Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

Can you hunt polar bears if you're not a native?

No.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nevada is all by draw. Some years ago, I bought a bunch of llama pack equipment from a big game hunter from Reno. He had a pack string for hunting but he'd gone almost 10 years without drawing an elk or deer tag. He finally sold off his llamas and gear and started going out of state using outfitters. It was great for me as I got a great deal but it sure sucked for him.

We are not far from it, I think you will see big changes in next year's regs. Way too many people in the open hunts.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Art, Please don't be telling people what we pay for our "tags" It's rather embarrassing how expensive they are.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

No.

Didn't think so. The f**king Sierra Club would go nuts. But it's A-OK if a native does it. Nothing against native Alaskans, just the Sierra Club.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Art, Please don't be telling people what we pay for our "tags" It's rather embarrassing how expensive they are.

You think you are embarrassed? Wait until you are my age!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

No.

Uh oh.

Gotta make a phone call.

BRB.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

You think you are embarrassed? Wait until you are my age!

you are the only guy I know who knew Moses personally.
I don't think I'll ever be able to compete with that.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only hunted Alaska for the last 53 years and as I approach 70 I realize more and more how much this state is made for young hunters. Every thing you hunt up here is in rugged unforgiving country, the game is heavy and hard to pack out. The terrain is hard to travel on and will suck the wind out of you.

With the deer and small game opportunities, Wyoming appeals to me. But, for sheer wilderness to travel through, Alaska is hard to beat. Our big game animals are not every where, moose and sheep and goats are in "pockets" and some areas seem pretty barren of big game. Our accessible caribou herds for most of us are hunted by to many hunters, as are the moose. So packing in some where is best as it gets one away from the crowds.

The good news is my wife is my hunting partner and we just enjoy Alaska, whether we make a gut pile or not.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, you can hunt grizzly bear. Singular. One tag available. The tag's available but not the bear after that @#$%^ liberal judge stopped the hunt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it comes down to where you can make a reasonable living, Having lived and worked in Alaska, my busy time was also fall hunting time. It's expensive and I had access to aircraft since I fly for a living. Where I live in CT, we got plenty of deer and turkeys to shoot, the problem here is well crowds on public land, the state lands get hit hard. Private Property is well hard to to get access at times. I have huntable land, but it's not cheap by any means. Montana, Idaho Wyoming would be my picks but being able to make a living comes first without money, you are not going to be doing much hunting no matter how good it is. That is a fact of the matter. I myself would like nothing better than to pack up and find a spot in the North West Corner of Montana, the problem is finding work that pays well enough to support oneself that will give you the time to well hunt and fish. As a pilot, I could maybe get a job flying for one of the FEDEX feeders when they hire, still, I would end up living in Billings like I did when I few bank paper in the 1980's no time to do anything other than fly and sleep and rest up over the weekend. As it was there was never enough money left over to do much running around when the weekend came anyway.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nevada is all by draw. Some years ago, I bought a bunch of llama pack equipment from a big game hunter from Reno. He had a pack string for hunting but he'd gone almost 10 years without drawing an elk or deer tag. He finally sold off his llamas and gear and started going out of state using outfitters. It was great for me as I got a great deal but it sure sucked for him.

This is BS. I draw a tag every other year, by design. The off years I am in Idaho hunting with my brother, who lives there. This year I drew a deer and elk tag, as I did in 2016, elk in 2014, deer in 2013, elk in 2011....

If you are willing to drive everywhere in the state, you can draw something with rifle easily 3-4 years out of 5. Every year is easily done with a smokepole and stick and string added in...

Guys that cant draw hold out for the so called premium units in their back yard.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Been a resident of SD, Ak and Mt.

None are a bad choice. All have great hunting. Like everywhere else, access is king.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

This is BS. I draw a tag every other year, by design. The off years I am in Idaho hunting with my brother, who lives there. This year I drew a deer and elk tag, as I did in 2016, elk in 2014, deer in 2013, elk in 2011....

If you are willing to drive everywhere in the state, you can draw something with rifle easily 3-4 years out of 5. Every year is easily done with a smokepole and stick and string added in...

Guys that cant draw hold out for the so called premium units in their back yard.

I don’t hunt Nevada, but it does sound like you confirmed what Rock Chuck said about all tags are by a draw...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

I don’t hunt Nevada, but it does sound like you confirmed what Rock Chuck said about all tags are by a draw...

Yes, all tags by draw except Mountain Lion, but the guys that say that they can't ever draw are not telling the whole story I guess was my point.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.