-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks like black friday special pricing is active now at the major online retailers. I am seeing a $400 rebate on the 100-400L2. Perhaps give Joel a call

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I saw that price as well....Pretty tempting for a great lens

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd second the Canon 100-400 for outdoor sports. Cookie has both the old and new models. The newer model is very crisp and a bit quicker on focus. With a crop sensor (1.6 multiplier) one would effectively be packing a 160 to 640 mm unit.

Also quite durable, as I ran over Cookie's EOS 50D last week with a Ford 350 crew cab pickup. Camera is shot, but lens handled it beautifully. My head is now shaped somewhat differently, but the doc says it should be fine in a week or so.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/21/18.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
A backyard photo with the new 7D Mk II
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Very nice. The detail in the dog's hair is outstanding.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks. Still getting used to all the new settings as far as AF/shooting modes. Trying to capture photos of dogs playing in the backyard will test the camera and cameraman, it seems!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duckster
So, I was given a gift certificate for a local camera store by the parents of our cross country team for taking and sharing photos for the season. Not why I take them but it was a really nice gesture. So my question is, what would be the best to upgrade? Lens or body?

Current body: Canon 7D (purchased used from a 'Fire member), Rebel T3i

Current lenses: Canon 18-135 STM, Canon 18-135 USM, Canon 50mm STM f1.8, Canon 24mm f2.8, Canon 70-300 USM II

I mostly do sports (T&F and cross country, landscape and wildlife). I don't do a lot of indoor sports, a couple of indoor track meets each year. I have rented the Canon 70-200 IS f2.8 for such events in the past

Thinking that it makes the most sense to upgrade my body, possibly to the 7D Mk II. Not interested in changing brands at this point. I am happy with Canon.

I'd not wanna suffer the body or glass cited.

Better to back up a Generation or two,procure a Pro body and stay the course with "L" glass.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Not as rich as you, to go all L lenses

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision.

Buy smart and pass on the schit.

Hint.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Move the 70-300 and both 18-135, add in your gift cerftificate and get the best 70-200 you can. a non-Is 2.8 if you can manage it, IS if you can afforde it. Id always choose the bigger apperture over the IS when talking sports as your shutter speed will somewhat negate the benefit of IS. The 7d is a fine little body. Older 1D are very nice but, I think one always chooses glass over body and imho , your long glass is your weak spot.
I've seen your work and fundamentally its solid. Where there is room for improvement is isolating your subject from the clutter. You are going to achieve this three ways. The first and most important is thinking about where you stand and setting it up so the background is clean and hopefully distant. Sometimes kneeling can change everything. The Second is to crop tighter and tighter, then tighter some more. The last is that longer and bigger aperture glass. You can isolate with Bokeh shooting wide open and more length makes tighter crops possible. Equipment is important but, no panacea and you always need to use what you got, right?
Throw your long glass on the 7d and that 24 on the rebel for the jube(celebrations). Leave them there and focus on where ypu are and whats behind what you are shooting.

NRA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buffer depth,frame rate,finite focus control,metering and the ability to pick/choose function interpolation(s) and ISO handling capabilities...are all 100% functions of the body. Hint.

The 7D is a Lemon,with nothing redeeming in it's regard.

Once you taste a killer body's resolve,it will ALL make sense. Until then,you are trying to see,what you can't picture. Pun intended.

Backing up is easy,adding "reach" is not.

Hint....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just perused KEH and 1D3's are under $500...though I'd slam their "Bargain" billing and buy the $373 one. Hint.

A 7D is a fhuqking buckboard wagon,pulled by a 3-legged Sloth,in comparison. With the '3,you'll be able to see where it's you or the mechanics,which is why you started the Thread. Hint.

KNOWING,trumps Guessing.

Hint............................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1D3/100-400(Version 1),isolation bokeh.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'........................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Nother 1D3/100-400 V1 Bokeh Burn.

[Linked Image]

Hint.......................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!

[Linked Image]

Same combo again.

Hint.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooooopsie.

[Linked Image]

Same combo again.

Hint.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooooopsie...a fhuqking 'nother.

1000 words on 1D3/100-400 V1 buffer depth/frame rate,metering and IQ poured outta camera. JPEG. Hint. laughing!

We'll save Bokeh for later. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Laughing!.....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooooooopsie!

[Linked Image]

Laughing!................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The silence will be DEAFENING.(grin)

Hint........................

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I agree the 1D3 is pretty solid, and once you go there there's no going back. Only knock I'd give it is for highschool ball you go to some pretty dark places and the 7d iso range is much better in that regard. I've got a 1D3 if the OP wants to go that way. I think glass is still the low hanging fruit here and obviously something within budget is the way to go. Dude is right basically about the 1d3 v 7d thing though it's probably a horizontal move not an upgrade and not really what you were asking but, there some validity there though.
This fan boy thing for the 100-400 is just crazy though. If you want a slow, softish and small aperture zoom get a 70-200 and put a 2x teleconverter on it and then at least you can have a top shelf lens some of the time. If you need any validation on that just scan the sidelines at pro and D1 sports or the Olympics. You don't see long white lenses with black hoods, they are all white hoods, black hoods are hanging on slings. That's just reality. Anecdotally pulling a few shots out of your catalog doesn't make f5.6 2.8 somehow, that aperture has utility. Maybe on the steppe of Alaska it's not as important, maybe things are spread out over the plain and separation is easy but, the OP is shooting clusters of runners with challenging backgrounds. His needs might be different.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.