Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Guys,

I recently traded for a 270 Weatherby. I have been getting so-so results with the 130gr. Barnes TTSX with various powders. I loaded the last bullet a few nights ago and now need to restock. Shootersproshop has 130gr. E-Tip Blems for a great price.

I'm sure there are a few around here that have used the E-Tips on game? Thoughts on accuracy and performance would be helpful before I make my next purchase.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are TTSX-ish in performance, at least in my limited experience. I've only tried them in two rifles, one likes them a lot but the other didn't. If your rifle likes the E-Tip or the TTSX, go with whichever shoots better or is cheaper, your call. The Hornady GMX can be lumped in there as well.

Now with even more aplomb
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I hunt with Barnes TTSX bullets, but two of my hunt camp buddies use E-Tips for elk. They shoot E-Tips because they couldn't get Barnes to shoot in their rifles. Performance on game seems about the same. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've read that the E-Tip may open easier than the TTSX. I use both (120 gr) in my 26 Nosler and at that speed they both are pretty expansive and tend to mess up stuff.

They're both very accurate in that rifle (M-700, Shilen #2 26" SS barrel).

At 270 Wby speeds they should do very well.

You are correct, shopping at SPS will often yield prices on E-Tips better than TTSX's. Just get a good supply when you can.

I don't use these bullets at conventional speeds, like 2,800 or so. I use softer C&C's in those rounds, as I usually chest shoot WT's to save meat and like more expansion.

Hard to beat monos at high speed.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I shot a couple deer last fall with a 270 Win and E-tip. They worked fine. They left about a 2" diameter hole on the far side. These deer were shot at about 15 yards each,

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The .270 is a 3,000 fps round with 130's, so that's fairly fast.

I don't use monos in the medium calibers unless they're moving over 3K fps. More speed is better.

If I was a bone cruncher, that would be different. We like to chest shoot our WT''s to preserve meat, not tear up shoulders.

My .257R shoots the 100 TTSX at 3,250 fps over a good dose of H100V. At 3,250 fps, that mono is a killer, does very well.

In the high 2K fps range, I prefer softer bullets.

Speed kills...

But ya gotta match bullet design with velocity for optimal results.

IMO.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Regarding velocity needs of the monos, I have had zero issues with them (TTSX and X) in the 358 Win and 9.3x62 traveling relatively slow. This on maybe 20 animals.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Regarding velocity needs of the monos, I have had zero issues with them (TTSX and X) in the 358 Win and 9.3x62 traveling relatively slow. This on maybe 20 animals.

Yeah, the bigger bores are another story. I was referring to smaller bores where speed seems to be more of a factor in optimal terminal performance.

The 250 TTSX and 270 TSX are really good in the .375 H&H, the later with a near cult following in Africa from what I've read. And those, for sure, aren't moving at warp speed.

I had a 9.3x62, never had a 358. I do like my .375 H&H.

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have used both the E-Tips and the TSX/TTSX bullets on more than a few deer. I do not see enough difference in the performance of the bullets that I could tell you there is a difference in performance on game. There most assuredly is a difference in what loading they like, particularly in seating depth. Both are quite a bit more particular about what they like for seating depth in a given rifle than are cup and core bullets. They may both like a given seating depth in a given rifle, but not always and not predictably. Both can be expected to be quite accurate but obtaining that accuracy often requires a lot of accommodation to seating depth before you see that accuracy. I have seen issues with copper fouling with the Barnes bullets, and now routinely treat all my barrels with Dyna Bore Coat as a result. I have found the E-Tips as well as the GMXs slightly more trouble to get shooting accurately than the Barnes and thus prefer the Barnes because they have a little better availability which is important when you run into a rifle that takes more bullets to get to an accurate load.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using 270's and Partitions for decades. Trialed Etips & TTSX's a few years ago, great accuracy from both, in multiple 270 Winchesters. Grandsons and I have taken several whitetails with Etips over recent years and regard it as a great on game, as I do the Partition. Happily the POA for both is nearly identical.
I strongly suspect that the ETip might even be a bit better with the added velocity of your mag.
Further, it appears to me that the controlled expansion of the ETip has shown a real reduction in bloodshot meat. So far, no shots through the shoulders, but I think the mono bullets might excel with that placement. I do have experience with Partitions with that placement, and the bloodshot meat is extensive.
First buck I took with an Etip was high thru the neck, ~130 yards, and you could "eat up to the hole". It was a sort of epiphany.
Would also add that I have not had much trouble getting TTSX's or Etips to shoot well out of any of my rifles, a couple of Remington 700s, a CLR, and a Win 70. Start with SAAMI specs for OAL, then adjust, if necessary, for your particular rifle.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.