-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not getting much traffic with this post in "Ask the Gunwriters", they must all be out hunting or something. wink

A post in the Classifieds reminded me that my gun pictures certainly could be better. I have a decent Canon digital camera - Power Shot SX130 IS - which should be capable of good quality photos but whether trying to sell a firearm or just posting pics of something I’m proud of, generally the pictures are little better than snapshots with glare, uneven lighting, shadows, bad angles and all that.

So, all who care to, would you mind posting suggestions and tips of how to take well lit pictures of a firearm or other object (scope, tools, whatever) with details filled in and that show off the true color and condition of a firearm without investing in a lot of dedicated lights and those silver umbrellas? There are a lot of really well done photos in the forums and I'm sure not everybody has a dedicated studio for those. Some pictures of your picture taking setup might be especially helpful.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm thinking diffuse side lighting may rank up there in importance

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Diffuse light such that there are no shadows and no obvious glare. Avoid extremely light back grounds, and orient the points of interest such that they are parallel with ones focal plain to keep things in focus. Do a search of this site using "fence post" as a search term and one should spot some good and bad examples.

If one has a digital camera with a "highlight tone priority" setting, enable it. That can help add detail to extremely bright areas that typically burn out but with some loss of detail in dark or shadowed regions.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/24/18.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How does one achieve diffuse side lighting with ordinary household lamps?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You can try a diffuser of sorts, like a thin sheet. You can also bounce the light

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am certainly not a product photographer, but I have had decent results photographing firearms set on an elk hide (or other neutral colored drape) while outside in the shade or cloudy day. You could also try next to a window with no direct sunlight. You will need to adjust the white balance in post to account for the shade or cloudy conditions. A frame covered with a white sheet to diifuse sunlight may also work, but watch the histogram so you do not underexpose the gun or scope if the background is also the sheet.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Always important to wear sandals, without socks of course, and include a toe pic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Set up the picture to accent the gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The more off the axis of the lens the main light is the more contrast and detail there will be. This can be excessive so adding a secondary or fill light is usefull. This can be as simple as a piece of white paper just out of the frame or as refined as a strobe with light modifier. Depending on what your going for that main light could be soft and ambient like a window or like the very nice soft flat light in the photo above or hard and directional like a barebulb flash or lamp at a distance. Typically you want a ratio between the two light sources. Light/reflector combos nsturally produce usable ratios. Usually the reflector is placed far closer to the subject than one might estimate.
Another usefull thing is a translucent screen or "scrim" shot in full sun the diffuser softens and reduces full sun to a usable level.
great shots usually have main/fill components whether its realuzed or not.

NRA Life Member

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I’m no photographer but I’ve had good results outside in natural light. Orient to minimize sun glare. Just sayin.

Last edited by gkt5450; 01/02/19. Reason: Sp

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I’m no photographer but I’ve had good results outside in natural light. Orient to minimize sun glare. Just sayin.

[Linked Image]

works for me!

[Linked Image]

or even inside with sufficient light

[Linked Image]

props are good!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Experiment, using different apertures, and lighting and take lotsa images.

[Linked Image]

you will know when it pops!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1973cb450, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.