Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Anyone shooting this bullet in Federal ammo? Sounds a bit like a competitor to the Hornady ELDX. It would be interesting to hear results on game.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll take that as a "no".

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 10/31/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not here yet OSU.. I was kinda looking for them to get released as components. They look pretty good and if they work like the plain old Tipped TBBC I’d think they will be Ripper’s.

Semper Fi
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks. That is what I was thinking, too. Not sure when or if we'll see component availability.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are a few available as components for 270, 7mm and .30 cal. At least according to Federal Premium website. The TLR and TBT both look like great bullets to me, but until they offer them in .338 or 6.5 they are not an option.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve got the notifications on. Soon as Midway gets them I’ll try some. That 155 284 might be devilish in my Mashburn.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The 200 grainer shoots great in my 300 Win Mag!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Anyone shooting this bullet in Federal ammo? Sounds a bit like a competitor to the Hornady ELDX. It would be interesting to hear results on game.

Is it not a bonded bullet?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I took a mule deer buck in WY this year with the 175gr 30-06 factory load. Slightly quartering towards me at 180 yds. I hit him right on the point of his near shoulder, it took out both lungs and half the liver and dropped in his tracks. Bullet was not recovered, passed completely through. The exit wound was about the size of a softball and his lungs were completely liquefied. I had used Barnes TTSX previously but decided to try these since they shot slightly better in my rifle. I plan to stick with this loading for the foreseeable future.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I took a mule deer buck in WY this year with the 175gr 30-06 factory load. Slightly quartering towards me at 180 yds. I hit him right on the point of his near shoulder, it took out both lungs and half the liver and dropped in his tracks. Bullet was not recovered, passed completely through. The exit wound was about the size of a softball and his lungs were completely liquefied. I had used Barnes TTSX previously but decided to try these since they shot slightly better in my rifle. I plan to stick with this loading for the foreseeable future.

Great review. Thank you!

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It’s bonded as far as the specs go on it. I sorta think it’s very Nosler ABLR in idea. Bonded, soft lead up front, solid rear.

Semper Fi
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

I don't know the answer to that.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ajmorell

Great review. Thanks.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by beretzs

It’s bonded as far as the specs go on it. I sorta think it’s very Nosler ABLR in idea. Bonded, soft lead up front, solid rear.

I'll go with that. Thanks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I read somewhere that it is a trophy bonded tip bullet that has been modified

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Maybe I should ask a more basic question. Does Federal make its own bullets or are they manufactured by one of the big bullet makers?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I read somewhere that it is a trophy bonded tip bullet that has been modified

That’s certainly the way they look to be constructed based on what I’ve read and the cross section pictures on Federal’s site. I think they modified it to open more reliably at lower velocities so they could better market it to the long range hunting community. All I know is it shoots lights out for me and performed well on the 1 animal I’ve had an opportunity to use them on.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe I should ask a more basic question. Does Federal make its own bullets or are they manufactured by one of the big bullet makers?

I’d like to know myself.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't Federal part of the ATK brand which also includes Speer?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They were. ATK spun them off into a company now branded Vista Outdoor. Speer and Federal are still both under that umbrella though.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 55 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.