Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Am looking for a 308 Win. Regret selling a nice old pre 64 Fwt. That said, what is considered the best version of the newer M70's? Understand there were various extractor configurations, stock lengths, etc. Please forgive as this is probably not a "collectors" question, but thought you folks would know. Just don't want to spend big $ being asked for well used pre 64's. Thanks.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Many of the die hard pre64 fans will probably disagree but having owned both pre 64's and newer FN made model 70's a BACO FN made model 70 is as good as it gets with respect to finish and accuracy. I'll admit the older model 70 style trigger is a better design but a lighter spring in the MOA trigger is definitely livable with to me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I disagree with the above post. I've seen a couple BACO's that struggled to shoot 3 moa from the factory. What cracks me up is, they paint over the pot metal trigger guard to make it look like stainless. I've seen this on the newer extreme weathers and it makes me cringe while thinking these fu ckers are really skimping and cutting corners. I don't know if they are doing this in Portugal or if this is being done here, before they ship the parts to Portugal? Either way, it's a shame to see this type of lack of quality in a rifle that doesn't even deserve the Winchester model 70 name. It's a Browning made in Portugal, for all intents and purposes, as far as I'm concerned. It will never be as good as a pre 64. OP, save your money and buy the real deal. They aren't that hard to find in excellent condition.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I disagree with the above post. I've seen a couple BACO's that struggled to shoot 3 moa from the factory. What cracks me up is, they paint over the pot metal trigger guard to make it look like stainless. I've seen this on the newer extreme weathers and it makes me cringe while thinking these fu ckers are really skimping and cutting corners. I don't know if they are doing this in Portugal or if this is being done here, before they ship the parts to Portugal? Either way, it's a shame to see this type of lack of quality in a rifle that doesn't even deserve the Winchester model 70 name. It's a Browning made in Portugal, for all intents and purposes, as far as I'm concerned. It will never be as good as a pre 64. OP, save your money and buy the real deal. They aren't that hard to find in excellent condition.

You should of bought them back in 05... I know for fact my trigger guard has not been spray painted silver.. mine is South Carolina made gun. But I can't even take you serious anymore mr I bough a savage and tikka guy..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My favorite is Winchester Model 70 XTR from the 1980's. Yes I have a pre 64 Model 70.
If I wanted a new hunting Rifle I would have it built like this.
Winchester Model 70 XTR long action with Cerkote on action & barrel.
HS Precision Stock ordered to my length of pull.
Barrel Match Grade 26 inch no shorter than 24 inch.
Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts
Burris Signature Rings with 10 MOA inserts installed.
Leupold Scope CDS
Reload Nosler AB Bullets or buy Nosler or Hornady ammo.

Now Caliber .270 Win, .280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag.

If I did not hunt Alaska I would lean to the left on this list, If I lived in Alaska I would lean to the right.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
To the OP’s question:

It really depends what you want the rifle to do. Looking for a pre’64 FWT 308 may take some time and money, but if replacing the one you sold is your aim, it’s worth the effort.

I stupidly sold 2 p-64s, a 358 FWT and a straight comb 300H&H between 10-12 years ago. It’s only in tne past 2 years that I was able to find replacements - with help from my friends - for each, in the condition I wanted. I’m happy with my choice.

On the other hand, I wanted a 264 Win Mag badly to be my plains rifle and found an early, unfired SS Extreme Weather Classic. This EW SS Classic is a much better replacement for my purpose, than replacing my old P-64 MC P-64 Westerner with an original.

The Classics from the ‘90s have worked well for me as huntiing rifles. One last point, I have a 6.5 Gibbs built on a PF early ‘80s USRAC XTR FWT - originally a 257R - with a 26¨SS barrel and the original factory free-floated wood stock, which is one of my most accurate rifles.

So, IMHO what you buy should depend on what you are looking for. The rest of us have our opinions, but figuring out what you want from the rifle needs to be your task. At least, if you want to be happy with your choice.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

You should of bought them back in 05... I know for fact my trigger guard has not been spray painted silver.. mine is South Carolina made gun. But I can't even take you serious anymore mr I bough a savage and tikka guy..

blush laugh. I guess that might tell you something. I'd rather buy a new savage or tikka, than a Singapore made model 70 shocked sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
To the OP’s question:

It really depends what you want the rifle to do. Looking for a pre’64 FWT 308 may take some time and money, but if replacing the one you sold is your aim, it’s worth the effort.

I stupidly sold 2 p-64s, a 358 FWT and a straight comb 300H&H between 10-12 years ago. It’s only in tne past 2 years that I was able to find replacements - with help from my friends - for each, in the condition I wanted. I’m happy with my choice.

On the other hand, I wanted a 264 Win Mag badly to be my plains rifle and found an early, unfired SS Extreme Weather Classic. This EW SS Classic is a much better replacement for my purpose, than replacing my old P-64 MC P-64 Westerner with an original.

The Classics from the ‘90s have worked well for me as huntiing rifles. One last point, I have a 6.5 Gibbs built on a PF early ‘80s USRAC XTR FWT - originally a 257R - with a 26¨SS barrel and the original factory free-floated wood stock, which is one of my most accurate rifles.

So, IMHO what you buy should depend on what you are looking for. The rest of us have our opinions, but figuring out what you want from the rifle needs to be your task. At least, if you want to be happy with your choice.

Good advice

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

blush laugh. I guess that might tell you something. I'd rather buy a new savage or tikka, than a Singapore made model 70 shocked sick

Singapore now lol.. damn them model 70's made all over the place where next China?

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Singapore now lol.. damn them model 70's made all over the place where next China?

Maybe, if the labor is cheaper there... Damn dude, isn't it past your bedtime or is the aroraborealis keeping you up? Oh hey, my savage shoots like this:
[Linked Image]

Post your best 10 shot group (at 100 yards) from your extreme weather buddy... wink

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Maybe, if the labor is cheaper there... Damn dude, isn't it past your bedtime or is the aroraborealis keeping you up? Oh hey, my savage shoots like this:
[Linked Image]

Post your best 10 shot group (at 100 yards) from your extreme weather buddy... wink

Lol look at you.. getting all cocky lol... you must of found some of grandpas cough medicine lol.. Im glad that savage makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside I'm happy for you... don't forget Alaska is an hour behind you numb nuts, so it's way past your beddy time..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Many of the die hard pre64 fans will probably disagree but having owned both pre 64's and newer FN made model 70's a BACO FN made model 70 is as good as it gets with respect to finish and accuracy. I'll admit the older model 70 style trigger is a better design but a lighter spring in the MOA trigger is definitely livable with to me.

I agree if we are talking about the early made South Carolina BACO's. Quality firearms and equally as good as pre 64's, not withstanding personal bias with the difference in triggers. JMO.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Originally Posted by Ghostman

I agree if we are talking about the early made South Carolina BACO's. Quality firearms and equally as good as pre 64's, not withstanding personal bias with the difference in triggers. JMO.

Agree with the statement about the early South Carolina offerings. I just bought a couple of New Haven M70 Stainless Steel Classic FW (243 and 308) that I am waiting to arrive. One is a 5 digit and the other a low 6 digit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
x10, the 2 South Carolina M70’s I have experience with were flawless. Never had an issue with the Pre-64s or any of the late 80’s early 90’s XTR’s either. That about sums up my M70 preferences. Don’t like the Portugal ones or the late NH classics, as BobinNH used to say “project in a box”, he was spot on in this regard.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Came across a pre-64 FWT in 308 close to home. Took BSA1917hunter's advice and bought it. It is a high condition gun complete with scope, sling, etc. Appreciate all above suggestions. Will post a picture. Thanks again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Citori16
Came across a pre-64 FWT in 308 close to home. Took BSA1917hunter's advice and bought it. It is a high condition gun complete with scope, sling, etc. Appreciate all above suggestions. Will post a picture. Thanks again.

Very nice!! The pre 64 fwt is a good one to have in the collection.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Citori16

That’s a great snag!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I think BSA is spot on about the cheap painted trigger guards. I would be happy to pay a few more dollars for a steel version if I was looking to buy one. I have a NH Model 70 with a nice blued steel floor plate and it came with a cheap painted pot metal trigger guard. I replaced the guard with one of Matt Williams guards and also replaced the cheap cast extractor with a spring steel blued extractor from Matt. It's smooth as glass.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by model70man
I think BSA is spot on about the cheap painted trigger guards. I would be happy to pay a few more dollars for a steel version if I was looking to buy one. I have a NH Model 70 with a nice blued steel floor plate and it came with a cheap painted pot metal trigger guard. I replaced the guard with one of Matt Williams guards and also replaced the cheap cast extractor with a spring steel blued extractor from Matt. It's smooth as glass.

That being said, I have two EW that have the pot metal trigger guards. Is there an aftermarket alternative still inproduction?

Thanks,

Kansan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kansan
Originally Posted by model70man

That being said, I have two EW that have the pot metal trigger guards. Is there an aftermarket alternative still inproduction?

Thanks,

Kansan

I replaced the pot metal bottom metal on my new FWT with a Williams bottom metal from Brownells. Fit perfectly and looks awesome, definitely top shelf quality....but pricey

Rob
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.