Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Onemoreshot
I will throw in my support for Dan. A quick conversation with him [if there is a quick one :-)] will tell you he is the man for the job. I just finished a build on an out of the box 700 SS magnum action. The thing need more that heavy persuasion to get any round out of the chamber. I took it to my gun smith who barreled the action for me [Proof Research 300 win mag] to make sure there was not a head space issue. He showed me the extraction issue, and told me there was a guy in AK . . . you know the rest. After looking up the threads on the issue, I called Dan.

Long story short, I had him do the following work: Time the bolt for proper extraction, replace the rivet on the extractor ring in the bolt face (mine intruded into the bolt face so far it made took a small bite out of every case), replace the stock, cast Remington bolt handle with a milled SS billet handle from Pacific Tool and Gauge (several size and shape options - i got the short, swept, threaded option) TIG welded on.

He sent it back in a few days. I cannot even believe how smooth the extraction is. I could not be happier and am truly in love with the gun now. The big kicker - all of the work, including postage cost me the same as it was going to cost to get the old Remington cast handle threaded for a tactical knob.

If you have this issue, stop worrying about it, learn how to use a feeler gauge and Call Dan. I will likely send him every 700 action i build on to optimize the timing and make these GREAT improvements.

And some want to argue with him!
Laughing!
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"My rifle started out as a 300RUM but was rebarrelled soon after purchase to a 375RUM which is when I first became aware of the issue."
Can you now make the claim that the item was defective as delivered? With a straight face?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
5thShock,
Can you now make the claim that the item was defective as delivered? With a straight face?

Any Remington & most Custom Clone bolts/handles are TIMED into BATTERY & not TIMED for PRIMARY EXTRACTION.

So YES,I will state that it was defective as delivered....with a STRAIGHT FACE any day of the week!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dans40X
5thShock,

Any Remington & most Custom Clone bolts/handles are TIMED into BATTERY & not TIMED for PRIMARY EXTRACTION.

So YES,I will state that it was defective as delivered....with a STRAIGHT FACE any day of the week!!

I will agree with this, Remington has a problem

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dan40X at accutig.com has done 8 for me, no problems. Hard to say enough good about Dan!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan doesn't need me to help his argument, but I'm going to.

The issue is extraction timing. That is largely isolated from barrel fittment.

Extraction timing is set by where the bolt handle is placed on the bolt.

Remington put the dang bolt on. They F'ed it up.

Strip that action down to the bolt and the action. The problem is there, and it's Remington's.

But the warnings about sending it to them are correct.
They will sing about altered product. And something unwanted is bound to happen.

This is actually an opportunity. If it worked decent, you would just keep using it.
Now, you are forced to get I think addressed.
In doing that, you may as well consider what bolt handle you would prefer.
And you will end up with a gun you like better, with a bolt handle that you KNOW, is stuck on there.

PS. When choosing that handle, think hard.
Threaded is a good way to go.
That way, when you realize that dump truck shifter is a pain, you can just screw a normal size one on.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do you just send the bolt to Dan? I have a new Sendero with extraction issues that I would like to have Dan correct.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RMerta
Do you just send the bolt to Dan? I have a new Sendero with extraction issues that I would like to have Dan correct.

You can if you are capable of making measurements that Dan will need.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I'm not talking about what Dan charges to do his work im talking about everthing.

I have done everything to my Grandson's mod7 receiver and you are right, but it was certainly not necessary for a hunting rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't care for camo, but if your very young Grandson wants camo!

Butch are you sure that is a model 7 action? Tang seems awfully short. I’ve noticed the same thing when you’ve posted about opening the rear action screw to accept a larger screw messing with your safety, which has not been a problem for me on either of the Model 7 rifles i have had the rear screw opened on

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Interesting subject. Anyone (Butch?) care to share a picture of how/where Dan wants the measurement(s) taken?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I'm not talking about what Dan charges to do his work im talking about everthing.

I have done everything to my Grandson's mod7 receiver and you are right, but it was certainly not necessary for a hunting rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't care for camo, but if your very young Grandson wants camo!

Butch are you sure that is a model 7 action? Tang seems awfully short. I’ve noticed the same thing when you’ve posted about opening the rear action screw to accept a larger screw messing with your safety, which has not been a problem for me on either of the Model 7 rifles i have had the rear screw opened on

Haven't seen this post in a long time.I don't remember saying that that changing to the larger size action screw hurts the safety. If I did, I was wrong. My Grandson's rifle started as a 600 not a Mod7 as posted.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 05/16/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Interesting subject. Anyone (Butch?) care to share a picture of how/where Dan wants the measurement(s) taken?

I'd like to know the anwser to this as well. Can anyone elaborate?? Thanks, Sam

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Email Dan. He'll tell you exactly how he wants it measured.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Picture is worth a 1000 words.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Picture is worth a 1000 words.

There are several You Tube video's floating around the internet on the subject-
But
Most are concerned with 1 aspect of the issue & neglect the 4 other crucial aspects.

I require-
The serial number pre-fix letter(s) of the receiver.
(to ascertain handle vintage)
If any modifications have been performed to the bolt handle.
(OEM cast handles have voids/inclusions)
If any extractor modifications have been performed to the bolt nose.
(Improper SAKO extractor mods that have a through hole instead of c/bored extractor pivot point is a dangerous modification & service will be refused)
If any paint/coatings have been applied to the bolt/handle.
(Coatings are not conducive to TIG welding)

A simple clearance measurement is required.
A simple scribe mark is required if your bolt body is in 1 hand & your bolt handle in the other.
2 simple measurements from the receiver if it has been trued & has not been re-barreled.

At best,depending on vintage of any non-bastardized Rem 2 bolt lug bolt/receiver the bolt/handle is .060"(1/16) to.180"(3/16) out of TIME. out of the box.

IF, a 'phone call(I'll return call on my cell) or e-mail is not received & a pkge arrives,said package will be returned w/ refused service.PERIOD.
IF, any & all requested info is not included in said pkge,it will be returned w/ refused service.PERIOD.

I do not,have not,will not randomly re-attach a bolt handle to anybody's bolt body.

In 30+ years & 10,000+ precision TIG welded bolt handles to date,I will not deviate,change my procedures or have the time or patience to deal with those that can not follow simple instructions.

Comply or seek others to practice on your equipment.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.