Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dingo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I have some serious bolt timing / primary extraction issues with my 12 month old Rem 700. From what I've read and seen online it seems to be a common problem with some newer Rem 700's My rifle started out as a 300RUM but was rebarrelled soon after purchase to a 375RUM which is when I first became aware of the issue. I'm not sure if rebarrelling to another cartridge is going to create an issue with warranty but I suppose I will find out soon enough.

Anyone else had had this problem with a new Remington 700........and if so, how was it fixed? My gunsmith suggesting removing and replacing the bolt handle to it''s correct position, although I'm hoping our local Remington distributor here in Australia will just replace the bolt with a new bolt with the handle properly positioned. It's not a problem for me to get it repaired, although I don't feel it's my responsibility.

GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not let Remington fix this. They will remove your barrel and reinstall a factory barrel. A new bolt from them will probably have the same problem. If your gunsmith knows how to time the bolt and handle that is what I would do. If not contact Dan at accutig( dan40x) and he will get you fixed up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just the shipping from Oz will make the job not worth doing out of country... let your local smith do it if he is set up properly to do it.

Replacing the bolt is not a reasonable option due to headspace issues.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dan40X at accutig.com is the guy to visit with about it. The late model Remington 700 has a real problem with this. Dan is very inexpensive, but shipping both ways could be expensive. Dan is the best on bolt timing and extraction on the Remingtons and tig welds them to prevent them coming loose.
Dan's contact: http://www.accu-tig.com/

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
We had a very similar situation with a 700 SPS, new rifle wouldn’t group,decided Remington wouldn’t meet my expectations so I sent it to Gardner Precision for a total makeover. He reported that the timing was not acceptable so he recommended his guy in Alaska to correct the issue. He installed a Holland tactical bolt handle in the correct position. Mr Gardner completed his job on the action and chambered the new Bartlein barrel. I have the highest regard for the work,smoothest Remington action I have ever seen.Now we have a 6mm Creedmoor,it’s a hammer thanks to Lee. I don’t think I will ever be able to settle for a factory gun again.
Good luck
Scott

Keep your powder dry
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The AK dude was almost undoubtedly Dan at accutig.com as Butch just posted.

He is the guy when it comes to 700 bolts...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is why if you want a factory action to run like a custom you might as well get a custom. After all the cost its just about a wash and you still have a factory action.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Last time I used him Dan only charged about $40. If you can get me a Borden for $40 over the cost of a 700 I’ll take two and pay cash.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TheKid
Last time I used him Dan only charged about $40. If you can get me a Borden for $40 over the cost of a 700 I’ll take two and pay cash.

Can we make this a group buy? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not talking about what Dan charges to do his work im talking about everthing.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I'm not talking about what Dan charges to do his work im talking about everthing.

I have done everything to my Grandson's mod7 receiver and you are right, but it was certainly not necessary for a hunting rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't care for camo, but if your very young Grandson wants camo!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butch,
Does that safety lock the bolt like a normal 3 position.
Assuming it does, who did it and how much. If you don't mind telling.
Just the safety $.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
+1 on Dan40X at accutig.com work!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Butch,
Does that safety lock the bolt like a normal 3 position.
Assuming it does, who did it and how much. If you don't mind telling.
Just the safety $.

Mine came from PT&G. It is a true 3 pos and locks the firing pin. I think they are $170. Check their website.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
sherm 61-
One should not assume that a Custom is TIMED correctly.....most aren't any better than an out of box Remington.

Some make a Remington appear to be an engineering marvel !!

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not assuming all are Dan, choose wisely. All I'm saying if you spend the money to have a Factory say 700 completely worked over by somebody it's gonna be knocking on the door of a custom action dollar wise. My personal opinion is I agree with Butch a hunting round it's not necessary to go to that extreme unless you really want it. It's just my opinion I know some will disagree.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dan is correct.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Where is the problem most likely to occur? Front of the bolt handle camming surface, bottom of the bolt, front of the bolt face on barrel, the lugs or all of them?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Tejano,
There's more to bolt/handle/firing pin TIMING that watching a couple You Tube video's.

For every action,there is an equal but opposite reaction, that isn't considered by the You Tube producers.

It's not my first rodeo!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
O
O
I will throw in my support for Dan. A quick conversation with him [if there is a quick one :-)] will tell you he is the man for the job. I just finished a build on an out of the box 700 SS magnum action. The thing need more that heavy persuasion to get any round out of the chamber. I took it to my gun smith who barreled the action for me [Proof Research 300 win mag] to make sure there was not a head space issue. He showed me the extraction issue, and told me there was a guy in AK . . . you know the rest. After looking up the threads on the issue, I called Dan.

Long story short, I had him do the following work: Time the bolt for proper extraction, replace the rivet on the extractor ring in the bolt face (mine intruded into the bolt face so far it made took a small bite out of every case), replace the stock, cast Remington bolt handle with a milled SS billet handle from Pacific Tool and Gauge (several size and shape options - i got the short, swept, threaded option) TIG welded on.

He sent it back in a few days. I cannot even believe how smooth the extraction is. I could not be happier and am truly in love with the gun now. The big kicker - all of the work, including postage cost me the same as it was going to cost to get the old Remington cast handle threaded for a tactical knob.

If you have this issue, stop worrying about it, learn how to use a feeler gauge and Call Dan. I will likely send him every 700 action i build on to optimize the timing and make these GREAT improvements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,248
Posts18,466,936
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.