Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Snootie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I picked up a Sako 85 (synthetic stock) in 2010 for a sheep hunt I had scheduled for 2011. I have used it very sparingly on a few deer hunts since. It's been a safe queen most of it's life. Yesterday I went to retrieve it from the safe and when I went to pull it out it felt like I was touching fly paper. The whole stock has a very sticky feel to it. I called the gun shop where I purchased the gun and was told they have heard this happening on occasion and my best bet is to call customer service. So...after work I call customer service (Beretta USA) and I'm told the gun must have come in contact with something that reacted with the "rubber" stock. He mentioned "deet" will do that to synthetic stocks and they hear that from a lot of waterfowl hunters. I told him....BS, I'm not buying what he's telling me. The gun is always cleaned and wiped off before being put in the safe. He wanted me to send it back for "evaluation" and most likely I will need a new stock, but they will sell it to me at wholesale price + probably about 1/2 hr. bench time and shipping. I said....and then what, I can buy another one in 10 more years. Am I missing something? Has this happened to anyone else?

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I feel your pain snootie...

Im from New Zealand an have the same problem, my 7mm08 was one of the first 85,s with the soft touch stock so is around 10yrs old. Mine started going tacky and thinking it was sweat from my hands i washed it in with dish washing detergent.
It made no difference, still sticky and tacky. Leaves stick to it as does dirt, hair etc. The soft touch is starting to wear off it some places... really pisses me off!!!

Ive contacted beretta about it on 2 occasions and they tell me because of the age its no longer under warranty. Like you I got fed the deet bs!! They would sell me a new stock at full price(1200-1500nzd). Ordered one, 12months later it still didnt look like arriving. Cancelled order as I was lucky to locate a new one on ebay.

If you do some research you will find browning soft touch stocks had the same problem an Im pretty certain they were replacing effected stocks.

Last edited by cervus; 10/23/18.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
cervus - I wouldn't have wasted my time even calling Berretta NZ. Have got a four year old Sako 85 Black Bear and the rubber coating has started to wear off in a few places. Hasn't gone sticky though. I'll eventually replace the stock, which I have never liked anyway, with a McMillan or Southfort Labs carbon.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have seen this same thing happen with the benelli shotgun softtouch stocks as well, which is a beretta owned company. I will not buy any softouch stocks, they all seem to have issues long term.

Snootie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cervus, Thanks for the reply! I also read that Browning is aware of the problem and is replacing affected stocks. I thought maybe Sako (Beretta) would do the same. Guess I'm cheap but tonight I figured I had nothing to lose so I started working on the stock. Only thing I found that would take off the soft touch finish is acetone. I kept soaking an area of the stock then wipe it off, using lots of clean rags. I have it about 90% completed. Really doesn't look to bad but I can see areas that the soft touch must have hidden. I will either send it off to be painted or tackle it myself. Funny thing, I was checking out Ebay last evening looking for a replacement. If I could find a "Grey Wolf" stock reasonably priced I'd go that direction.

Spence1875, Did not know that about the Benelli shotguns. Guess who bought an M2 in 20ga. 2 yrs. ago for turkey hunting! Thanks for the heads up!

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I loaned my Finnlight to a friend while I was overseas, and unfortunately he coated it with some kind of preservative and the same tackiness occurred. He meant well, but I too have worked on it with isopropyl alcohol to remove the gunk. I love my Sakos, and the other two have not had any issues with the stock.

Best of luck with the stock. BTW the Limbsaver recoil pad fits nicely on the Finnlight stocks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I stick with my 75’s. No such problems. 1/2 of them are in mcmillans though

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My first 85 did it. But, I had already restocked it. So it did so while sitting alone in the closet.

My second 85 will get restocked before it does the same.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for posting this.

I was considering one of the Sako 85 Black fluted rifles, but I assume the soft touch on them poses the same risk.

I'll stay away.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Thanks for posting this.

I was considering one of the Sako 85 Black fluted rifles, but I assume the soft touch on them poses the same risk.

I'll stay away.

I’ve had three 85 Finnlights, if it’s a light rifle I’d take a Kimber Montana before the Sako any day.

Fwiw, I currently own a Sako Finnlight and wish I still owned my Montana.

None of my 85’s have had this problem though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beretta CS sucks! Good luck.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RBO
Thanks for posting this.

I'll stay away.

I’ve had three 85 Finnlights, if it’s a light rifle I’d take a Kimber Montana before the Sako any day.

Fwiw, I currently own a Sako Finnlight and wish I still owned my Montana.

None of my 85’s have had this problem though.

I am a Kimber fan too, but the "black Finnlite" at $900 looks like a nice gun for the money. Almost Tikka pricing smile

At a listed 6lbs 6oz, the "black Finnlite" is still about 12 ounces heavier than a Montana 84L

I am not too big on the soft touch stocks anyway, so if/when I buy another 85 it will be a wood stocked rifle.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What timing. Looking at the black fluted also and just got off the website and got on the forum to look for a thread on the 85 and presto. Great to be a member and have thorough members who share.Thanks.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I know the feeling wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for posting this.

I'll stay away.

Why? It’s the barreled action you want. Get it restocked & you’ll have a fine rifle.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I purchased the black 85 308 Win & it had a 22” barrel. Wonderful, as I did not like the 20” barrels Sako has put on them. The black guns have a longer barrel.

Last edited by Reloder28; 10/26/18.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Thanks for posting this.

I'll stay away.

Why? It’s the barreled action you want. Get it restocked & you’ll have a fine rifle.

+1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Thanks for posting this.

I'll stay away.

Agree on the 20" barrel. I'd prefer 22" as well.

But the tacky stock concern, when considered along with the ejection issues some have reported just puts me over the top.

And Beretta CS seems to be another question mark.

If I want a good barreled action, there are a lot of other good options.

Edit: I have a NIB Sako 85 Classic 7Mag sitting in my safe right now . . . . that's enough risk for now smile

Last edited by WhelenAway; 10/26/18. Reason: Added comment

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like my old L-61’s. They all shoot well.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Sorry to hear this has happened to you. I'm not (Beretta USA) fan. If it were me it would get sent down the road. I recently sent one down the road and took a little bit of a beating. I would figure out if you would come out better selling it the way it is or putting a new stock on it.

I like low mounted scopes. If you put a low mounted scope on Sako 85 you will an ejection issues. You may not notice if you shoot them at the range and slowly eject the shell and pull them out by hand. But if you test it like you were in a hunting situation most likely you'll find dents in your casings where they bounce off the scope or worse yet end up in your action causing a jam.

Because of this I will never buy another Beretta product again. I've tested the majority of gun manufactures out there and my personal preference always ends up back at Brownings. My experience is they are very accurate and reliable and I would put my Browning rifles up against any out the box rifle. My latest Xbolt .300 win mag will hold a 3 shot 2" group consistently at 400 yards and so will my Abolt .270 wsm. Haven't finished testing my Xbolt .308 Win yet but what testing I've done I think it will also shoot.

Again sorry about your bad experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, Bigd7378, Birdwatcher, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,254
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.