Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
In some recent threads I've seen it referenced that bullet performance on game with a close range impact of a bullet started with a low muzzle velocity (~60% of full power velocity) = bullet performance of a bullet started at high velocity hitting game at long range at approximately the same impact velocity. In my mind this theory has pretty much been debunked, bullets started at low velocity do NOT perform the same as bullets started at higher velocities that impact at the same velocity as the low velocity round. My understanding was that the prevailing theory for this discrepancy was due to not achieving the spin rate on the bullet due to low initial muzzle velocity.

Bullet spin is virtually unaffected by atmospheric conditions and whatever spin is imparted to the bullet at the muzzle will remain on impact despite signifcant velocity losses to a long range projectile. Increased bullet spin helps the bullet open, imparting centripital force.

I looked for old threads on the subject and couldn't find any. Hoping we can get some discussion from long range shooters and/or those that have conducted significant bullet testing.

David

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting concept regarding the effects of rotational rate. May also be why some advocate softer than normal bullets for close range game with reduced loads. There may not be enough speed or rotation to cause them to come unhinged. I've had good results with standard Ballistic Tips with velocities in the range of 2,100-2,400fps. They expanded well enough to wreck lungs on whitetails inside 100yds.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, math.

MV x (12/twist rate in inches) x 60 = Bullet RPM

I do believe faster RPMS show up in bullet upset.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, math.

MV x (12/twist rate in inches) x 60 = Bullet RPM

I do believe faster RPMS show up in bullet upset.

Without a danged doubt. Twist has never hurt even with plain old Bullets. And it certainly helps a bunch with tougher hunting Bullets.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Orangutans are skeptical.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a friend who cuts his .30-06 back to .308W velocities. He no longer is shooting what is stamped on the barrel, but a .308W. At some point it isn’t a .30-06, which shouldn’t be surprising, but if a .308W is GTG with a specific bullet, he is also.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thinking that if rpm was a significant factor re: terminal performance there might be a correlation in regards to how much energy is found in the bullet radius based on mass/rotational velocity. Boys, it ain't much at all............and the difference between full throttle and half throttle is likewise unimpressive.

Where's Mathman when we need him, hey? laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There isn't much energy tied up in the angular velocity, but the force that wants to peel the jacket off the bullet ought to grow with the square of the angular velocity if I remember right.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Interesting....

I remember BobNH talking about higher RPM equaling greater penetration... and citing some specific tests/studies. He knew his stuff pretty well, and I tend to withhold decent unless my personal experience is contrary... even then I’m fairly prone to question myself.

You’d think, that if more revs helps the bullet open up better.... that would decrease penetration.

I know shooting reduced velocity loads at close range, and comparing them to the same bullet at great speeds/ranges... isn’t Apples to Apples.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Canazes9
In some recent threads I've seen it referenced that bullet performance on game with a close range impact of a bullet started with a low muzzle velocity (~60% of full power velocity) = bullet performance of a bullet started at high velocity hitting game at long range at approximately the same impact velocity. In my mind this theory has pretty much been debunked, bullets started at low velocity do NOT perform the same as bullets started at higher velocities that impact at the same velocity as the low velocity round. My understanding was that the prevailing theory for this discrepancy was due to not achieving the spin rate on the bullet due to low initial muzzle velocity.

Bullet spin is virtually unaffected by atmospheric conditions and whatever spin is imparted to the bullet at the muzzle will remain on impact despite signifcant velocity losses to a long range projectile. Increased bullet spin helps the bullet open, imparting centripital force.

I looked for old threads on the subject and couldn't find any. Hoping we can get some discussion from long range shooters and/or those that have conducted significant bullet testing.

David

This is correct. Short range simulation of low impact velocities by reduced MV does not represent what actually happens.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Interesting....

I remember BobNH talking about higher RPM equaling greater penetration... and citing some specific tests/studies. He knew his stuff pretty well, and I tend to withhold decent unless my personal experience is contrary... even then I’m fairly prone to question myself.

You’d think, that if more revs helps the bullet open up better.... that would decrease penetration.

I know shooting reduced velocity loads at close range, and comparing them to the same bullet at great speeds/ranges... isn’t Apples to Apples.

I think Bob was probably talking about the test Steigers did with BBCs. If you drove them FAST and turned them hard they would penetrate like crazy. It was the reason those guys were using 7-8 twists in 300’s, 7mm’s, 338, 375’s back in the day outta blown out H&H cases. Steigers also listed the RPMs needed for his bullets to maintain optimum penetration on the package.

It said if you can’t get the RPMs needed to drop back to the next lightest Bullet. I’ve messed around with a pile of them now and it bears out what they were doing. I don’t think regular cup/core sorta bullets at those speeds would’ve faired as well since they’d probably get very torn up. BBCs, and similar tough bullets like That really work well though using that old recipe.

But I’d bet at more sane speeds wouldn’t hurt them as much and probably get the desired effects.

Last edited by beretzs; 10/25/18.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Using the Seafire method....

90 grain SGC at 2500 out of a 1-9” = 200,000 RPM

Same bullet at “normal” .243 velocity....

90 grain SGC at 3125 out of a 1-9” = 250,000 RPM

There’s several examples of these bullets at normal velocity/RPM, from 275-425 yards, where impact velocities/energies would be similar to Seafire’s famed “failed” 90 SGC... that starkly contradict his findings.

Do y’all think that extra 25% in RPM was the reason some of these bullets performed nearly identically (close to perfect)... and Seafire’s “failed”.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

There’s several examples of these bullets at normal velocity/RPM, from 275-425 yards, where impact velocities/energies would be similar to Seafire’s famed “failed” 90 SGC... that starkly contradict his findings.

Do y’all think that extra 25% in RPM was the reason some of these bullets performed nearly identically (close to perfect)... and Seafire’s “failed”.

I think a crap shot won’t alter the outcome enough for us to tell. I’d like to try the loads in jugs and see what the difference is. Betting it isn’t enough to matter. No speed or twist will make up for gut shooting.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

(250000/200000)^2 = 1.5625, i.e. 56.25% increase in rotational forces, assuming my growth as the square comment holds.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed on the increase in “force”.... but how much more work can that delta in force really do?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
By stressing the jacket more it *may* allow the impact forces to more violently expand the bullet. How much? I ain't saying.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by beretzs

I think a crap shot won’t alter the outcome enough for us to tell. I’d like to try the loads in jugs and see what the difference is. Betting it isn’t enough to matter. No speed or twist will make up for gut shooting.

200K or 250K per MINUTE which is somewhere between 3,300 to 4,000 REVs per SECOND............... and how many NANO-seconds does it take your bullet to get to STOP after hitting hide????? AND, it's making one turn every 9 inches, even if the forward velocity is slowed by half and the RPM remain, it's still only 1 turn in 4 1/2 inches........

I think adding .007 inches of bullet diameter, to certain calibers, would produce more measurable results..... smile

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
By stressing the jacket more it *may* allow the impact forces to more violently expand the bullet. How much? I ain't saying.

My guess is that the difference in performance isn’t significant until you get to the edge of the impact velocity that the particular projectile is designed for. At the edge it might make a difference in performance.

David

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Might the spin (1 in 8" 180 ELD-M impact @2800) help shatter bone like this entry, although it didn't appear that the bullet came apart? It looked peculiar for an entry to me but I don't know chit besides it was overkill +P.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

No. I'm pretty sure it was the gut shot.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.