Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
People up here used to can meat using buffalo schit to fuel the fire.

Safe and easy today.

I am MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by papalondog
Venison is good. Smoked salmon is really good too.

We only brine the salmon and smoke it about 1/2 done. Then can it and it finishes the cooking. Fantastik!!

We do a cold smoke. Makes the best and easiest salmon patties

That sure sounds good.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bbassi get gets the most points since he's putting it all on the line. Nice pics as well.
Appreciate all the comments and guess I'll spend tomorrow rounding up the canner and a bunch of jars.
Deer season starts next weekend for me and my grandsons, and they are hot to get to it. It looks to be a good one here as I am seeing exceptional numbers of bucks.
Younger one helped me make 117# of sausage after last season, canning appears to be a little less work, so the idea sounds better and better, more so since I recently filled my freezers with a moose.
Why didn't I think of that?

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
(In my best Monty Python voice) I'm not dead yet! smile Although I really needed a nap after that one.

Seriously, If you do it correctly, it's just as safe as any other canned food. The trick with any meat or none acid food is to get the heat/time kill high enough to destroy any of the nasties that can cause you ill. That's why you NEED a pressure canner for meat. You can't get the jars hot enough without it to be absolutely sure IMO. I'll also plug the Ball canning book. tons of great info in there.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've been canning the tough cuts of deer & elk for years. I have some on the shelf now that's probably 6 years old & I looked at it last week & I'm sure it's good. Just mash up some taters, heat up your canned meat & make a meal. Sure saves freezer space & those tough cuts are super tender. I like to add a small wedge of onion in each jar along with a bit of salt.

Dick

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just ate a canned venison salad sandwich, YUMMY

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I will have to get the Ball canning book. I always wanted to try canning meat but was told by the old folks that it was more dangerous unless you knew exactly how. Is there anything special to watch for other than sealing just like any canning.

time and temp, or more precisely time and pressure.

Gotta kill the botulism and other nasties which live in stored low acid foods and which will kill you deader than hell.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Canning meat was a big game changer for us. IMO the easiest and most practical way to process a lot of game.

Yup. Put your spices, if any, on top of the meat in the jar and process for 110 minutes at 10psi. It will keep for years.

We made moose meat brats one year and couldn't get enough fresh casings so we canned about 25 lbs of it. Came out great!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DW7
I'd bet theres some vets on here that'll tell you they've eatin 20 or 30yr old canned food while serving!

I ate some sure enough “tin canned” rats, that were old as hell, the last one I ate was the last one I ate. It was some kinda egg omelette that took two days for the can taste to pass.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by papalondog
Venison is good. Smoked salmon is really good too.

We only brine the salmon and smoke it about 1/2 done. Then can it and it finishes the cooking. Fantastik!!

You smoke it in a smoker? Smoke it 1/2 done?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the meat fully cooked prior to canning, or does it go in the jars raw?

Totally new stuff to me!!

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Usually when you PRESSURE-BOIL something for 25-35 mins, at a few extra atmospheres

I'd say it's cooked.

As it cools, the vacuum is created and the seal

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pressure boiling in the pressure cooker allows you to exceed the 212 temp

Up to 230-240

Autoclaving your meat laugh

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Grewd up on "buckmeat" sandwiches. Thanks or posting, haven't canned anything in a few years... My freezer is full!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Folks in western N.C. still can meat using the water bath method. Today this is considered a dangerous method.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is very recent USDA information on meat canning. They set the standards for time and temperature/pressure that all the other reputable publishers try to follow. Free good info, courtesy of the US taxpayers.

Files are pdf, ready to print.

https://nchfp.uga.edu//publications/usda/GUIDE05_HomeCan_rev0715.pdf

--Bob

Last edited by BullShooter; 10/27/18.
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Buckskin
Is the meat fully cooked prior to canning, or does it go in the jars raw?

Totally new stuff to me!!

Nope, put it in raw, do not add water. I like beef bullion cubes and hot chili peppers.

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Canning meat was a big game changer for us. IMO the easiest and most practical way to process a lot of game.

Yup. Put your spices, if any, on top of the meat in the jar and process for 110 minutes at 10psi. It will keep for years.

We made moose meat brats one year and couldn't get enough fresh casings so we canned about 25 lbs of it. Came out great!

Ed

Those numbers change with altitude. Just FYI.

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by DW7
I'd bet theres some vets on here that'll tell you they've eatin 20 or 30yr old canned food while serving!

I ate some sure enough “tin canned” rats, that were old as hell, the last one I ate was the last one I ate. It was some kinda egg omelette that took two days for the can taste to pass.

I've heard tell before. Figured there'd be a few here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

Those numbers change with altitude. Just FYI.

Yes they do!

USDA says 90 minutes for quarts at sea level, but we do all meat and fish for 110 minutes using 10# weight, so altitude doesn't come into play. Just remember one setting and go for it!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,527
Posts18,452,853
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.