure if we are just in a pocket of deer or just lucky, but, we have no problem seeing deer at most hours of the day. Not a lot of big WI bucks of lore, but some damn fine ones. We have nothing huge on camera. I would say the biggest is 110-120”. It’s public land so, those don’t get a pass by many guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Sad to hear about the deer herd in WI. Here in LA, we had very few deer in the 60's I was told. I was just a little whippersnapper at the time. But I remember daddy and papaw telling about the introducing some Wisconsin "blue deer" around here. Every time someone would kill a deer with a grayish coat and a nice rack, people would go on and on about it being one of those "blue deer" from Wisconsin. Very sad now to hear the deer herd is struggling. Probably wouldn't want any of our little ol' deer from here these days, but I would be willing to send some back to y'all if you want them. Right now we have plenty it seems.

It is necessary to be more specific about "Northern Wisconsin" of which I speak and that is basically north of HW 29. Central and Southern farmland has good or high populations.

Here is a "blue deer" that I shot a few years ago in a river bottom where typically I find that color phase.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
one of my favs from inside our camp, mid deer season.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That needs a "like" button.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's a beautiful blue one, Sir. Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wldthg
[Linked Image]
This is our second camp ( Stone Camp--- built in the 1930's )
Red Camp is our First.
[Linked Image]
Both camps surrounded by basically thousands of acres of hardwoods -- 270 acres of private hunting in New York attached to 900 acres public Hunting in NY and attached to 2000 acres public hunting in Vermont. Both camps are next to each other at the end of a dead end hollow.
The 1 acre of land my father bought in 1954 for $40 to build it, included forever hunting and restricted woodcutting rights on the remaining 100+ acres of woods that the 1 acre parcel was subdivided out of. Hunting rights can include anyone hunting out of our camp. Present owner ( hunter ) doesn't like it --- but knew it before he bought it. We do respect his property. Note --- Photo of Red Camp -- Bear used the post of the porch for his mark -2 post clawed up----- Web
----- Camp in nearby South Arlington Vt. that my Father hunted out of
[Linked Image]
also nearby the very famous South Hollow Hunting Camp in Vermont
[Linked Image]
Back in the late 70's I believe I spent many a weekend at one of these camps. Buddy's step dad was a hunting partner in one of these. Use to camp out in the summer and ride his dirtbike in the fields that were on the side of the road before you got to the camp. Haven't been back since and I have lived less than 15 miles from them my whole life! Wasn't the south hollow camp a school house that was moved to that location?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live near some of the big forests here in central PA. It is sad that the camps are pretty much empty. Peak is the first weekend for buck, then they are pretty well evacuated. Camp prices are down, and they tend to sit on the market. I was going to buy one mostly to rent for Penn State games. Still undecided.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
7887mm08--- I really don't think South Hollow was ever a School House---- I knew the original owner Ted Williams- from Cambridge New York. Ted and a man named Greenway built it soon after WWII. Soon after that Sprague Springs ( The log cabin ) about 1/2 mile up the mountain behind South Hollow was built. South Hollow has been passed down to younger family members which I run into and I'll ask them about once being a School house and get back to you. Lot's of dirt biking there. Did ya ever get to Grease Rock on your dirt bike ? --Web

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kingston
ihookem, that place is great, so glad you’ve got it!

Very nice place. I would have bought that one in a second. I used to hunt taylor county on nat. forest. Very little logging. Now I hunt in oneida county on county forest. They log every year.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Yes, the county logs a lot more. I didn't get the cabin and land for 3K , just the land . The cabin was another 3K however. Thankfully the taxes on the land and cabin are only $200 a year.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ihookem
Yes, the county logs a lot more. I didn't get the cabin and land for 3K , just the land . The cabin was another 3K however. Thankfully the taxes on the land and cabin are only $200 a year.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Michigan 2009

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
N Ga same year

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Michigan 2009

[Linked Image][/URL]

Love the canoe shot. What river is that? A place on the Au Sable is on my short list for retirement.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
742 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.