Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Gents, I need some advice. Am putting together an overseas hunt, and planning to take my rifle. The baggage will be checked-thru to destination, but all the flights I'm looking at will require a connecting flight in Europe. Looking at several airlines and routes available at reasonable rates, the ones that keep popping up include London/Heathrow, Amsterdam, Munich, Warsaw, and Paris. Have even seen a few connectors thru Frankfurt or Istanbul. I have not decided on a particular airline or route yet; still shopping for the best deal.

Based on your own previous experience, are there any airports which should be avoided? Any that are particularly hunter-friendly? Understand that not all countries are firearms-friendly, but am wondering which ones are less likely to be a hassle while traveling with firearms. Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CDG (Charles De Gaulle) in Paris I would avoid. It has been under construction for the past few years. You have to get on buses to travel between terminals (that may have changed by now). Total pain-in-the-ass. I haven't been to London/Heathrow in 15 years, supposedly much better now. I like the Munich airport, and I even like Schiphol in Amsterdam. My co-workers call it Schithole, they are not fans. Frankfurt is supposed to be good also.
I haven't transported firearms through any of them so I can't help there, sorry.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks, Cotis. I haven't been through Heathrow or Schipole in several years, but remember the remodeling mess in London.

However, my main concern was a connecting airport with minimal hassle for my rifle and hunting gear. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience - and I've had non in the last few years:

- Avoid Heathrow and GB completely with guns
- Amsterdam is OK but make sure you have ALL the paperwork filled out properly
- Never done Frankfurt, but understand there are not many problems. Check on required paperwork
- Paris has been relatively easy in my experience, but it has been a decade since I regularly traveled with guns to France and through France to Africa. French are more gun friendly than the Dutch and Brits. I'd go through Paris as first choice every time. I really don't mind the transportant buses at CDG.

If your guns are checked through to the destination, then you'll have few problems.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was stationed in Germany for the last couple of years and flew out of Munich several times. Flew to Africa from Munich through Zurich with rifles and had zero issues. Frankfurt and Munich are both easy, and as pointed out in an earlier post, as long as the weapons are checked thru you should have no issues. Charles de Gaul is just a challenging airport, even without weapons and Heathrow is huge, flights in and out were fine but make sure that you have adequate layover. Amsterdam was always fine for me, but I know a lot of people who had connection and luggage problems there, never traveled there with weapons. I would avoid Istanbul.

To avoid issues make sure that you are not bringing any black guns. No they are not illegal in Germany but they will raise issues if they are checked for some reason. I would recommend no handguns either, same comment. Avoid both completely if flying through the other countries.

For ammo, make sure that it is in a locked case and separate from the weapons, also watch your ammo weights. I never had mine weighed but they can.

Hope this helps.

Weidmannsheil

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Despite the bad advice of don't fly to Heathrow with guns it's rather easy. That said you will have to fly on BA to do that. No USA carrier will fly your gun London and change it to another carrier, except United will forward it to South African Airways. Heathrow is a super easy airport if you are on BA and your flights are into and out of T5. However, BA started charging an outrageous fee of 125 pounds each way to carry firearms. formerly 50 pounds. That new fee will make you think twice about taking a gun on BA. But of you can afford the trip to hunt, they feel you can afford their outrageous fee.

Munich and Zurich are easy airports too, but I have no experience with guns with those airports. I agree Paris airport is a PITA. Frankfurt can be a pain too.

Where are you flying to? If Africa, I would suggest that you look at Emirates or Qatar. Emirates is super easy, all paperwork done on-line. Great Business class, Coach not so much, but the service is better.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 03/28/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don’t go to England or Amsterdam.
GTG Paris, Frankfort, Munich.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks, gents. Will try to get the connection through Munich then.

bcranch: No problems with black rifles, I don't own any. Pretty much a blue-steel & walnut kind of guy. Waidmannsdank!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 240NMC
Don’t go to England or Amsterdam.
GTG Paris, Frankfort, Munich.

What is the issue with Amsterdam? I am flying through there to Namibia at the end of next month. My trip was arranged by Steve Turner of Travel With Guns.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What airline do you want to use and what is your final destination?

MM

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Avoid Paris and London. Best bets are Frankfurt or Amsterdam. Sometimes you can get a non-stop to Stuttgart or Munich, all preferable to let the Brits or French fuqq up your bag transfer.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
DEN/FRA/JNB/BUQ and BUQ/JNB/FRA/DEN two consecutive years, 2016 & 2017. No problems either trip. Firearm was transferred with NO hassles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Frankfurt and Munich last year on my way to South Africa. Lufthansa partners with South African Airways on routes to and from the USA. I did not bring my own guns so can't comment on that aspect. The Frankfurt and Munich airports were clean, well laid out and easy to navigate, and safe. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Don't know where you coming from initially, but why not just fly to DC (Dulles) or Atlanta. Both have direct flights to Joburg, if going to RSA. No stop overs for hours, no hassle with your baggage or guns, etc. 16 hours from DC to Joburg, and about the same from Atlanta. I wouldn't go through Europe again for anything. With all the discussion on forums about how England and I think Germany, giving people heartburn about their guns. Why bother.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I am not sure where some folks get their info from.

It's not a problem to transfer Heathrow with a gun, it's just expensive on BA to do it. Here's the deal. No USA airline will transfer your gun to another carrier, except United will transfer to South African Airways that's it. Stop blaming the UK or BA for USA airlines rules. Now, it is logistics problem to transfer your gun from Heathrow to/from Gatwick, but that's solved by a long layover time.

Next, Stop blaming BA because your flight from JNB to anywhere in Southern Africa on "BA" won't carry your gun. That Southern Africa "BA" flight is really Comair using the name BA under license and they don't carry guns, period.

Next Stop blaming BA, KLM, Lufthansa or any other airline or flight out of Europe for not carrying your gun the Zimbabwe. There is an EU ban on transporting guns to Zimbabwe, it's not the airline fault.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 05/05/18.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
...BA started charging an outrageous fee of 125 pounds each way to carry firearms. formerly 50 pounds. ...

Do you get KY jelly and the courtesy of a reach around with that fucking?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
...BA started charging an outrageous fee of 125 pounds each way to carry firearms. formerly 50 pounds. ...

Do you get KY jelly and the courtesy of a reach around with that fucking?

In the scheme of what could be ten's of thousands of dollars being spent it really isn't a biggie...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Went through Munich; great new(er) airport.

Gents, the lady who issues firearms transit permits for the Munich airport is named Katrin Wandinger and she is very easy to work with. Her contact email is katrin.wandingerlra-ed.de She will help you through the process of applying for the permit, but it's pretty easy. Basically your name, address, phone number, firearm information (make, caliber, serial number), amount of ammunition, and flight dates in / out of the country. Also a copy of your "firearms permit" from your home country (for those of us in the US, this is the Customs form), and a copy of your passport. There is no cost for the permit.

You will need the transit permit if your firearm and ammunition is being transported through Munich, regardless of final destination and regardless of the fact that the airline may have it checked-thru to your final destination (outside Germany). I would recommend applying at least a month before your flight (two months is better) because she will mail you the completed permit. You need to have the original permit in your possession, not a copy or an electronic scan. (Not a bad idea to place a copy in your gun case though).

Again, this is for Munich. There is a similar permit for the Frankfort airport, but it is handled by someone else at that location. Safe travels and good hunting!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,309 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.