Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
any suggestions? Its the current model 629-6 with a 4 inch barrel.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A couple possibilities:

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...-k-l-n-frame-scope-mount-prod120980.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...w-k-l-n-frame-scope-mount-prod26011.aspx

But mainly I would question why one would put one on a 4" S&W? 7" or more, I can see it...

Anyhoo - Weigand Combat makes pretty good stuff..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
good question, and the answer is presbyopia!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Religious thing huh?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. Y’all like the vortex viper? I am thinking 3MOA dot.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot with a guy that just had red dots mounted on several of his revolvers, even a S&W 43c which is a snub nosed DAO 22. We shot a match this weekend (pocket gun concealed carry match) and he shot 2 entries, one with a red dot, the other just like it but with irons. Irons, he got 21 A zone hits, red dot he got 33 A zone hits if I'm remembering correctly. It certainly makes a difference to a guy that just can't see the front sight.

I have an RMR with the 3.5 MOA dot that I like really well and I have a JPoint with an 8 MOA dot on my steel challenge gun. Bigger dot isn't really any faster that I can tell but the RMR has a bright red dot where the JPoint is more of an orange dot. My 629 Mountain gun is drilled and tapped but as long as I can see the Dawson FO front sight, I'll stay with it but it has crossed my mind.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh crap! I like that mini mount!!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. .
Makes perfect sense... I'm in the same boat and have red dots mounted on three handguns, but all are with longer barrels.. It was the short barrel you have that caused the question..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Burris FF on a M69 4.2 inch mounted on just a Weaver base and so far it is good to go. They make the same for a M629.
Sometimes simple is so nice.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This might be of interest:

AllchinGunParts
Smith & Wesson Mini STS Scope Mount

https://www.allchingunparts.com/col...ts/smith-wesson-mini-sts-scope-mount-new

Picture of my N Frame with the above -- should work fine any recent 4" S&W drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

[Linked Image]

Paul

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Redneck
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. .
Makes perfect sense... I'm in the same boat and have red dots mounted on three handguns, but all are with longer barrels.. It was the short barrel you have that caused the question..

The red dot takes sight radius out of the picture, so it doesn't really matter what the barrel length is other than velocity and how it feels in recoil. if anything, one can argue there's more advantage using the red dot on a short barrel to work around that short sight radius.

Short barrels can do just as well at distance as long barrels, especially when sight radius is not part of the equation.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/23/18.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Paul, good information. I like that mount.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Just curious... did you try to get a prescription for shooting glasses at that length? Not sure how your distance is but you can bifocal it as well. A lot more scopes and dots are going on mine. Even did a Glock 35 MOS for deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m pretty sure Trigicon makes an RMR mount for S&W revolvers

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have the Vortex mounted on a GP-100 with a stupid looking mount. I like it a lot for hunting. I just bought a Burris Fast Fire 3, 3MOA for my S&W model 69. It's even a little smaller. I'm going to use a Raptor Engineering mount as soon as it hits the mailbox. Should be lighter and cleaner looking all around. I just hope the Burris holds up to a life of shooting "300grs of fury."

PS... I really like that Freedom Arms.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I shoot with a guy that just had red dots mounted on several of his revolvers, even a S&W 43c which is a snub nosed DAO 22. We shot a match this weekend (pocket gun concealed carry match) and he shot 2 entries, one with a red dot, the other just like it but with irons. Irons, he got 21 A zone hits, red dot he got 33 A zone hits if I'm remembering correctly. It certainly makes a difference to a guy that just can't see the front sight.

I have an RMR with the 3.5 MOA dot that I like really well and I have a JPoint with an 8 MOA dot on my steel challenge gun. Bigger dot isn't really any faster that I can tell but the RMR has a bright red dot where the JPoint is more of an orange dot. My 629 Mountain gun is drilled and tapped but as long as I can see the Dawson FO front sight, I'll stay with it but it has crossed my mind.

I've seen women who have never shot a handgun go from barely hitting the paper with open sights go to decent 2" groups with a red dot on a .22.

Her BF came down to my lane and asked if I could help his GF.

I went down and helped her a little with trigger control and basic hold and importance of the front sight.

She got most on the paper after that and on a hunch I went back to my bench and got my Ruger Mark II with a first generation Holosight on it and she shot so much better she was very excited.

She asked him why he didn't have a gun like that. It's hard to make women happy.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Yes I religiously cannot focus up close anymore. Y’all like the vortex viper? I am thinking 3MOA dot.

I have a Leupold Delta Point Pro I like on a Glock 40.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

[Linked Image]

Weigand makes a small mount that I use on a 5" M29.

Was using it today, and shot a couple quick groups @100 yards using Idaho 1945s powder coated cast bullets.

This one went into 4"s

[Linked Image]

While adjusting the sights, had one "fluke" group sneak in there. Those are the kind that people claim they can do "all day" crazy

[Linked Image]

Personally I am happy with 4"s at 100 yards. That will do for Muleys or elk or coyotes.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a JP and mount on my S&W PC 629 Light Hunter. Works a charm. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-SWR

Hunt Africa while you can
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
How much adjustment does the JP have?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.