Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There's no fly's on the 6. Creed, for me the.243 1x8 twist makes more sense, all kinds of brass and bullets, .243 uses about the same amount of powder, same primers, light or heavy bullets, fast or slow short or long barrel.

What's in a name? $$$$ Rio7

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
There's no fly's on the 6. Creed, for me the.243 1x8 twist makes more sense, all kinds of brass and bullets, .243 uses about the same amount of powder, same primers, light or heavy bullets, fast or slow short or long barrel.

What's in a name? $$$$ Rio7

All kinds of brass and bullets for the 6 Creed, too. What about the .243 makes more sense?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the advantages of rifles chambered (and rifled) for the latest rounds is muzzle velocity doesn't matter nearly as much with high_BC bullets. But many shooters still apparently believe a 50 or even 100 fps "advantage" in muzzle velocity matters more than the bullet.

Which means an inch or two of barrel length doesn't matter much.

Absolutely spot on...per usual.

I have quite a few rifles in that configuration, with barrels from 21" to 26", 1-7.5", and they all perform well, even way out. I'm coming to like a 22" barrel, threaded for a suppressor. I can still easily get 3050fps with 105gr class bullets.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Seex Kreedmire simply owns the mechanical advantage,over the 243Win. It is a shorter vessel,of like capacity,which equates to more COAL latitude for superior projectiles. I've only got (3) Seex Kreedmires(7's and an 8") and honestly no idea,how many 243's/243AI's...though RPM only runs 7,8 and 9" in 'em. Mainly Custom Rifles all,in both Krunchenticker and Turnbolts. Hint.

The barrel length cluelessness,is equally as fhuqking funny and I enjoyed the "kill box" ruse,more than a whole fhuqking bunch. I've got Seex Kreedmires in 26" 23" and 21" and have shot 18's as well. The velocity "difference" is a big can of Fhuqking Nothing and schit dies just as happily,with any/ALL of 'em. The distance from muzzle,to transnsonic slip distances(as per barrel length)just "happens" to be rather alike too. An 18-incher with 105 Hornie at 2850fps(soft) in Today's atmosphere at sealevel,is supersonic to the 1300yd line. Hint.

There is NO fhuqking way I'd build a 243 Today,with Kreedmire logistics and COAL superiority.

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't. HINT.

Bullets matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps and COAL latitude and throat geometry,matters more than a "smidge". 105 HPBT next to a 108 ELD and the astute will savvy.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd rather shoot 6BR than 243Win...if only because I have multiples of each.

Re-hint.(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the advantages of rifles chambered (and rifled) for the latest rounds is muzzle velocity doesn't matter nearly as much with high_BC bullets. But many shooters still apparently believe a 50 or even 100 fps "advantage" in muzzle velocity matters more than the bullet.

Which means an inch or two of barrel length doesn't matter much.

Seems to me that will be the argument for a 22 Creedmoor rifle, if any factory starts producing rifles. Does what a 22-250 does in a similar case, but with prescribed 8 twist barrels to take advantage of the heavies.

Haven't shot one yet, been window licking Scenarshooter's posts and thinking I want one.

We can't hunt deer with 22 caliber bullets in WA State, which is a shame.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a 1-6 twist CM barrel on order myself, thinking it should be a fun rifle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Guess i'm the odd man out i don't have any trouble loading 107 gr. 108. gr. in my .243s haven't tried 110gr. or 115 gr. but I will say I am damn happy with the .243. good luck with your 6s Rio7

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Stayed with the 243 due to all the components I have but starting fresh with a 22 Creedmoor looks like the way to go. Case design is better on the Creed but the length thing seems over played as it is just a tenth difference. I wonder how the barrel life will compare? I also believe the Creedmoor will have less pressure variation and few spikes like the 243 can. Those going with the 1 in 7.5 or 7.7 twist should be in good shape to shoot all the 6mm bullets. My 1-8 stops with anything over 108 grains so far.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Elmer Keith declared his 44 Mag. load and bullet as the final word; the problem with that thinking is that 90 % of handgun shooters and hunters didn't need it for the majority of their shooting, no matter how revolutionary it was or how much was theoretically left "on the table".....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Boxer
The Seex Kreedmire simply owns the mechanical advantage,over the 243Win. It is a shorter vessel,of like capacity,which equates to more COAL latitude for superior projectiles. I've only got (3) Seex Kreedmires(7's and an 8") and honestly no idea,how many 243's/243AI's...though RPM only runs 7,8 and 9" in 'em. Mainly Custom Rifles all,in both Krunchenticker and Turnbolts. Hint.

The barrel length cluelessness,is equally as fhuqking funny and I enjoyed the "kill box" ruse,more than a whole fhuqking bunch. I've got Seex Kreedmires in 26" 23" and 21" and have shot 18's as well. The velocity "difference" is a big can of Fhuqking Nothing and schit dies just as happily,with any/ALL of 'em. The distance from muzzle,to transnsonic slip distances(as per barrel length)just "happens" to be rather alike too. An 18-incher with 105 Hornie at 2850fps(soft) in Today's atmosphere at sealevel,is supersonic to the 1300yd line. Hint.

There is NO fhuqking way I'd build a 243 Today,with Kreedmire logistics and COAL superiority.

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't. HINT.

Bullets matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps and COAL latitude and throat geometry,matters more than a "smidge". 105 HPBT next to a 108 ELD and the astute will savvy.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd rather shoot 6BR than 243Win...if only because I have multiples of each.

Re-hint.(grin)

there, clear as mud!

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VernAK
I'd get the Barrett Fieldcraft that feels and balances right for you.

Pretty hard to beat right here !!! Put the rest of your $$$ in a Swaro Z-5 !! OR save up and get one of these

[Linked Image]

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the 18" FC, 16" would be fine too suppressed...18-22" un-suppressed.

[Linked Image]

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A .243 makes sense if you want to buy ammo at Walmart, or shoot lighter bullets (yeah, that's still a "thing" for some of us at times). Otherwise, a Creed is IMHO, a better-designed round, especially for someone who shoots a lot. I'm not very far into mine yet, but it's already clear that it's going to require a LOT less case-trimming, a big convenience, and likely means case-life will be a bit better. I think the case will be better for partial sizing as well, and the sharper shoulder may give slightly better barrel life. Ballistics are a toss-up, factory rifle choice goes to the .243 in a landslide, but this is the Custom Rifle forum after all.

No reason for.243 butt-hurt (same as .260 butt-hurt); shoot what you want, but base it on reason.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shrapnel ain't gonna like this

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A .243 makes sense if you want to buy ammo at Walmart, or shoot lighter bullets (yeah, that's still a "thing" for some of us at times). Otherwise, a Creed is IMHO, a better-designed round, especially for someone who shoots a lot. I'm not very far into mine yet, but it's already clear that it's going to require a LOT less case-trimming, a big convenience, and likely means case-life will be a bit better. I think the case will be better for partial sizing as well, and the sharper shoulder may give slightly better barrel life. Ballistics are a toss-up, factory rifle choice goes to the .243 in a landslide, but this is the Custom Rifle forum after all.

No reason for.243 butt-hurt (same as .260 butt-hurt); shoot what you want, but base it on reason.

I shoot a custom 243 , and I agree with everything you said. The 6 creed is a better mousetrap for long heavy bullets. I just happen to be able to leave my bullets way out there in my magazine, and have a fast twist barrel. When I rebarrel, I may have to make the change...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a #3 Bart or heavier - I prefer 22 max, if sporter 700 or say #2, no more than 23”
Personal preference for balance and blast - no can = no less than 21.

Speeds? Dumped WT at 400 yds using a 105/2850.
Only used 28.5 Varget but 26 on a No. 1

Enjoy your build. Up to deer, a 6 likely has no flies on a 6.5 with today’s bullets

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Bama_Sleeper, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.