Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am thinkin of trading a 1911 for one of the 69's, my thoughts are that for self defense CCW the 9mm is more than adequate, I carry a P365 and am very good with it, for a woods gun the 44 mag seems to make more sense, I don't let the lock bother me I have had a lot of rounds through 3 different 29's and never had a problem. I don't hate ruger or smith, get the one that you want if you don't like it trade it for the other and when you don't like that one trade it back for the other one. I support my local gun shop.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Guess it really boils down to what you plan on using it for. My all day every day carry gun is a Kahr CW45 with a Laserguard and loaded with Cutting Edge 200gr Monometal Flat points over a charge of Silhoutte that gives me right at 1,000 pfs from the 3.6" bbl. I carry it in the left front pocket of my carharts. When we go further afield, I drop the 2 3/4" M69 loaded with 260gr WFNGCs (or 300gr) in the back pocket of my carharts. I've been retired for almost twenty years and my "further afield" outings get shorter every year. Not less often, just shorter in duration.

Here's the little Kahr along side the M69s:

[Linked Image]

and the Cutting Edge monometal flat points:

[Linked Image]

and some 300gr .44 Miss Bul Co Hammers:

[Linked Image]

I think Hickock45 overdramatized the recoil of the 2 3/4" M69. I'm not a recoil junky, but with the X Frame 500 grips (factory grips exacerbate recoil for me) full on .44 Mags don't hurt. Remember, velocity is only in the 1,100 to 1,150 fps range with the short barrel and velocity is what makes for sharp recoil. Also, you can pretty much choose the level of performance (recoil) with .44 spec and .44 mag factory and specialty ammo avail today. JMHO.

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 10/30/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LJBass
That mount is from Raptor-engineering. It's pretty clean looking. I put a .020 shim under the front of it today at work. That should give me ~10.25" of elevation adjustment. I'll be ready to try the light loads out again this weekend.

That's a slick mount. Allchin offers a similar looking mount called the Mini STS, which looks to have more holes drilled in it to increase the number of sights it's compatible with.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

As You noted S&W releases some revolvers w/o the lock, but there is no telling if they ever will for the M69. None have been released yet that I am aware of. You might pester Lipseys about this. There are a couple of guys over at the S&W forum who make plugs for the locks.

I had the 4 inch M69 and now have the 2 3/4 inch, as I feel it is the right size to drop in your back pocket for short walks.

The older I get the less I care to be hammered by recoil (used to actually enjoy it), My handloads are a 250 grain SWC at 1,000 fps plus and I do not find it obnoxious, YMMV.

I prefer the factory grips to anything else I've tried for shooting and carrying... but will try altering a set of the X-frame grips as Paul has done.

The front sight on the 2 3/4" is too large for me... I generally replace them with Dawson Precision's fiber optics anyway.

Paul,

Thanks for posting the picture of Your altered X-grips... will give that a try. Also will look up the mono-metal bullets you pictured.

DesertOakie,

I'm with You, prefer the pre-locks and pre-MIM to the newer guns by far.

But I do tire of the posts that be-little guys for prefering a lighter revolver, I am biased as I carried almost daily while working in the mountains/deserts of the western U.S., possibly because it is only a small part of what I was packing and by the end of the day it was all too damn much. The M69 is only slightly thinner but you can really tell when packing it, and the 2 3/4 inch version only weighs approx. 35 ounces. Try one... if You can get over the stupid lock You might actually like it.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I think the only revolvers S&W released without the locks are those that have no exposed hammer. They figure that's enough to make them lawyer proof.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Paul I was very surprised that Hitchcock complained so much about the recoil. I like the 45 ACP but seem to be able to shoot a cheap smith and wesson 45 shield better than a 1911 these days, don't know why. I had a PM9 good gun very accurate but for me these days the P365 with 13 rounds in it has proven reliable and very accurate. On the other hand the attraction of the 45ACP has always been lower decibels on firing. Having fired a 9mm a few times without earpro I want to avoid that. I have finished a few deer/pigs/killed snakes with a 2 inch 38 or a 3.5 inch 45ACP and they are not awful in report. I believe you can achieve about the same thing with a 44 at 900 fps??

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Originally Posted by johnw
And I know guys who hate on Bill Ruger's memory because of his stance on gov't regulations. Others who hate on Smith for caving.

That's a major sector of the handgun market supply to hate on.

I do know that Smith still makes and sells revolvers with no lock. Any chance some distributor will push the issue and get a model 69 made up minus the wart?

It's called OLDER MODEL Rugers and S&Ws, BEFORE the confounded giving into the commies!! Case in point: S&W 629-4 3" barrel: no lock, forged metal internals, solid barrels, forged steel frames that don't break...but OH MY GOD!!!! IT WEIGHS 10 OUNCES MORE (or whatever)!!!!! I CAN'T CARRY THAT AROUND!!!! Really? Why not lose 10 pounds of your gut, then you should be able to carry around 10 more ounces!!! wink

The weekend of Nov 3rd, I cut out 90% or more of the bread and potatoes that I normally eat. Since then I've consumed one slice of garlic bread, one cheeseburger with bun, and one 2" square piece of baked potato skin with shreds of potato attached.
and I've lost 12 pounds in 11 days.

And I still prefer to carry the smaller of my carry pistols.
At work I still carry the smallest wrench I think will do the job.
And I still carry a #3 lead "pussy whip" to weld with rather than use the 3/0 "stinger" hanging with the welding machines.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And I could drown baby ducks for a french fry...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by johnw
And I could drown baby ducks for a french fry...

grin grin grin

Retired cat herder.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.