GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Let's bump up this wonderful thread...

Good idea, big bore lever guns are always cool. Hunting w/ them on a dog sled in Alaska is next level stuff that kids dream about...all their lives.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mainer,

Your threads are great. Please keep posting.

Brian

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Finally got around to using the 41 scabbard scout for moose. Traveled quite a few miles up a swift upper Yukon River tributary. Real sparse, won't hunt there again. Finally called one into a spike camp at the dimmest first light on the 19th. About 80 yards cross river, I put a 350 grain a-frame square through the front end. He was downed instantly. He did come back to about 10-15 minutes later when I walked up on him, but couldn't move. Very big bodied, 55.75" antler spread. Never cleaned the rifle the whole 10 days.

The load was a benchrest large rifle primer, resized lapua 9.3x62 brass, 61 grains of AA 2230 under a 350 swift A-frame. Broke through both front quarter bones and both ribs, against hide on offside.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That is awesome!!! Nice critter!!!

What more can I say??? 95’s are bully!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Your boats are works of art! I hope you have a great winter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice moose!
(And canoe)

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Very nice ride, very nice rifle. Congratulations Michael!

You have an excellent good cartridge there, but given the geometry of the magazine and loading methodology have never had a jam with the 405 and hard to see how it could happen.

Last edited by North61; 09/26/20.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all.

Greg, I know you've toted your miroku 405 for caribou, dmn are they reliable, aye?

It's now my only rifle. That straight stack magazine is about the cleanest feed you could ask for. On winter hunts and canoe hunts I've had problems with tubular magazines, rotary mag on the 99, removable magazine on the blr. This here lever gun never got a cleaning. Dirty, wet and gritty, always seems to go bang. I suppose the neglect and continued reliability, it's earned its place.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Finally ran that AA 2230 load over the chronograph: 2237 fps. No room left in case for more than one grain of powder. Slightly less dense than TAC, neither powder broke the 2300 fps barrier. Many years ago, I broke 2300 fps with Alliant reloader 10x at just 58 grains. It is my opinion that the extruded powders within this burn rate, are the better powders for carbine barrels. The reloader 10x loads had less muzzle blast and less recoil as well. These powders are similar in burn rate, but 10x pulls ahead every time. No magnum primer required either. Not surprising though, I've had the best luck with Alliant powders, especially in below zero temps. I think it's time to give reloader 7 a try.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/29/20.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Thanks all.

Greg, I know you've toted your miroku 405 for caribou, dmn are they reliable, aye?

It's now my only rifle. That straight stack magazine is about the cleanest feed you could ask for. On winter hunts and canoe hunts I've had problems with tubular magazines, rotary mag on the 99, removable magazine on the blr. This here lever gun never got a cleaning. Dirty, wet and gritty, always seems to go bang. I suppose the neglect and continued reliability, it's earned its place.

Yes, that 95 is a feedaholic. Beware the man with just one gun!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by North61
Thanks all.

Greg, you're a hunting rifle "gun nut". Do you know how hard it is to be a gun nut, and only have one rifle? I tried, and I'm failing. Couple days ago, I had an idea for a new wildcat. I won't be able to rest until it goes from an idea, to a completed rifle, to another years cache full of meat. It really is a curse, get this mean builder-bug with canoes, dog sleds and hunting rifles. I'm now getting bored with the 41 scabbard scout. You wait till u see this next sumabtch. It's gonna be a mean rifle......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by North61
Thanks all.

Greg, you're a hunting rifle "gun nut". Do you know how hard it is to be a gun nut, and only have one rifle? I tried, and I'm failing. Couple days ago, I had an idea for a new wildcat. I won't be able to rest until it goes from an idea, to a completed rifle, to another years cache full of meat. It really is a curse, get this mean builder-bug with canoes, dog sleds and hunting rifles. I'm now getting bored with the 41 scabbard scout. You wait till u see this next sumabtch. It's gonna be a mean rifle......

Are you on Life Below Zero, Next Generation? At the very end of the show, showed a guy shooting a 95 with a scout scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.[/quote]

Are you on Life Below Zero, Next Generation? At the very end of the show, showed a guy shooting a 95 with a scout scope.
[/quote]

Certainly looks like the same guy

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Must be confused, I work for C-SPAN. I keep the coffee pot going and answer the phones. We never get calls, and the coffee is really stout, so folks don't fall asleep..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have enjoyed following this entire thread, but have to admit it is making me feel abit ballistically inadequate by using my peep sighted M95 30-06 with 220 gr Partitions.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Phil, I'll sell it to you.....

Getting a mean builder-bug for either a 458 win mag or a 416 Taylor, or......... another "down the rabbit hole wildcat".

Anyhow, comes with a disclaimer:

Young man, think a while and sleep on it. Those racey wildcats and magnums, those new fangled telescopic sights, why they won't do anything your open sighted 30-06 cant already do.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/04/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe after I run out of 220 gr Partitions and the four boxes of steel jacketed 220 gr Hornady solids .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Phil, Will be testing the new dgx bonded 416 ruger/hawkeye against the scabbard scout and 350 grain A-frame loads.

You and Doctari have talked up the new dgx bonded. Though I'm guilty of griping and moaning about my last 375 ruger and those awful factory rounds, It'll be interesting to see some improvement.

I'm trying to enlist some local rifleman into the test.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Heck no! Wheel dog snoop's fat face is the showstopper. I'm just the buffoon along for the ride, on the runners.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.