Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I wonder why not disc brakes all the way around?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cost. That's probably it.

I like my 2011 Tacoma, but its three deficiencies are the braking power when pulling a trailer, the A/C needs a stouter fan motor, and the auto tranny needs a tow/haul/sport mode that delays shift points a bit in the upper gears.

Now with even more aplomb
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That question got asked by TFL Truck to one of the chief engineers when they debuted the most recent overhaul ('17 I think) and he gave some bullshit answer about them being better offroad because they're more sealed against the elements. The real answer is as JPro suggested, cost.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I hear the transmissions are sealed as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess would be cost as well. I've got an 11' and had an 03' before that. Front rotors on both were warped at 80k so I replaced. Now with 125k it is about ready for another set. I guess people keep buying them so why spend the money to retool the factory.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If it ain't broke!!!

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yes seems dumb.......but......

our current '05 TURD w/auto.....166K miles still has OEM rear drums

front pads changed at 160K......yes auto trans is sealed.......thats why......

my '14 is a 6 sp MT.....do not tow with either.......78K miles

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
What kind of gas mileage do you get with the 6 speed manual?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was told that the move to rear drums was because if you drive on gravel roads the grit that accumulates in the wheels will score your rotors rather quickly. On my 2003 GMC there are rear drum brakes and on the 1996 I had before that had rear discs. The rotors on my 1996 were scored badly every 20K or so. I drive 7 miles of gravel every time I leave my place. The 2003 has rear drums and they have over 40K on them and looked fine last time I checked.

Last edited by stantdm; 11/05/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last truck I had with rear drums was a Nissan Hardbody V6. Wore out multiple set of brake shoes and ruined a couple of sets of drums as a result of muddy conditions. Only real difference between rear drums and discs, is that once the mud gets into the drums, it stays there. At least with discs, they self clean a little easier. Witness the fact that pretty much all of the Side by Sides out there use discs on all four wheels.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After road-tripping across Alaska with canoes atop of HDJ 81 toyota landcruisers, HJ 61 landcruisers, FZJ 80 landcruisers, all with solid front axles and full floating rear axles and disc brakes, I can say I've always felt buyers remorse for purchasing a new Tacoma. An HDJ 81 has a full floating rear axle and disc brakes with a torque-laden, fuel efficient 4 liter inline six diesel. Front and rear electronic locking differentials as options. You can buy them as Japanese imports to British Columbia and import them into the states.

V6's, no matter who the maker, are mini van engines that make no low end torque. It's the most uninspiring motor ever devised for a four wheel drive, especially in an auto. After experiencing a few of these imports that came from Japan, we certainly get the least inspiring, mundane of 4wd's. Any peon who gets excited over a Tacoma, hasn't lived.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cost is the most likely reason. That being said, drums work just fine. Especially since we are talking a mid sized pickup.

I really do get baffled at why people get hung up on rear drums. It's not a big deal, if it had discs, you probably would see a dramatic change in braking.

Front brakes are a different story.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
What kind of gas mileage do you get with the 6 speed manual?

was getting 20-21........with P rated Cooper AT3's........but

now switched to E rated......same size 265-75x16LT..Cooper ST Maxx.......

haven't really checked mpg....but know it dropped..some...oh well.......

the ST Maxx is a much better 3 ply side wall & heavier tire for my part of the world

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 07 Taco still has OEM rear brakes at 203,000+ miles. I replaced front pads at 190,000 miles for the first time and honestly they could've gone a bit longer.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall
Cost is the most likely reason. That being said, drums work just fine. Especially since we are talking a mid sized pickup.

I really do get baffled at why people get hung up on rear drums. It's not a big deal, if it had discs, you probably would see a dramatic change in braking.

Front brakes are a different story.

I have read where Discs were added from a 4 runner with less then stellar results

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mileage ... I'm running 265-75R16 Toyo Open Country MTs on my 2014 crew cab TRD offroad w/ 6 speed manual. I've gotten near 17 mpg but not hit it for any extended time. The last 1000 mile interval I checked I only got 14.5. That sucks.

Brakes ... the reason I like rear disks is drums generally brake harder going forward than they do going backwards but disks brake the same going either direction. This can be a big deal if you have to back down a muddy hill you didn't quite get to the top of. Coming down with drums, you have only a small fraction of the stopping power, so all of your steering and most of your braking are on the front tires. This can be enough to break them loose and start an uncontrolled slide where rear disks would have taken up some of the braking load and allowed you to steer instead of slide.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Mileage ... I'm running 265-75R16 Toyo Open Country MTs on my 2014 crew cab TRD offroad w/ 6 speed manual. I've gotten near 17 mpg but not hit it for any extended time. The last 1000 mile interval I checked I only got 14.5. That sucks.

Brakes ... the reason I like rear disks is drums generally brake harder going forward than they do going backwards but disks brake the same going either direction. This can be a big deal if you have to back down a muddy hill you didn't quite get to the top of. Coming down with drums, you have only a small fraction of the stopping power, so all of your steering and most of your braking are on the front tires. This can be enough to break them loose and start an uncontrolled slide where rear disks would have taken up some of the braking load and allowed you to steer instead of slide.

Tom

I'm not sure how a drum can brake harder in one direction than the other. They use a dual piston cylinder to push out two brake shoes against the inside diameter of the drum. They might not brake as well, but I don't see how they are better in one direction than the other. I also don't buy the "breaking loose" bit at all. Rear drums will lock up a wheel fine. They might slide after locking. Have you actually had this happen and are 100% sure it wasn't just the tires sliding?

Not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely interested as my experience with drums is different.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, definitely. I'm comparing 2 TJs, a '98 that had front disk rear drums and a '05 that had disks front and rear. The drums on the TJ were pretty feeble in reverse. Since I had the same thing happen, though without 4 wheel disks for comparison, on a couple of F150s, I assume it's the nature of the beast.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.